StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've had my 2012 Vstrom 650 for a few months now. For some reason, I feel like I end up sitting on my man bits with this seat position. I searched for a seat mod, but am wondering what you fellows have done to help resolve this. I plan on doing a 1300 mile ride yet this summer / fall, and would like a solution ahead of time.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Short of modifying the seat try a Sit&Fly (ebay or ADV rider) cover, about 30 bucks. Makes any bad seat (and even good ones) a lot better. At that cost always worth a try and if it is not the solution keep it for the next seat. This cover is on all my seats.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Russell Day Long.
Short of that
Terry Adcox, if he is still in business.
I took my brand new 2012 650 on a 3800 mile week, and was miserable. Got home, sent the seat to Terry in Tennessee, incredible difference.
On my current 2014 DL1000, I rode 3 hours south to Russell Day Long near Redding.
Money ? Yes, but every single moment I'm on those seats, it's pain free, and worth every dollar.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Certainly the first gen Wee's, and likely the rest of the family, have seats shaped such that one tends to slide forward (onto whatever is in one's path along the seat). $400 for a seat just ain't in the cards for me, the whole bike cost $500. My solution was $20. Unstaple the cover, modify the foam, and restaple. I've done it to a bunch of bikes. It's not hard, though I have had a re-do or two.

Specifically, I cut the step in the seat back about 1-1.5", took 1" off the top everywhere I was likely to come in contact (but less off as I went forward, this is what keeps me from sliding fwd), replaced that with 1" of slightly firmer foam, carved a shallow bowl for my ass and a deeper channel up the center for balls and coccyx. The "bowl" leaves me "IN" the seat a bit more than on it and increases the contact patch for better weight distribution. The extra thickness left up front keeps me from sliding forward. I have ridden at least a dozen 1000+ mile days since then. Just got back from several 600-800 mile days at the height of the heat wave. Never did my ass (or balls) bother me. And I'll second the recommendation above: the Sit n Fly seat cover won't fix the shape, but it is The Best $25 Moto Accessory Ever.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The slope of the stock seat is just a bad design. So many have replaced the seat. First thing I did!
Seat Comfort kit worked for me. But the Russell and Adcock seats are probably better.
Sit n Fly is good for some but not me. I don't have a lot of padding anymore and it gives me waffle butt.
But a really well air conditioned waffle butt in the summer. So I keep it handy.;)

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
RDL x 2. If you ride long days/distance, then a Russell is a wonderful investment. Yes, they are right around $600, but for me pain free miles are priceless. Also remember, you can recover roughly 50% of that $600 if you sell the seat years later....just don't shart on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Try these:

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Try these:

You forgot these:

Duluth Bullpen

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Bead Rider seat cover can sometimes help. Since no two backsides are the same, means that there's no one answer!
Good Luck

Reactions: Macdoc

·
Registered
145 Posts
Based on some FB posts, I'm not sure if Terry is still active. I know he had gotten ill right around the beginning of the year, and based on the timeline my seat would have been one of the last ones done in that timeframe. But I will say that if you have the chance to get a Terry seat, it's a great upgrade over stock. As in I've done a 1200 mile weekend on it (mostly interstate to get from NC to TN) and I never once had to use my beaded add on or blow up cover. It also keeps my sciatic from getting aggravated. I'm planning a trip out there again this weekend and I'm not dreading the highway miles like the previous trips out to the region.

The downside is that he probably won't get to it until about 6 months from now if you do get into the queue as he doesn't work over the summer months. It's a very worthy upgrade and worth the money.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Has anyone experienced Saddlemen?
I have not had personal experience with this product - but basing my opinion on the photograph, the elevated rolls are right where my sitz bones would be. YMMV

·
Registered
2020 1290 Adventure S
352 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
You may just need to make a brief stop every 2 hours, maybe even 1.5 hours. Interstates are by far the worse for comfort. My sargeant seat extends the seat time for me but I still tend to take that 2 hour brief stop and stretch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was having seat issues with my '12 650, but solved it with bar risers that also had about 1½" of set back. My 650's seat has a rise right before it ends at the gas tank, being 5'7" that's where I normally sat, which rotated my hips and put a strain on my lower back. The risers pushed me back just enough to get me off that hump and into the flat part of the seat. Now I can ride for hours and not be in pain.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I had the same issue on my '12 wee. I purchased a Sargent seat and it helped a bit but I still could only stand it for a few hours and then the same pain came back, so I sent it back. I then found a used Russel Day Long for $225 and have loved it so much that I would have had no issue paying the $600 for a new one if I had known it would have been this great. I just got back from a trip in Colorado and I did 300+ mile consecutive days and was ready to ride more. No pain or discomfort at all.

Getting rid of the cotton underwear also helped a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you for everyone's replies. I think I will start off with some more supportive undergarments that may hold things in place better. That was my biggest complaint, not so much butt pain, but discomfort up front from the pitch of the seat. If that helps, good. I am very interested in the Saddlemen with it's unique design.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The OEM seat design does force your cahones to rest up against the front portion of the seat that resembles a camel hump. My remedy was to get a custom seat that fits my butt, takes pressure off of those sit bones, puts me further back in the seat and did require me to raise the handlebars and set them further towards me. Took the pressure off my jewels and my butt and my wrists. I live relatively close to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA. and he and his crew do a good job. I've had the seat now for 6 years and I'm very happy since I can experience an all day ride without complaints from my butt or cahones.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts