StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, the wee motor was considered one of it's strong points, what are the percieved advantages of going with the Gladius powerplant. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
2012 swap

Way cheaper to trade up to a new bike unless you can obtain a Gladius engine cheap or free. And then suspension etc etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Glee doesn't use the stock Gladius motor. The cams and valve springs are different as probably a few more parts. The Glee makes a little more power and torque across the board than the Wee and has that coolant/oil heat exchanger instead of an air/oil cooler. While reports are mixed, I expect the Glee will get a little better fuel economy in the same conditions as the Wee. Testers say the engine justs works better.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The Glee doesn't use the stock Gladius motor. The cams and valve springs are different as probably a few more parts. The Glee makes a little more power and torque across the board than the Wee and has that coolant/oil heat exchanger instead of an air/oil cooler. While reports are mixed, I expect the Glee will get a little better fuel economy in the same conditions as the Wee. Testers say the engine justs works better.
"Glee"....really GW? You're seriously going to promote that wussy nickname? I really hope that word doesn't catch on! Wee was bad enough! Could it get any worser for the masculine image of DL650 riders? :bom_hair2: If this name catches on, look for next year's only color choice to be pink! :angel_7:

·
38,104 Posts
I got used to Wee after not liking it. You call it what you want and I'll call it what I want. If your masculinity can't handle it, who has the problem?:confused:
Somebody calls his DL650 a Light Strom. I like that too.

I would like to have a Glee-Strom.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I got used to Wee after not liking it. You call it what you want and I'll call it what I want. If your masculinity can't handle it, who has the problem?:confused:
Somebody calls his DL650 a Light Strom. I like that too.

I would like to have a Glee-Strom.
Just a lighthearted jab GW...not meant to offend. I'll admit without hesitation that I have the problem. :yesnod:

Whatever anyone decides to nickname it, It looks like an improvement and I'm anxious to buy one (but if anyone calls it a "Glee-Strom" to my face then the pissing match is on...oh wait...even with a full dose of Flomax I think I'd lose!) Never mind. Call it what you want.

·
38,104 Posts
Just a lighthearted jab GW...not meant to offend. I'll admit without hesitation that I have the problem. :yesnod:
I know what you mean. Wee used to bother me. Shorthand became way more important about the time I passed 5000 posts.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Glee, love it :green_lol:
Not as much fun to use in sentence as wee but still funny. Love it when someone calls during a bike wash…

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
A lot better fuel economy than the Wee.
Just did a ride with a simillarly loaded K8.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Didn't they also go to the 32 bit ECU? And SCEM cylinders?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Didn't they also go to the 32 bit ECU? And SCEM cylinders?
Yes on the 32 bit, and they've been saying SCEM since I bought my first DL650 in 2005. I still have the Suzuki brochure on that bike. My '07 had a piston scraping problem and the cylinders were definitely not SCEM coated.

·
38,104 Posts
All years have iron liners and all years are advertised as SCEM coated. The coating has to be on the liner instead of the typically thought of plasma coated aluminum. The 32bit ECU debuted in 2007.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
"Glee"... I really hope that word doesn't catch on! Wee was bad enough! Could it get any worser for the masculine image of DL650 riders? :bom_hair2: If this name catches on, look for next year's only color choice to be pink! :angel_7:
It's funny because it's true.

"And you can call me WEE, and you can call me REE, and you can call me BEE but ya doesn't has ta call me GLEE! (or FARKLE) (or JOHNSON)"

To each his own.

But it IS true.

Bill

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The older DL's had plated steel liners.

The Gladius derived engine supposedly does have real SCEM plated aluminium cylinders finally. (But until someone pulls one down ....)

I'm incined to beleive it, the thing runs so lean it'd melt otherwise.

Pete

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts