StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put an Elka on my 2012 this winter and decided I would put the old shock on my 2005. With only 10k miles on it (the shock) I figured it would make a nice upgrade.

The 2012 shock has a longer stroke, although it measured the same eye to eye. I am using shorter links (raised the rear @1"). The shorter link also reduces the leverage against the shock, slightly raising the spring rate and dampening. (doesn't actually change it, put has less effect)

It was an easy swap and, as I said makes for a nice upgrade to the older wee without investing in another Elka. (for now!)

I have had limited opportunies to ride it (Ohio winters), but the chassis attitude, static sag, and general operation are promising. I may make a slight rebound adjustment when I get a chance to ride more but I like it so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a 2012 650 shock on my 2007. But I'm 220 lbs (street clothes), so wondering if I'd still have to upgrade to a stiffer spring.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You're probably okay for solo with luggage or two up without. Two up with luggage may be iffy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run about 185 lbs over the winter and I have had a chance to do some short rides. I have the shock set at minimum preload and almost minimum rebound and it is plenty stiff for my weight.

I think, at 220 lbs, you would be fine with a 2012 shock and spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts