StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised today to find what I believe is a evap canister under the left side cover of my 2012 model. Then I see the EPA sticker on the frame states that the bike is California emissions compliant. Is this true of all US models, or did I somehow end up with a California model.

My only point of reference is my 2005 wee which does not have the canister or reference to California on the emissions sticker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
appearently this is the case...since 2007.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have a California legal 2007 I bought in Ohio. I've also done work on a 2007 from Washington DC that was not California legal.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My 2009 is not California emissions compliant.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Interesting.......my new 2015 XT has the same "mystery canister" under/behind the left back side panel as well. I must say that it caught me by surprise, and not really sure I want it if it is something the bike does not need to run correctly, and is only another stupid California compliant doohickey.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Not surprising that all new bikes are 50-state compliant. It's easier for distribution that way. Cars have been doing it for some time.

The CA stuff doesn't affect performance -- it just captures gas vapors. Some owners remove it for space considerations and to de-complicate a rat's nest of tubing under the tank. Personal choice.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Not surprising that all new bikes are 50-state compliant. It's easier for distribution that way. Cars have been doing it for some time.

The CA stuff doesn't affect performance -- it just captures gas vapors. Some owners remove it for space considerations and to de-complicate a rat's nest of tubing under the tank. Personal choice.
Thanks for the clarification, yeah it adds a plethora of extra tubing everywhere that is for certain. I am sure I will leave it be, curious as to how many "outside of Cali" with a 2012 and up have this?

·
38,103 Posts
Both my 2007 Wee bought in Ohio and my 2012 Glee bought in Indiana have it. It's best to leave it alone. Models without it have a vented cap that allows air in as fuel level lowers but restricts air out to limit vapors getting into the atmosphere. Models with it do not have a vented cap so the tube from the tank would have to be left open to the atmosphere to vent the tank, making it a worse polluter than the 49 state models.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Both my 2007 Wee bought in Ohio and my 2012 Glee bought in Indiana have it. It's best to leave it alone. Models without it have a vented cap that allows air in as fuel level lowers but restricts air out to limit vapors getting into the atmosphere. Models with it do not have a vented cap so the tube from the tank would have to be left open to the atmosphere to vent the tank, making it a worse polluter than the 49 state models.
Thanks for that response Pat, does the canister wear out or need to be replaced eventually?

·
38,103 Posts
The canister is not a wear or maintenance item. You can basically forget it's there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts