StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone done it? I had a go today but couldn't really manage to remove any of the front or side fairing panels. There seems to be lots of hidden clips and some sort of specific technique.

I pulled my 2004 apart many times, it was relatively easy.

PS - we need a 2012+ DL650 subforum

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Has anyone done it? I had a go today but couldn't really manage to remove any of the front or side fairing panels. There seems to be lots of hidden clips and some sort of specific technique.

I pulled my 2004 apart many times, it was relatively easy.

Yes. It's "easier" than the old model, the panels aren't as bulky, but it does need more care.

Remove the seat, remove the lower side panel bolts, remove the centre section (plastic pop rivets) behind the steering. Remove the lower two bolts on the radiator cowl.

Fun starts, take the bolts from the side panels and CAREFULLY pull them back and up slightly, you'll need to unhook the lower corner (towards the seat) as well. There are some (breakable) plastic tangs on the lower edge so be careful. Suzuki have discovered 3M dual lock so you need to pull OUT just a little.

Top edge you sort of roll apart and it unclips from the upper plastics, again, be gentle with it.

Undo the clamp at the front that holds the front of the tank in place.

That done, as before lift the rear of the tank, disconnect the fuel line, the pump wiring AND two new vent hoses. (I missed those, made pulling the tank a real bitch).

The tank is now clamped down at the front and instead of pivoting on the retaining bolt it pivots on the anti-vibration mounts. You should now be able to pull it back/up and out.

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse, but be very very careful with the side panels, there are bits of plastic that need to slide into place all over.

(If you can solve Rubik's cube in 15 seconds or less, I'm sure it's easy ......) I can't, I did manage it eventually without breaking anything though - and overall, easier than my K6.

Luck
Pete

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took out lots of bolts and clips but the painted side panels didn't want to move, I could see velcro in the top area, and could feel the bottom was retained somehow but didn't know what. I didn't want to break it so I left it until I could figure it out :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There's a metal clip on the tank just below the velcro, it fits into a plastic moulding on the tank. If you don't get the pull angle exactly right they won't come out - so mainly back but with a little up and out.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
agreed.
That sounds good to me. I am on a Mazda 3 site and when the Speed3 came out they never separated and that is why I quit using the site. To confusing trying to find out if they were talking about the original one or the performance one.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
After you pull the panels, don't forget to paint them your favorite color. Mine will be red. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
After you pull the panels, don't forget to paint them your favorite color. Mine will be red. :mrgreen:
great idea, I was pointing that out the the dealer the other day, so little painted area, changing color on this bike will be fast, easy, and very affordable. Drop em off at the local auto painter this morning, change color this afternoon, HD had a yellow pearl on their Road King 6 or 8 years ago that was really, really nice.... had a green shimmer under that yellow when caught in the sun.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A Vee, Wee and Glee forum setup would make it easier to know the model involved in a question. However, if people would put their year and model in their sigs, profiles or include it in the problem description, there would be no reason for the separation. A problem with the separation of models is so many people post a situation in the forum based on the bike they own when the situation is not model specific.

BTW, there is also a big difference between Wees at the 2006-2007 break.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been tagging "2012" threads as glee which makes them easy for me to reference. I'm including everything but the "is it here yet?" threads. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
A Vee, Wee and Glee forum setup would make it easier to know the model involved in a question. However, if people would put their year and model in their sigs, profiles or include it in the problem description, there would be no reason for the separation. A problem with the separation of models is so many people post a situation in the forum based on the bike they own when the situation is not model specific.

Good points. A major pet peeve has been generic posts in specific DL sections. How's that for a flip-flop.

·
38,103 Posts
Here is a link to pix from my 2012 service manual.
2012 V-Strom exterior
The numbers in the illustrations are missing. Check the wiring diagrams and other diagram intensive areas. I used to work in a subdivision of the Univ of Il at Chicago Publications services and that indicates a digital printing job where the font codes in the files are not supported by the printer.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
2012 V-Strom exterior

The numbers in the illustrations are missing. Check the wiring diagrams and other diagram intensive areas. I used to work in a subdivision of the Univ of Il at Chicago Publications services and that indicates a digital printing job where the font codes in the files are not supported by the printer.
Some of the number boxes are blank in my service manual, looks like a manual printers error.

·
38,103 Posts
Right. Complain now. It won't get fixed until the error is noticed.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
2012 V-Strom service manual

Right. Complain now. It won't get fixed until the error is noticed.
I paged through the entire manual. 99 percent of the photos have missing ID numbers. The wiring diagrams are missing all individual circuit descriptions. I'll call customer service monday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sure it will be as big of a pain in the a-- as all of the previous years. That fuel tank and all of that plastic crap has to come off just to change the air filter. The whole thing has to be disassembled just to change the spark plugs. God help you if you need to check the valves !!! Stock up on those plastic fasteners, as once they are used,they are worthless !!! The only easy thing to do on the Strom, is change the oil. However, it is still easier and cheaper than working on a BMW. I am getting to old and slow,and do not want to spend hours on end taking plastic crap apart, in order to preform a mundane task such as changing an air filter !!! Time to get a KLR650 !!!!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I'm sure it will be as big of a pain in the a-- as all of the previous years. That fuel tank and all of that plastic crap has to come off just to change the air filter. The whole thing has to be disassembled just to change the spark plugs. God help you if you need to check the valves !!! Stock up on those plastic fasteners, as once they are used,they are worthless !!! The only easy thing to do on the Strom, is change the oil. However, it is still easier and cheaper than working on a BMW. I am getting to old and slow,and do not want to spend hours on end taking plastic crap apart, in order to preform a mundane task such as changing an air filter !!! Time to get a KLR650 !!!!
The plastic fasteners are fine some of them have lasted 20 removals on my K6.
You do push the centre IN with a small screwdriver rather than just prying them out don't you ?. And when you go to put them back, you pop the centre up , put the fastener in, then just push it down to lock it once it's in place.

The new model is actually easier than the old, the lumps of plastic are smaller and more manageable - but until someone posts a step by step with pics, it's going to be a pain.

Luck
Pete

1 - 20 of 41 Posts