StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the 2011 and 2012 650 abs? I don't like "Fox Orange" and I may be able to buy a new 2011 about 1900.00 cheaper. Will the troops bring me up to speed? thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
There's a huge difference. They refreshed the Wee in 2012. Different engine for starters.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What are the differences between the 2011 and 2012 650 abs? I don't like "Fox Orange" and I may be able to buy a new 2011 about 1900.00 cheaper. Will the troops bring me up to speed? thanks.
Off the top of my head:

- Gladius instead of SV650 engine
- New cylinders, pistons, valves, camshafts, plating materials
- Flatter torque and power curves (more midrange grunt)
- slightly lighter, much better mass centralization
- slightly improved fuel economy, smaller tank, same range
- improved rear suspension
- redesigned front cowling and stance - improved aerodynamics
- redesigned windscreen, may or may not work for all riders
- all new fairings
- new dashboard and onboard computer (fuel consumption, temp, etc)
- redesigned seat - many say it's more comfortable
- slightly different seat-peg-bars ergos
- next-generation Bosch ABS controller, works pretty well on dirt

Only you can decide whether it's worth the extra $$$ over a screaming deal on a 2011.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Let me help you out...it is.
Well, yeah. But being the owner of a 2012, I wanted to avoid the appearance of bias or impropriety. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'12dl

Thanks Snowkarver for doing the homework for me. I read a review and knew it got a new sv series engine, but those are some significant upgrades. How many miles have you put on it, and what tires are you going to run when you put on tires?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why would a new engine be a plus?

Why would a new engine be a plus? One of the main things attracting me to the Wee is bulletproof track record of the long standing motor....

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Why would a new engine be a plus? One of the main things attracting me to the Wee is bulletproof track record of the long standing motor....
The motor has been out in the Gladius for a couple of years with no serious issues I've heard of , I've owned both and the 2012 is ... better ... maybe not worth twice as much, but 10% more ?, I'd still go for the new one.

Peter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, this is my first post on this forum. Im glad I saw this thread. I am considering getting rid of my 09 KLR650 for a V-Strom. I am just starting my education about them. Sounds to me like I need to wait a year and see if I can get a 2012 slightly used or on clearance.

So, is the V-Strom like a KLR in any way? I mean, the KLR needs alot of farkling when purchased brand new to get it to be comfy and to add a little power and throttle response. I love the KLR and may keep it and get a strom, but ive put 7500 miles on the KLR since february and i am starting to get bored with it on the freeway. Its gutless.

What are all the major factory screw ups with say a 2011 and older strom? What do I need to be aware of when purchasing a used strom?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Isn't a $1900 (plus tax? which would be more like $2000) closer to a 20% difference between a '11 and '12? It sounds like an easy decision to me. To be upfront with my bias, I bought an ever so slightly used '09 this past winter. There are some good deals out there both on used and left over '11's. While I have little doubt the '12's are 'better', the older ones are surely 'not bad'. My perspective on bikes is I like to experience a lot of different machines and usually only keep them 1-3 years typically (for my daily drivers, 'collectibles' are a different story).

Considering the new leftover '11 will still have warranty and is still a new bike, $2k will buy a lot of farkles....and lower initial cost may result in slightly lower depreciation (meaning you can have more left over for the next bike purchase when you sell this one!).

On the other hand, if you are one to keep a bike for a long time, then the '12 is probably the better answer.

I would expect them both to 'function' well and put a smile on your face. Banf for the buck is higher in my book if I could get a fully farkeled '11 for the price of a bare bones '12. If one takes the 'better' argument to the extreme you would probably be looking at a different bike anyway, depending on budget I suppose.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks Snowkarver for doing the homework for me. I read a review and knew it got a new sv series engine, but those are some significant upgrades. How many miles have you put on it, and what tires are you going to run when you put on tires?
4000 miles and loved every one. I'm planning a 3000 mile adventure through WA, ID, MT, WY and OR later this summer and have no doubt that this will be a machine to pull it off in fine style.

I love the twisties and thought about Pilot 3s, but it would also be a shame to not hit the dirt roads once in awhile, so probably Anakees or Battlewings. I'm light and easy on rubber though, so expect at least 12-15 thousand miles or more on the stockers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's still based on the old SV powerplant. My best riding buddy has a '99 SV650 and although many things have been updated, it is still basically the same design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My friends know me better than I know myself.
It's not worth saving $2000.00 to end up saying, I should have gone for the 2012

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be sure and check the Information Vault on this site. They comment on several problems that have been issues from time to time. Most seem to be electrical (....good grief!) and stator/rotor issues are well represented.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The pre 2012 strom is still pretty good.......whereas, the frame is the same for the most part, but it did get a nice freshening. It's a choice of choosing between new good, and old good.......

·
Registered
875 Posts
Isn't a $1900 (plus tax? which would be more like $2000) closer to a 20% difference between a '11 and '12? It sounds like an easy decision to me.
Purchase price is only once factor in cost of ownership...the new one will be worth more when he sells it on because it will depreciate less than the old one. Actual cost of ownership between the two will be similar in the end. Why not get the new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2012 wins over 2011 cheap!

The decision is in. 2012 in Fox orange it is. Now i just need to unload the Gnarly-Davidson (122,000)..1991, and I'm all in troops! Thanks for all your information and comments.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great choice...photos when you take delivery!

:hurray:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pondering this same question. I love my 2007 Wee. Problem is it got hit and totaled by a Honda Accord.

What to do......What to do...........:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts