StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Have read a few threads on this product and have purchased the V system. I've also looked at the Scottolier website for some further install tips. Overall the install looks pretty straight forward. One query I havent been able to answer yet is that to get to the vacuum connection it looks like I will need to lift the fuel tank to access the vacuum hose and route the hose to the oil reservoir ? Just thought I ask your opinions before I start the install.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have one on order as well. I'm planning on pulling all the plastics and the gas tank to make my electrical add-ons easier to install. I'll do the oiler at the same time.

My bike is outside under a snow covered fabric cover so I can't double check, but I seem to recall the emissions canister is located next to the seat tray on the opposite side of the bike to the drive chain. That might be a good place to tap.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That isn't a vacuum canister. It's a charcoal canister that has a vent to the tank on one side and a purge tube to the throttle body on the other side. People trying to use it as a vacuum canister for an Audiovox cruise control found it doesn't hold a vacuum. There are capped spigots on the throttle bodies to be used for TBS connections that are your best vacuum sources.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
That isn't a vacuum canister. It's a charcoal canister that has a vent to the tank on one side and a purge tube to the throttle body on the other side.
Got it -- would have found that out after taking the plastic off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and tips! I was wondering if the T piece that came with the scottoiler V will plug straight into the 2012 vac hose, i.e. is that vac hose the same inside diameter as the pre 2012 stroms? Thought I should check before I start cutting the hose.

Thanks

·
38,048 Posts
There are vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. The pre 2012 ports take 1/8" tightly, 5/32" or 4mm ID vacuum hose. I would think the 2012s would be the same. Once again, the bikes do not come with vacuum hoses, just ports. The hoses on the throttle bodies are for emissions control and can't be used for vacuum.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. The pre 2012 ports take 1/8" tightly, 5/32" or 4mm ID vacuum hose. I would think the 2012s would be the same. Once again, the bikes do not come with vacuum hoses, just ports. The hoses on the throttle bodies are for emissions control and can't be used for vacuum.
Ok thanks Grey Wolf, install is now complete the oiler seems to be working fine. The most difficult part was as I suspected removing the tank plastic. I found the instructions in the factory handbook to be a tad vague but overall pretty good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok thanks Grey Wolf, install is now complete the oiler seems to be working fine. The most difficult part was as I suspected removing the tank plastic. I found the instructions in the factory handbook to be a tad vague but overall pretty good.
The plastic tank sides are VERY TIGHT. I don't remember which direction they move but I had one off about 2 weeks ago. It has to slide before it will come outward. I thought it would break before it moved but it didn't.

·
38,048 Posts
Fuel Tank Removal How to, 650 & 1000
The side cowlings move forward to disconnect a dog in heat connection at the top. A little silicone grease on the grommet eases the transition and helps prevent pushing the grommet out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I must beg to differ, on the point that there are no ports on the 2012 throttle bodies with nipples and not hoses. One set leads up to the air filters, and one set seems to lead to the sensors. I presume I'll be inserting a T-junction in the set that goes up to the filters. Work still in progress...

·
Registered
180 Posts
How did the tapping of the vacuum work? I didn't find nipple-capped ports.

·
38,048 Posts
Page 1D-15 of the 2012 DL650 service manual has instructions for doing a throttle valve sync. Step 3 is to connect the respective vacuum tester hoses (2) to the vacuum nipples. The picture doesn't show the nipples but they are mentioned in the text and to hoses run under the throttle bodies which is where the nipples on the older bikes are located. I wish my new bike would come in so I can get personal experience with all this stuff. Hoses between the throttle bodies and the airbox should be emissions plumbing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Page 1D-15 of the 2012 DL650 service manual has instructions for doing a throttle valve sync. Step 3 is to connect the respective vacuum tester hoses (2) to the vacuum nipples. The picture doesn't show the nipples but they are mentioned in the text and to hoses run under the throttle bodies which is where the nipples on the older bikes are located. I wish my new bike would come in so I can get personal experience with all this stuff. Hoses between the throttle bodies and the airbox should be emissions plumbing.
I'm glad to have that same manual. I started from those instructions and the photo and am working around from there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I connected mine up as per the pictures from the Scottoiler web site. Even though the pic showed the vacuum connection suggestion was from the older model my oiler works fine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
V-Scottoiler installed.

Removing the side panels to be able to lift the tank, turned out to be a real PITA - the 5 pages step by step in the users manual was a life saver.

Pictures of the Scottoiler, plumbing and injector:

I tapped of the vacuum as suggested on the Scottoiler web site (couldn't find any spare vacuum nipples).

Close up:

Same place from a distance:

The final result:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Removing the side panels to be able to lift the tank, turned out to be a real PITA - the 5 pages step by step in the users manual was a life saver.

I tapped of the vacuum as suggested on the Scottoiler web site (couldn't find any spare vacuum nipples).
Thanks for the great pictures! I also didn't find spare vacuum nipples, so the confirmation is nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts