StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today my Strom passed the 30.000 miles (48.000km) mark.

Just before I joined the 20.000 miles club I had a few issues, but since then the bike have been totally trouble free.

A few days ago the bike was in for its 2nd big service (valve inspection etc.).
Like at the first inspection the valve clearance was spot on.
There was quit a lot of goo in the brake fluid reservoir so I had the fluid changed.
I had all 4 spark plugs replaced with new iridium ones. The old spark plugs worked fine and looked like new after 30.000 miles, but I'd rather replace them preventive than get stranded later trying to save a few bucks.

While the mechanic was performing the service on the bike, I replaced the OEM heated grips.
Since new the grip on the right hand side didn't produce as much heat as the one on the left. Suzuki provided me with a new set (covered by warranty) that I chose to install myself.
The new OEM grips works well.

During the winter I installed a fork brace on my bike. I didn't feel that the bike needed a fork brace, but decided to give it a go to see what all the fuss was about.
I have now done 4k with the brace in place.
It does make the steering more precise and change the behavior of the bike slightly, but I'm still not convinced that it makes the Strom better, as I find that the original flex of the forks harmonizes with the rest of the bike.
For now I leave the brace on the bike, but I'm not sure it's a keeper..?

With 30.000 miles on the clock my Strom just keeps getting better.
The engine is super smooth and pulls better than ever at all revs. Gear shifts are very smooth and precise.
As expected there are no visible oil consumption between services.

Anyone else who have hit the 30k mark?

·
Registered
240 Posts
for the money...

I think that the 650 is one of the best bikes made for the $$$$$. The new 1000...time will tell.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dang and I just turned 11k recently on mine. Have a ways to go. 'Course I have 30k on my DR650 though.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
:hurray:

I'm sure I have over 20k on mine.

I have over 50k on the SV. Just got it back on the road today.

·
Registered
373 Posts
give me a few months... just clicked over 22,000 last week. (since march 2013):thumbup:

·
Administrator
13,567 Posts
Today my Strom passed the 30.000 miles (48.000km) mark.
Anyone else who have hit the 30k mark?
Congratulations!

Im a bit over 59,000 miles on my 2012 DL650. I should be at 60,000 miles in the next couple of weeks.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am at 31K. No problems so far. Had 60K+ on the K7 with no issues.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations!

Im a bit over 59,000 miles on my 2012 DL650. I should be at 60,000 miles in the next couple of weeks.

..Tom
Thanks Tom.

How you are able to do that kind of mileage is beyond me - especially considering that you live in Ontario. I ride quit a lot compared to most people, but I'm only doing half the miles of what you are doing.

I'm looking forward to join the 50k miles club you have started - hopefully sometime next year :mrgreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm at 30,300 miles. No issues so far.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Very low mileage for me the past two years, the bike is at about 11K miles. I need a knee replacement and don't trust myself to NOT drop it at traffic lights. Ortho appt in 3 weeks to make a decision. Not riding sucks! My only ride so far this year, Whitehorse Gear in North Conway, NH:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have 34KMiles, And Questions for Those With More

Two questions, really. I've got another 3K mile commute to work coming up.

As mentioned, with 34K on my '12 Glee ADV I was wondering if anyone else has felt a "surge/hesitation" at low speeds (4000 rpm in 4th = 40 mph actual/44 indicated). It could be the 100+ degree ambient I've ridden through during the last few weeks causing a glitch in one of the EFI sensors. Perhaps I need to clean the air filter after the run to Texas & back. Not sure what else it could be, but I'm hoping to avoid breakdown time while getting to my Ohio project if I can prevent it with homework and feedback from the forum.

My second question isn't as threatening since I'm replacing the axle this weekend, but has anyone else experience a messed up rear axle thread? I pass the maintenance to professional wrench guys all over the country when I'm working on the road. I've only tightened the chain twice myself. But that new-fangled lock nut arrangement, with some kind of metal lock spring incorporated into the nut, makes me wonder. I've used castellated nuts and cotter pins for over 40 years on a long list of chain-driven bikes, so perhaps I'm just uncomfortable with the new ways & means. But I ask the question anyway.

As for why I don't have 60K miles by now, don't get me started.:furious: I should. The first two years with the '12 Glee were the worst in many years. I ended up on darn flying cattle cars far more than I like. Now I've got some catching up to do.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two questions, really. I've got another 3K mile commute to work coming up.

As mentioned, with 34K on my '12 Glee ADV I was wondering if anyone else has felt a "surge/hesitation" at low speeds (4000 rpm in 4th = 40 mph actual/44 indicated). It could be the 100+ degree ambient I've ridden through during the last few weeks causing a glitch in one of the EFI sensors. Perhaps I need to clean the air filter after the run to Texas & back. Not sure what else it could be, but I'm hoping to avoid breakdown time while getting to my Ohio project if I can prevent it with homework and feedback from the forum.

I have 37k miles on my bike and it runs better than ever. All service done according to the manual.

My second question isn't as threatening since I'm replacing the axle this weekend, but has anyone else experience a messed up rear axle thread? I pass the maintenance to professional wrench guys all over the country when I'm working on the road. I've only tightened the chain twice myself. But that new-fangled lock nut arrangement, with some kind of metal lock spring incorporated into the nut, makes me wonder. I've used castellated nuts and cotter pins for over 40 years on a long list of chain-driven bikes, so perhaps I'm just uncomfortable with the new ways & means. But I ask the question anyway.

No you are not the first one with a messed up axle thread: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/76417-axle-nut-made-cheddar.html

As for why I don't have 60K miles by now, don't get me started.:furious: I should. The first two years with the '12 Glee were the worst in many years. I ended up on darn flying cattle cars far more than I like. Now I've got some catching up to do.
Good luck with the catching up part.

Cheers
T

·
Registered
373 Posts
clocked in over 30,000 sometime yesterday (8/9/2014) just put another 300 on her today :) love this bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks to Don T, Denmark Rider

I most appreciate the help in pointing out the previous thread on the axle and nut problem. I had anti-sieze application in mind, but had not taken the time to evaluate a revised torque spec for the lubricated condition. As an engineer I know there are tables for such torque specs.

With the history available in the forum discussions I can take the resolution to my local wrench with greater confidence that he won't dismiss me as some rubber room encapsulated number crunching engineer who makes more dollars than sense.

I don't visit the forum often. When I'm not working I'm riding. But I appreciate the network and its value in situations like this.

Thanks all, and especially to Don T., cheers returned with thanks. Ride well, in all meanings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts