StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the Madstad website, and they have gone into production on Madstad for the 2012 DL650 - it is supposed to be available the middle of February. Apparently they are using the old model, so the stock screen, with it's new configuration, will not work with the Madstad - so, they are selling windshields on their website now.

My personal opinion is the Madstad is one of the most innovative after market parts available for a bike. I had a 2009 DL650 with Madstad and Givi shield - it worked perfectly! - with no buffeting, and adjustable for any riding condition.

Here is the Madstad website:

V-Strom (2012 DL650)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Madstad on my bike kept me from having to sell the thing. The bike was almost unridable due to the intense buffeting. The addtion on the Madstad transformed the bike into pure enjoyment. I am glad that they went with the old style windscreen, instanly giving use dozens of choices.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The Madstad on my bike kept me from having to sell the thing. The bike was almost unridable due to the intense buffeting. The addtion on the Madstad transformed the bike into pure enjoyment. I am glad that they went with the old style windscreen, instanly giving use dozens of choices.
Madstad never solved my buffeting problem... So I bought a MRA vario screen and that worked like a charm... If (when) I buy the new 650... the MRA screen will be my first farkle... that is, if the buffeting situation has not been solved...

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i think most will find the buffeting a non issue on 2012 vstrom - certainly the case for me on my test ride and another 2 new owners i talked to.

If you look at how the new one is designed - it is spaced out from the front of bike, not dissimilar to the design of madstad.

I think madstad will still benefit those want to to change angle and height quickly without tools

·
Registered
38 Posts
Madstad never solved my buffeting problem... So I bought a MRA vario screen and that worked like a charm... If (when) I buy the new 650... the MRA screen will be my first farkle... that is, if the buffeting situation has not been solved...
I still get a little but only when I push the bike over 90mph on the freeway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Only have 500 miles on my 12 but I have little to no buffeting with the windshield in the middle position. Haven't taken the bike over 75 mph yet. I like it! I'm 6'0", 210 lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just checked the Madstad website, and they have gone into production on Madstad for the 2012 DL650 - it is supposed to be available the middle of February. Apparently they are using the old model, so the stock screen, with it's new configuration, will not work with the Madstad - so, they are selling windshields on their website now.

My personal opinion is the Madstad is one of the most innovative after market parts available for a bike. I had a 2009 DL650 with Madstad and Givi shield - it worked perfectly! - with no buffeting, and adjustable for any riding condition.

V-Strom (2012 DL650)
I am currently testing for Madstad their new 2012 version on my 2012 V Strom 650. I was at their factory 11 days ago (Jan 23), I tested the new Madstad on a variety of shapes and sizes of windshields. The new Madstad did a fantastic job on all of them.

The windshield that I am currently using for a longer term evaluation is their 20 inch medium dark screen that looks like it was designed and styled for the V Strom.

So far the Madstad and the new screen are performing well and I am receiving lots of compliments about the style and color of the windshield.

·
Registered
3 Posts

V-Strom (2012 DL650)
I am currently testing for Madstad their new 2012 version on my 2012 V Strom 650. I was at their factory 11 days ago (Jan 23), I tested the new Madstad on a variety of shapes and sizes of windshields. The new Madstad did a fantastic job on all of them.

The windshield that I am currently using for a longer term evaluation is their 20 inch medium dark screen that looks like it was designed and styled for the V Strom.

So far the Madstad and the new screen are performing well and I am receiving lots of compliments about the style and color of the windshield.

·
Registered
13 Posts
madstrad

I think the same think I had the same set-up madstrad and givi and it work perfctly and with a russel seat it had a "goldwingesque" confort.

JYPY650 vee 650 2010 SE :thumbup: madstrad ,giviwinsheild.heated grip,scottoiler.tomtom550 GPS.centerstand, givi crashbar,:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My concern is compatibility between the Madstad and the SW-Motech GPS mount.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filemanager/download/3353/
I bought the mount, all I need now is for the bike to be released.

I'm not going the new windshield route until I know if I need one or not. If I do, the MRA laminar screen will be my first choice. That design has worked well for me since 2005. Madstad was not an option then -- or if it was , nobody knew about it yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts

I am still giving the stock windscreen on the 2012 650 a chance (and waiting for warmer riding weather than 30-40F) but I suspect I would like a winder windshield to keep more of the wind off of my chest and shoulders.

Another plus if I go Givi+Madstad would be support for the "Strombone" GPS mount with the RAM ball attachment that elevates above the dash. I don't think that's a possible system except with Madstad, right? But since the 2012 version is compatible with the pre-2012 shields, doesn't that mean it'd be Strombone compatible too?

·
38,048 Posts
The Strombone attaches to the fairing frame through the windscreen mount rather than to the mount. Unless the 2012 top spacing is exactly the same as the earlier year frames, it will not fit. SW-Motech makes a GPS mount for the 2012. See the PDF link at SW-MOTECH Detachable Vibration-Damped GPS Holder (Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-) - GPS.05.646.10200.B : TwistedThrottle.com as the bike with the green tank in the main pic is not a V-Strom and gives no clue as to the way the item really looks. It looks like it may interfere with the new Madstad right now. I contacted Madstad about it and they are checking. They said it shouldn't be difficult to get it to work if the prototype doesn't as it is now so expect the SW-Motech mount to be the way to go.

·
Registered
342 Posts
SW-Motech makes a GPS mount for the 2012. See the PDF link at SW-MOTECH Detachable Vibration-Damped GPS Holder (Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-) - GPS.05.646.10200.B : TwistedThrottle.com as the bike with the green tank in the main pic is not a V-Strom and gives no clue as to the way the item really looks.
Huh, didn't know about that one - thanks!

So despite the pic being wrong, I can trust the description that says it's for the 2012 DL650? Because as shown it attaches to the handlebars - does that mean the GPS is mounted below the instrument panel rather than above it as the Strombone would do?

If I were looking for a handlebar mounted RAM ball aren't there cheaper and simpler options, or is the vibration dampening element in this module significant?

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I love the madstad on my '09, but those pics of their solution for the 2012...aesthetically it doesn't look as good. For what that's worth.

I'm hoping as many have reported that the 2012 stock set-up works for me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Can anyone help me???

I was instaling the Madstad, and this happened... :biggrinjester:

Attachments

·
38,048 Posts
:thumbup:So I guess a Madstad installation is a good time to change to tapered roller steering head bearings.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts