StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Oxford hot grips, I had them on my old 2004 DL650 and was very happy with them.

I started attempting the install on my 2012 DL650 today. I tried removing the tank to assist in looking for the wires, but couldn't work out how to remove all the fairing panels (see other thread).

So I started looking around the head stem area inside the fairing using a torch and a mirror. I found what I think is the heated grip plug. It looks like the same colour wires as used for the heated grip plug on the previous models.

The connector is different. It's a proper waterproof plug. It comes with a dummy plug install in it to keep it clean.

My fingers are holding the plug here, so you can see where approximately the plug is located;

This is the view from inside the head stem area looking up to the plug. You can see it was taped to the rest of the harness, the unwound tape is still hanging there in the photo;

And this is the dummy plug that is attached to keep the connector clean.

So my next task is to see if I can find a plug the same size as this dummy plug to use for connecting my oxford hot grips to the stock harness. Otherwise I will just resort to cutting the stock plug off.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Try Jim Davis (Eastern Beaver/easternbeaver.com) he's in Japan and has sources for most connectors lined up, service has always been excellent.

Pete

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Try Jim Davis (Eastern Beaver/easternbeaver.com) he's in Japan and has sources for most connectors lined up, service has always been excellent.

Pete
There is a $20 minimum order so get a headlight relay kit too. The 2012 doesn't come with them any more than the earlier models did.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I have heated grips on my workbench, and am picking up my bike this morning, I would have been looking behind the radiator for the plug, I nearly ordered the old style connector last week to be ready for the install, but held off till I had a look at the new setup.

·
Registered
342 Posts
...I started looking around the head stem area inside the fairing using a torch and a mirror.
At first I was all like :yikes: but then I saw your location and remembered what a "torch" means to UK and Aussie folks vs. us 'merkins.

You meant this kind of "torch" (flashlight):

Not this kind of "torch":

At least I hope so.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, a flashlight torch :)

I suspect I might be able to get away with buying a similar generic 2 pin plug and just using the actual terminals and rubber oring seals. The stock plug is a fully functioning connector, it just has no metal terminals in it and has solid rubber plugs where the wires would go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Jim from easternbeaver has just replied to my email and confirmed I only need 2 female terminals and 2 seals since the female housing is included.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awwwww Bloody Hell !!

I just spent the day fusing and wiring relays and running wires from the rear of the bike to install Oxfords and a 12v acc plug on my 2012. I didn't know there was a freakin connector already under there.:furious:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Not sure if this is actually for heated grips, but a customer assures me it has switched power and a ground. I have put a new adapter online for the new bikes with this connector. Also made available a small kit with just the terminals and seals for those who want to DIY it.

·
38,048 Posts
The wire colors are right if that orange wire has a green stripe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wires

Hey,

thanks for this, I was looking also around the radiator with no luck.

There also appears to be a spare wire set under the seat, tucked in the space on the left beside the storage tray with a swirch, grd and a couple of others wires????

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Hey,

thanks for this, I was looking also around the radiator with no luck.

There also appears to be a spare wire set under the seat, tucked in the space on the left beside the storage tray with a swirch, grd and a couple of others wires????
Probably the dealer diagnostics plug. (Leave it alone).

Pete

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is this Eastern Beaver part number 2P090WP-MT Connector Set $3.95 ea - the second item on this page?

SM-MT

Would I be able to get the female half of this connector, crimp it to a set of 3rd party heated grip leads, and then plug it into the factory harness? Thanks!

·
38,048 Posts
Eastern Beaver has a $20 minimum order. Get to that amount or ignore it and get very surprised at the shipping cost reminder. Those not having headlight relays can always do the smart thing and get them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the heavier gauge orange wire in pneumatic's photo is the 12v and the one in the left is ground?

My Oxfords are arriving today and it would save some time and effort if I could terminate them with my Sumitimo connector by using that picture rather than having to untape the harness and mess around with a meter. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Eastern Beaver has a $20 minimum order. Get to that amount or ignore it and get very surprised at the shipping cost reminder. Those not having headlight relays can always do the smart thing and get them.
+1 for adding the headlight relay kit, but for those not yet ready for that mod you could throw some posi-locks and/or posi-taps in the shopping cart to get to the $20 minimum. Those things are awesome- I'll never use a crappy scotch-lock or crimp connector on bike or car again.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts