StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone checked into the new OEM lower steel engine cover available for the 2012? What is so different on the new year model that this wouldn't work on the older bikes. I have to say it's a little spendy at about $280 but looks better than most and I would like to try it on my 07 Wee. I have Givi crash bars on order but the pics look as if it is made to clear them. Any input at all would be welcomed. Thanks. P.S. Suzuki part # 94400-11820-291

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't say for sure whether or not this is a problem, but I think the main issue with the '12 lower cowl would be whether or not it clears the older model's oil cooler.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone checked into the new OEM lower steel engine cover available for the 2012? What is so different on the new year model that this wouldn't work on the older bikes. I have to say it's a little spendy at about $280 but looks better than most and I would like to try it on my 07 Wee. I have Givi crash bars on order but the pics look as if it is made to clear them. Any input at all would be welcomed. Thanks. P.S. Suzuki part # 94400-11820-291
I dont think this is steel??? looks like plastic

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
It is not metal, it's made of plastic. I ordered one through my dealer for $230, it was here before the bike was. It isn't going to offer any protection like a skid plate, nothing under the filter or motor at all, but sure looks good, and covers up the oil filter and all those hoses.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Hey Tom... can you post some pics when you get it installed on your '07? I am thinking of also getting one...

Cheers
Richard
I'm not putting it on my '07. I'm waiting on Suzuki to release my '12 after the recall.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Ooops, sorry about that... didn't know you had a '12 on order...

Cheers
I'll have the '07 for awhile longer and can prolly tell you if it looks like it will bolt up or not, but I suspect the oil cooler is in the way on the earlier model.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I'll bet you're right, it fits pretty close up against the motor. It comes in three plastic pieces, two sides and a front, screwed together with phillips head screws, and three metal brackets, one bracket for each side of the motor, clutch cover, stator cover, and an upper bracket bolts to the cylinder head and runs horizontal to mount the top to. If you don't care about protection for off road adventures, it sure looks nice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It is not metal, it's made of plastic. I ordered one through my dealer for $230, it was here before the bike was. It isn't going to offer any protection like a skid plate, nothing under the filter or motor at all, but sure looks good, and covers up the oil filter and all those hoses.
If it covers up the oil filter, how does it not provide protection to the filter from random road objects?

Also, does it interfere with changing the oil? The SW-Motech skid plate for the 2012 Wee is described as having "a pre-drilled hole in the bottom so that the oil drain plug bolt can be accessed without removing the skidplate. This allows the oil to be changed without removing the skidplate." That would sort of imply the OEM bracket doesn't, but then again, the way you describe it the OEM part is not properly a "skid plate" but is what Suzuki calls an "under cowling".

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it covers up the oil filter, how does it not provide protection to the filter from random road objects?

Also, does it interfere with changing the oil? The SW-Motech skid plate for the 2012 Wee is described as having "a pre-drilled hole in the bottom so that the oil drain plug bolt can be accessed without removing the skidplate. This allows the oil to be changed without removing the skidplate." That would sort of imply the OEM bracket doesn't, but then again, the way you describe it the OEM part is not properly a "skid plate" but is what Suzuki calls an "under cowling".
I'm sure it would protect the filter from small debris, but I would imagine hitting a boulder would break it. :green_lol:

Anyway, the thing looks sharp, but for less cost or about the same price, would you rather get a metal plate?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anyway, the thing looks sharp, but for less cost or about the same price, would you rather get a metal plate?
Yes to the metal plate, but WHICH one? Not a lot of choices so far.

The SW-Motech one bolts to the engine case via brackets. Not a good idea if you ask me. Amotostuff started showing a Hepco-Becker one on their web pages in the last few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2012 motor cover

The ebay description definitely states "steel". Makes me wonder if the guy advertising it has even seen one. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Even though it's plastic, I still like the look of it better than just about anything else I've seen. I just bought one of the moto agura plates from Greece for $280 (delivered). I haven't even installed it yet and I'm wishing I had waited. Maybe I can sell it on ebay and make the Suzuki one work by relocating the oil cooler. Food for thought anyway. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts

It covers the front and sides of the oil filter, it is completely open from the bottom. Being plastic, it may deflect some objects before cracking or shattering, but having no protection from the bottom, it is definately not a skid plate, or meant to protect the engine from much of anything. More cosmetic, it covers the filter and hoses from VIEW more than for protection from damage. I ride an occasional forest road, or other maintained gravel, but mostly blacktop touring and commuting, so I was after the 'look' more than engine or oil filter protection.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It covers the front and sides of the oil filter, it is completely open from the bottom.
Ah, I see - the pictures I've seen of the OEM "under cowling" looks to me like it went fully under the oil filter. Which was my real concern - like you, I don't plan to go off-road much if at all, a true skid plate on my bike would border on poseurity. But wouldn't want to clean up the look of the bike with such a cover if it meant I had to remove it to change the oil, and it sounds like I wouldn't then, hey?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts