StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The 650 is geared a lot lower than the 1000 and the motor spins up faster. So yea 0-60mph times are comparable. After that though the 1000 will leave the 650.

Yea I've had both bikes.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 650 is geared a lot lower than the 1000 and the motor spins up faster. So yea 0-60mph times are comparable. After that though the 1000 will leave the 650.

Yea I've had both bikes.
I thought the same thing , the DL650 have the Rev limiter advantage but i'm sure a pro or heavier rider would win with the DL1000, i may redo another video with traction control enabled

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I'll race yer 1000 with my L2 677. :)

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not surprising. Have 2020 vstrom 1050. My 04 650, seems faster through first two gears. Although I've had issues with 1050 from day 1. Did you know the 2020 and up are electrically governed for power? Like almost 30% loss, to prevent the popping of front tire. My 1050 has no inkling of trying to pop front tire. 650 has a better chance, specifically second. Weird.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Only a comment:

You can get a bit more out of the 650 but you need clutch mods. The 1000 has a less obvious advantage in that it has a lock up clutch. A stock 650 clutch will slip quite a bit on the shifts, particularly when the k's go up.

I have a Barnett clutch pack with more than twice the friction area plus heavier springs in mine - love wet days and sports bikes ;). Even with launch control i4's struggle with takeoffs in the wet, yes, you can have too much power.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not surprising. Have 2020 vstrom 1050. My 04 650, seems faster through first two gears. Although I've had issues with 1050 from day 1. Did you know the 2020 and up are electrically governed for power? Like almost 30% loss, to prevent the popping of front tire. My 1050 has no inkling of trying to pop front tire. 650 has a better chance, specifically second. Weird.
I know that the Vstrom 1050 have ride-by-wire now but didn't know about that much power loss

My 2014 1000 have the Neutral map mod, so the ECU always see neutral in any gears, there is no restriction at all but that also disable the traction control, i might redo a test without the mod

This is one thing i dont like about Suzuki today, they seems to fill their ECU's full of crap, i had a 2006 dl650 and it was running perfect

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know that the Vstrom 1050 have ride-by-wire now but didn't know about that much power loss

My 2014 1000 have the Neutral map mod, so the ECU always see neutral in any gears, there is no restriction at all but that also disable the traction control, i might redo a test without the mod

This is one thing i dont like about Suzuki today, they seems to fill their ECU's full of crap, i had a 2006 dl650 and it was running perfect
I get why they electronically retarded the bike, better riding experience, especially for new riders, increased control. However, I paid for a 107hp bike, to get only 72hp(650 power) in first and second, kinda sounds like fraud to me. Not getting what you paid for. But, it's been done to a lot of other bikes, my fjr has same problem, not to same degree. I foresee flashing ecus to become more prevalent in the future to unlock the hidden potential of bikes in future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only a comment:

You can get a bit more out of the 650 but you need clutch mods. The 1000 has a less obvious advantage in that it has a lock up clutch. A stock 650 clutch will slip quite a bit on the shifts, particularly when the k's go up.

I have a Barnett clutch pack with more than twice the friction area plus heavier springs in mine - love wet days and sports bikes ;). Even with launch control i4's struggle with takeoffs in the wet, yes, you can have too much power.
No such thing as too much power:) I am a biggger guy and raced/rode in my 50+ yes of riding and my Vee is def down in the 3 second range to 60mph. Plus now I have a 15T front sprocket for off road with the stock 17T for road trips. It is a buzz saw now! Really quick and it stays in the power bands with a lot of power. Still decent on the hwy at 70mph. A bit less gas mph but all good. It only takes 15 min to switch the front sorocket back for long road trips. For around the area to get to dirt the 15T if just fine. All my opinion and testing it. Live this set up. Again, at 220 I keep the front wheel diwn pretty well on take offs and dirt but can oop it over stuff when needed even in 3rd, not guge wheelie but over ruts, etc. Be safe in all your travels my friend!!

·
Registered
2014 DL1000
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No such thing as too much power:) I am a biggger guy and raced/rode in my 50+ yes of riding and my Vee is def down in the 3 second range to 60mph. Plus now I have a 15T front sprocket for off road with the stock 17T for road trips. It is a buzz saw now! Really quick and it stays in the power bands with a lot of power. Still decent on the hwy at 70mph. A bit less gas mph but all good. It only takes 15 min to switch the front sorocket back for long road trips. For around the area to get to dirt the 15T if just fine. All my opinion and testing it. Live this set up. Again, at 220 I keep the front wheel diwn pretty well on take offs and dirt but can oop it over stuff when needed even in 3rd, not guge wheelie but over ruts, etc. Be safe in all your travels my friend!!
I once tried a 16 tooth sprocket on the 1000 and the front wheel would lift at the slightest provocation, i only weight 140lbs (63kg), probably an heavier person would benefit from the power in first gear but in my case, the front wheel would go in the sky if i was launching like on my 650 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts