StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally done a long enough ride to know I need a different seat, or I'm gonna be crippled. I will try the Spencer seat mod first. If that doesn't do the trick, it'll be another Russell.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've finally done a long enough ride to know I need a different seat, or I'm gonna be crippled. I will try the Spencer seat mod first. If that doesn't do the trick, it'll be another Russell.
Haha.....rode my Dad's 2012 last week, and while I agree, the new seat is much better than previous, it would not keep me happy for more than 2hrs.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it was 2.5 hours that did me in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
lol, I get an aching butt if I sit on the comfy sofa for 2 and a half hours straight. Do these aftermarket seats really keep your butt comfy for over 3hrs straight?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done 14 hours on the Russell and 12+ on a Spencer-modded DL1000 seat. They're still a pain in the arse, but not so much compared to stock. The Sargent was also quite a bit better than stock.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see one in my future too. I'm comfortable for a half hour before I start to feel the seat pan beneath me.

I'd like to have something a little taller too. I've found out that I'm not a Corbin guy! Had a Sargent on a VFR that was pretty good but I love the Russell on the FJR

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I can ride all day, for multiple days with my Corbin, and not have a sore rump.....get fatigued in other areas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are there any seats yet out for the 2012 Vstrom? All I see from the manufacturers are -2011 models!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just picked up my 2012 650 on Saturday and rode it back 150 miles from the dealer, enough to know I need a different seat for long rides. I'm going to order an additional seat and send it off to Russel. I had a Russel on my 1200 GS and loved it. I'll use the stock seat around town and the Russel for trips.

Walt

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check out Baldwin motorbike saddles.

amazing custom work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
memory foam...

I have had very good luck taking my bike seats to someone who was able to shave off one inch of stock foam and replace it with one inch of good quality memory foam. It makes a "big" difference since all I have is skin pulled over bones for a butt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This coming Sunday I will be putting 1100 miles on my new adv., and I soon will know if the stock seat will be replaced. ( after reading ya'lls post about discomfort, I am concerned.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
This coming Sunday I will be putting 1100 miles on my new adv., and I soon will know if the stock seat will be replaced. ( after reading ya'lls post about discomfort, I am concerned.)
In my experiences with bikes, there is no stock seat that is comfortable on long rides. About three years ago, I bought a Mustang seat for my Shadow and I was amazed at the difference in comfort on longer trips. As soon as they start making some seats for the 2012 wee, I will purchase one! So far, no manufacturer has them listed yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How many of us with say >200lbs have this problem and how many with <200lbs are happy with the stock seat? Since Im over 200 I expect a little discomfort riding long distances, and I do, but compared with my old 76 XS650 Yamaha stock seat its a lounge chair. Even at 160lbs it was sheer torture riding that bike more than 100 miles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I find the seat on my 12 to be one of most comfortable stock seats I've had (20 bikes). I put 1000 mi. on a Valkyrie with a custom seat but to do long rides I need a sheep skin to sit on. I use gel seats also but the sheepskin allows air to circulate keeping my butt from burning. This might be all you need to change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i did a 200 mile ride on Sunday and found no discomfort at all. It was 32 degrees out and I had layers on so that may have helped. For now, I'm good withthe stocker.

Mitch

·
Registered
342 Posts
In my experiences with bikes, there is no stock seat that is comfortable on long rides. About three years ago, I bought a Mustang seat for my Shadow and I was amazed at the difference in comfort on longer trips. As soon as they start making some seats for the 2012 wee, I will purchase one! So far, no manufacturer has them listed yet.
Did Mustang ever make a saddle for the "original" Wee-strom in its what, 8 years of production? I have one on my Kawasaki VN750 cruiser and it is fabulous, meanwhile a 250 mile day trip I took a few weekends ago had me feeling like the 2012 stock seat was kind of hard. Nothing I didn't recover from after 30 minutes or so off the saddle but not all-day comfortable like the Mustang.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I find the seat on my 12 to be one of most comfortable stock seats I've had (20 bikes). I put 1000 mi. on a Valkyrie with a custom seat but to do long rides I need a sheep skin to sit on. I use gel seats also but the sheepskin allows air to circulate keeping my butt from burning. This might be all you need to change.
Pretty much the same. I've done several long rides (~8 hours) and the stock seat is more comfortable for me than the stock seat plus sheepskin. Obviously there will be differences rider to rider, but it's damned good for a stock seat.

More comfortable as well than my modified K6 seat which was good for 14 hour days.

Pete

1 - 20 of 424 Posts