StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Mine's due for the first change. I'm partial to OEM filters and synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I'll probably wait until the 600 mile mark. :huh:

If the oil filter is doing it's job then what's the worry?

Now how about OEM filters versus Fram filters? :var_44:

·
Registered
240 Posts
oil...

I was told, by the dealer, not to use anything but normal oil in this bike for at least ten thousand miles. The change it so something else if you choose.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was told, by the dealer, not to use anything but normal oil in this bike for at least ten thousand miles. The change it so something else if you choose.
You wonder why no one likes dealers... They are all mis-informed twits... :headbang: Corvetts roll off the assembly line with Mobil 1 synthetic oil in their crank cases....

·
Registered
173 Posts
You know I heard the same thing from a local dealer (not where I purchased the bike). It doesnt make sense to me why you would need to use dino oil for the first 10,000. I cant get my brain around that one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I changed oil at 100, 300, and 600 miles. Similar to you, after inspection the oil seemed pretty clean, not much metal at all. If I could do it over again I'd probably still change oil/filter, however, knowing what I know now I wouldn't have a problem letting it go.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
DIY dino oil & filter change is around, what $20 bucks?

I've never used synthetic, don't plan on it either. Just too expensive for the "gains" whatever they are. Maybe slicker shifting?

Motorex synthetic oil is around $19 bucks a LITER. :yikes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I changed oil at 100, 300, and 600 miles. Similar to you, after inspection the oil seemed pretty clean, not much metal at all. If I could do it over again I'd probably still change oil/filter, however, knowing what I know now I wouldn't have a problem letting it go.
Don't feel the least bit awkward about that routine - you saved yourself any issues that could have arisen. A coupla quarts of oil is cheap - I'da done the same thing.

Dunno what the previous owner used in mine for the first 6000 miles but I've used Rotella T since 2007 and it purrs... on a traditional engine I'd probably follow the dino recommendation first to let those rings set, but with just a 'plating' on the alloy cylinder walls, synthetic makes sense to keep things slippery for better fuel mileage too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I changed out the filter at 300 miles then did the oil and filter at 600. I did not tear apart the filters, but I inspected the used oil and found a good bit of small metal flakes in the bottom.

I have had many, many bikes and it was what I expected to find, no more or less.

I pretty much ride it like I want too, with the exception of avoiding the highway, or long stretches in one gear. Likein' it so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts