StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone keeping track of operating costs? Cost per mile?

I'm trying to see what my budget allows and hoping to get a ballpark idea of operating costs.

I know, I can be a nerd. :nerd:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
A wise guy once told me if I didn't know if I could afford a bike, I couldn't.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A wise guy once told me if I didn't know if I could afford a bike, I couldn't.
I hear ya ... I know where you are coming from. Here's where I'm at:

Moved into my first home and have made two mortgage payments. I'm still realizing my home's operating costs. I'd like to put some numbers together.

I'd rather pass on a bike than have a poorly maintained one.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
A bike is a luxury. I'd take care of necessities first. I wouldn't even have a bike if I couldn't buy it outright.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't kept a tally, but I find my Vstrom to be a very cost effective bike... almost as cheap to run as my DRZ.

Forgive the metric, as I am too lazy to convert, but I get 400km out of a tank of fuel which almost never costs me more than $20, so 1/2 the fuel as my little car and only a bit more than the DRZ.

Tires last me about 16000km on the rear and 30000km on the front. Shinki 705s work well for me and can be had for $150 for the pair -- so cheap rubber.

The maintenance schedule is not at all onerous. 6000km oil changes and filters every 2nd change.

I'm at 43000km on the original chain and sprockets and haven't needed to adjust them yet. And really nothing else. Brake pads are cheap and last a long time. Spark plugs too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wish I had numbers for you. I would be interested in knowing some myself. Guess I'll need to start keeping track of these things.

But to be honest, my 2005 DL650 (38,000 miles) has barely cost me anything significant really. The saying "just oil and gas" just about covers it. I don't ride between November and April, so that just leaves 6 months of actual riding. Every season before I ride I have had the bike thoroughly inspected, oil changed, etc. So far, I haven't had one bit of trouble with it.

This year, I had the Suzuki 7500 mile factory servicing done which ran $500, which is the most I have ever spent. I'm also looking to get some new tires this year, which will run another $500. Next year, I'll have the brakes replaced which will run about $250. I think my insurance runs about $200 for the entire year. Each long ride I put about $11.00 of gas in it and ride for a long time. If I lived in a warmer climate, I would seriously consider ditching one of my cars and just ride to work everyday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts