StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Great forum. I've heard about it for some time now on the ADV forum. I'm ready to drink the Wee Kool-Aid for the first time. I know the 2012's are probably in demand at the dealers, but I'm wondering what people are paying, (especially in Central Texas) just so I have a sense of whether or not I'd be wasting my time trying to get the salesman to negotiate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was quoted $7500 +TTL in the Chattanooga, TN and North Ga markets. One dealer had no "doc" fee and the other had a $99 fee. Extremely reasonable for this bike.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Keep in mind that there have to be at least two items on the negotiating table. There must be something you want more than the other, and vice versa for the other party. If a lower price is what you need, what can you offer---rapid purchase, or purchase-for-sure, or what? Some dealers might give the lower price if you just ask for it, and others might need to see that you are serious about buying. And, some won't dicker.

Are you ready to buy, now, if the dealer cuts the price, what?, $200 or $300 or what? Know what you want and what you'll walk away from. If you need a lower price, be sure the dealer knows for sure that you'll walk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here in the Peoples Republic of California they are going for $8299 + TTL (and that is NOT the Adventure model). Like PTRider said "Know what you want and what you'll walk away from."

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi All,

Great forum. I've heard about it for some time now on the ADV forum. I'm ready to drink the Wee Kool-Aid for the first time. I know the 2012's are probably in demand at the dealers, but I'm wondering what people are paying, (especially in Central Texas) just so I have a sense of whether or not I'd be wasting my time trying to get the salesman to negotiate.
Don't over look the fire sale price on the new 2011's remaining along with the special pricing including bags on these remaining wee's. :thumbup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Any other actual prices in the US? (NY/NJ Area)
Thanks,
Michael
Just got my 2012 in NY (Long Island) for about $7750 before TTL - $9K exactly after TTL (8.875% sales tax, over $100 for title, regi, plate, inspection) and some OEM accessories installed for pickup (hand guards, center stand), which is also taxed at 8.875%. As a price for their first bike uncrated I was pretty happy.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hmmm...sounds good, but I don't see them. Can you provide a link for one of them?
I just checked and all I found is a bike currently listed from a dealership in Cherry Hill, NJ (not far outside of Philadelphia) with a "Buy It Now" price of $7,349:

Suzuki : VSTROM DL650A 650AL Suzuki : VSTROM DL650A 650AL | eBay

The unknown reserve price has not been met, which may in theory be even lower than the Buy It Now! price.

Before you get too excited, the auction's fine print also adds that there will be a separate $500 charge (read: "eBay doesn't get a cut of this, you pay to us directly on delivery") for delivery and prep. So you're back up to the $7700-7800 range that people are generally reporting.

All New product sales will have a DEALER FEE of $498.00 added to the end of auction price. This fee consists of a $100.00 motorcycle assembly & preparation fee, $98 documentation fee (clerical), and a destination/freight fee of $300 (for shipping unit from manufacturer to dealer). On Used product sales only the documentation fee of $98 will be collected.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are 3 for sale right now on fleaBay, buy it now, $7350, $7500, & $7700 +TTL in your home state. Road trip???
I know what the dealer price is and I don't think you'll be picking one up for $7,350 plus tax. Here's the deal: Many dealers pop off a super price and then show you this sales form with pre printed amounts of $100 here and $250 there and another $36 here sometimes up to $1,000 of stuff. I have a copy of one at work with these big bold numbers already printed on the blank form. It has over $1,300 in items added on that don't inlcude the bike, license, or tax. They act like those things are the same on all bikes and charged by all dealers. I'll conceed that license and registration is the same for a given state but that's about it. I've been to a car dealer that even said it was "law" that they charge a documentation fee. NOPE! It's not. We got into a little discussion when I said that for $340 I think I'll take the paperwork to the courthouse but he said the law required the dealership to. Uh, I don't think so.

There are even dealers who say that "out the door" just includes the bike, tax, license and registration fee. Those dealers want to add a bunch more $ in items that just go into their bottom line. When you call or visit a dealer, ask this question "What is the grand total required to purchase this Vstrom including everything you charge to complete the sale, get the bike ready for me and register it in my name with a permanent license plate on it?" Not all dealers play this crazy game. In some areas they all do and in some areas none do. It doesn't matter so much as long as you compare the bottom line. Just be sure to get the actual very bottom line.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Unfortunately no, I don't know of any dealers in the DFW area that have one right now either, but if you call corporate Suzuki in CA they can tell you who all has one closest to you, that's what I did back in 07 trying to locate an ABS model, hard to do back then, there were only 3 at the time in our 5 state area

·
Registered
19 Posts
eBay Cherry Hill Strom

Auction was ended early. I am guessing due to the recall.

Thanks to all.

The more pricing info the better.

Michael

·
Registered
90 Posts
At the IMS cycle show in Dallas six or eight weeks ago, and I guess at all IMS shows, Suzuki was giving out a two hundred dollar discount coupon that my dealer gladly honored when I paid for my 2012 adv. model. The discount was from Suzuki, and didn't cut into my dealers profit.( of our sale price.)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts