StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
And done in a place that most would consider has a short riding season.

Wuss rider here.......why I left the Great White North..........Approaching 8k on my 2013 purchased last May.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't actually want to put miles on mine that fast. I'd prefer not to wear it out before I'm dome paying for it. I did hang onto my old connie, just because at it's age more miles don't really detract from it's value. I sure don't like it's weight though.

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:jawdrop:

So any problems to report?
Around 63,000 km/39,000 miles I hit a very heavy mass of what I thought was mud on a back road when commuting to work. It turned out the mass was wet concrete. Around 800 miles later my rear wheel bearings were shot.

Two or three tanks of gas ago I ran it fairly low on gas (my regular station was home and I was already pushing things to get there.) I filled at a different station and noticed the fuel lever readout was "walking" along the disolay, This went on amnd off a few times but dissappeared the next day. I thought it was a one-time inciudent but remembered that I had a funnu fuel guage readout a week or two before that never repeated itself.

That's it. NO other issues.

Some notes:

Oem Rear Tire Was replaced at 15,189 km or 9,438 miles.
Since then I have run Tourance Rears and they were replaced with 24,661 km 15,323 miles and 21,850 km/ 13576 miles, Current rear has 18,249km or 11,339 miles as of last fillup.

OEM Front tires was replaced at 32,000 km/ 19,883 miles. Replacement Tourance was replaced with 34,060 km/21163 miles. Current Front Tourance has 13,889 km or 8,630 miles

Front sprocket replaced at 61,700 km or 38,338 miles. I did this when rchaingeing a rear tire as the front sprocket was pretty worn.Beyond what was acceptable. Rear Sprocket is still original and looks fine.

OEM Chain was replaced at 66060 km or 39850 miles. It had life left in it but was replaced as was going on a trip and had some people around me have chain probs so didn't want to risk things.

Current Chain (DID X-RIng) has 13,889 km/8630 miles on it. It has never been adjusted.

Up to 79,949 km or 49,968 miles (by the odo) I have filled the tank 422 times. (A good number were part fills.) I have put in $4,139.41 Can$ of gas in it. My average mileage is 4.74 l/100 km or 49.5 US MPG.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here was what the bike looked like after hitting the wet concrete puddle:

It looked way worse in the flesh! My Riding suit and boots were covered as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
202 Posts
eeeek!
Quite a mess with the concrete!
I'm at 26,000+ miles and counting - I thought I was riding a lot before your post ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
What do you like better on the 2012 vs 2006?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
...I hit ... wet concrete.

Since then I have run Tourance Rears and they were replaced with 24,661 km 15,323 miles and 21,850 km/ 13576 miles, Current rear has 18,249km or 11,339 miles as of last fillup.

OEM Front tires was replaced at 32,000 km/ 19,883 miles. Replacement Tourance was replaced with 34,060 km/21163 miles.

OEM Chain was replaced at 66060 km or 39850 miles. It had life left in it ...

Current Chain (DID X-RIng) has 13,889 km/8630 miles on it. It has never been adjusted.
49.5 US MPG.
Were you able to completely remove the concrete from the bike? It seems cured ("dried") concrete (if you left it to dry) would be very difficult to remove. I'm guessing you rinsed the bike before the concrete cured. Sorry to hear of the bad luck there...

You're getting at least twice the mileage I get with Anakees. I really like the Anakees in all other respects, and mileage seems OK, but not in comparison with your reports. I might try Tourances next just to see. I suspect the mountain roads I ride all the time (daily - every day) are wearing my tires quickly.

Good life from the chain. As I've said before, I follow your guidance regarding chain maintenance.

49.5 MPG is quite good I think, as I believe you ride high-speed roads a lot. You nearly have to to put 50K miles on a 2012 Wee !

Good for you all around.

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you like better on the 2012 vs 2006?
The 2012 by far, but if there never was a 2012 I would probably still be riding my 2006.

The 12 is just better in every single way that I can think of.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Were you able to completely remove the concrete from the bike? It seems cured ("dried") concrete (if you left it to dry) would be very difficult to remove. I'm guessing you rinsed the bike before the concrete cured. Sorry to hear of the bad luck there...

You're getting at least twice the mileage I get with Anakees. I really like the Anakees in all other respects, and mileage seems OK, but not in comparison with your reports. I might try Tourances next just to see. I suspect the mountain roads I ride all the time (daily - every day) are wearing my tires quickly.

Good life from the chain. As I've said before, I follow your guidance regarding chain maintenance.

49.5 MPG is quite good I think, as I believe you ride high-speed roads a lot. You nearly have to to put 50K miles on a 2012 Wee !

Good for you all around.
I didn't actually realize it was concrete until late that evening (the incident happened on the way in to work in the morning.) The surfaces stuff came off but it got in all the little nooks and crannies. I'm sure there is still some on it somewhere.

..Tom

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 2012 by far, but if there never was a 2012 I would probably still be riding my 2006.

The 12 is just better in every single way that I can think of.

..Tom
Would you consider a new 2014 DL1K? I know, the 650 has more than enough power for any type of riding. The 650 motor has always been much smoother too.

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would you consider a new 2014 DL1K? I know, the 650 has more than enough power for any type of riding. The 650 motor has always been much smoother too.
I love what I read and see about the Vee2! I would certainly consider it when my 2012 needs replacing. I agree that the 650 has lots of real world power and I like being the underdog so we'll see.

..Tom

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice numbers :thumbup:

You are doing some serious miles on that bike.

I ride more than most, and have done almost 30.000 miles on my Strom since I picked it up 2 years ago.
My goal is to keep the bike for at least 4 years which should equal around 100.000km/62.000miles.
If rumors are true and a new Honda African Twin and Yamaha Ténéré are launched later this year, I'm not sure that I can wait another 2 years to replace the Strom...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hats off to you on the mileage. I only have 3500 miles on my 2012 650. Second owner when I got it, it had about 3250 miles.

So for me to catch up to your mileage (55555 miles, which I bet is already higher) I would have to ride at a constant speed of 50 miles an hour for 1041 hours straight... :jawdrop:

Makes me tired just thinking about it... LOL

Also the fact you had to do so little work with that many miles help reinforce that I bought the right bike. I wonder how much it would cost a BMW owner to drive that many miles? (Nothing against BMW bikes, or their riders...) Just saying.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts