StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you happy new 2012 owners out there.... Have a quick question for anyone that has one of the new '12 ABS's and still has their older pre-12 around. Wondering if the new, slightly smaller, more aerodynamic front fender on the 2012 ABS model will bolt right on to an older 650ABS. Any guesses?

If so, I may be tempted to order one up as I do like the look of the slightly smaller front fender on the new '12. No new bike in my budget at this time, however.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think it will fit. From a comparison of the new and old models side by side, the mounting bolts are positioned differently on the forks. So I don't think it would mount the way it's intended to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bump

I went to check the new V-Strom. I dint think there are enough changes in the new one to justify a swap.
I did like the fender on the new one. I saw it on the Adventure model.
Took some pictures; looks like they might swap.
It's been a while since the question was asked so I thought i would give this topic a bump.

Anyone try the swap yet ?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Watch out for the upper bolts on the L2 front fender. Zuke uses the red locktite of death on them and it will spin the "nut" inside. :thumbdown:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Since the OP doesn't have a Glee but is just investigating using the fender, that shouldn't be a problem. A look at the Fiches show the bolt placement is different.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Watch out for the upper bolts on the L2 front fender. Zuke uses the red locktite of death on them and it will spin the "nut" inside. :thumbdown:
And is the only way to tighten them to remove the front tire?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I just removed the clutch side bolt. I had to cut the head off and push the bolt through the inside. What a PITA! Put a new bolt in without the red locktite of death. Still have to do the other side.

You can't get at it any better with the front tire off. There is a square nut inside that is supposed to be held in place with the fender plastic. The locktite is so stiff that the nut spins around the weak plastic and ruins it.

Hopefully it's just my bike, but me thinks all of them are this way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just removed the clutch side bolt. I had to cut the head off and push the bolt through the inside. What a PITA! Put a new bolt in without the red locktite of death. Still have to do the other side.

You can't get at it any better with the front tire off. There is a square nut inside that is supposed to be held in place with the fender plastic. The locktite is so stiff that the nut spins around the weak plastic and ruins it.

It's not just yours. Seems to me that if the front tire were removed, you would be able to access the "nut" on the inside and tighten it. Regrettably, I loosened both of mine (yeah, yeah, insert joke here) while installing Rick's fork brace.

·
38,103 Posts
I can't see getting the bolt out without taking off the fender. Loctite recommended Permatex gasket remover. http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...vers/auto_Permatex_Low_VOC_Gasket_Remover.htm
Other types of anaerobic glue solvent may also help. Allow plenty of time. Heat works but it is difficult to heat the bond without melting the plastic. It sure wasn't a smart move to use high strength thread locker there.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Mine was: http://www.stromtrooper.com/844862-post1.html

I think the plastic is shaped the way it is because there's some "Suzuki special tool" meant to slide up in there and catch that square nut. A thin, flat, piece of bar stock with the appropriate notch, maybe.

·
38,103 Posts
Assuming it's like the older bikes, the metal rectangle fits in a plastic slot in the fender.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hey GW, does the service manual say there is a "special tool" to remove that bolt?? I have to take the other side off and I don't want to destroy it too.

·
38,103 Posts
The service manual just says to remove the bolts. There is no special tool. Just be vewy, vewy caweful. Whoever had the bright idea to use high strength thread locker there should be taken out to the woodshed.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
After I got out the stud from the LH side, it still would not unscrew so I had to put my propane torch on it to loosen that orange locktite. Put the stud in the vice and used a adjustable wrench on the square captive nut to get the F'er off.

I tried to loosen the other side and it spun the captive nut in the plastic too. :headbang:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wedged a narrow flat screwdriver between a flat on the square nut and the recess in the fender - it helped stop the square nut spinning in/ thru the plastic. It was still a PITA with a continuous impending feeling of "I'm gonna break the fender", but it came off.

The fastener offered up enough resistance to require significant torque for EVERY TURN, from initially breaking loose to finally falling off the square nut. That thread locker is the real deal.

Now that it's been off and back on, I'm sure it'll vibrate loose at some point and my fender will flop into the tire.:headbang:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Only thing I can think of is using a nylock nut on the inside and use a open end wrench (small one!) to loosen and tighten it.

I got involved with this because I heard clunks from the front fender and the bolt was loose. So I tried to tighten it and wa-la, we are at this point. Maybe the front tire was flinging rocks into the plastic...

Maybe I can try to pry the fender away to hold the square nut while loosening the bolt...

·
38,103 Posts
All this makes me want to go in there and get them out to keep from having to do it on the road.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
That's some of the reason I'm doing it. I just like to take care of things in my garage, not out in the middle of nowhere! :yesnod:

I can't give you any advice, just what we have told you. At least you know which way the wind is blowing before the sh#t storm hits...:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts