StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read on the Suzuki USA site that they are bringing back the DL1000 in a std and "Adventure" model for 2012. Bike is NOT redesigned like the 650. I think I'll keep my great 2008 DL!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Copy and pasted from the site:

"You need two things for an unforgettable sport-adventure. The first is a road with twits and turns that lead from one spectacular view to another."

Twits?

There are more the enough twits on the road around here.

Do like the orange, though.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
One can only hope that Suzuki will bring a true ADVENTURE bike to the USA
something like this
Upgrade yes, Make it lighter, 399LBs make it more dirt orientated,
Spoke wheels, 21 inch front wheel, Take the plastic off and make it bendable
plastic (like the rubber made stuff)
This bike would turn the heads of many TRUE adventure riders,,,,
Suzuki could pull all this from there parts bends and keep the cost down ./..
A bike you could drop and nothing would break, pick up and ride,,,
Like the 2007 and down KLRs
Mike

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
One can only hope that Suzuki will bring a true ADVENTURE bike to the USA
something like this
Upgrade yes, Make it lighter, 399LBs make it more dirt orientated,
Spoke wheels, 21 inch front wheel, Take the plastic off and make it bendable
plastic (like the rubber made stuff)
This bike would turn the heads of many TRUE adventure riders,,,,
Suzuki could pull all this from there parts bends and keep the cost down ./..
A bike you could drop and nothing would break, pick up and ride,,,
Like the 2007 and down KLRs
Mike
Ok, we discussed this before... Wake up now... come on... it's all just a dream... You know this will never happen from any manufacturer in our lifetime...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Copy and pasted from the site:

"You need two things for an unforgettable sport-adventure. The first is a road with twits and turns that lead from one spectacular view to another."
Yeah, I caught that too (there's a parallel thread a-runnin). Twits there be aplenty. I see that what the US site calls Adventure, the Canadian site is still call Touring - in the same class as the Boulevard. he he

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
......................... in the same class as the Boulevard. he he
Suzuki Boulevard = Adventure Cruising.

A new class of marketing aimed at bar hoppers who visit establishments with gravel parking lots at the end of roads full of twits and turns.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Suzuki Boulevard = Adventure Cruising.
A new class of marketing aimed at bar hoppers who visit establishments with gravel parking lots at the end of roads full of twits and turns.
Hey..........I like that!!!!! Just checked the H-D website and they are hot on the heels of all the Jap/Yuro-pee'ing bikes by introducing a new line in early 2012..........called "Adventure Trailering" Models. Supposably (no spy photos yet), the new line-up will include bikes with multiple Tie-down hooks built in, higher ground clearance (for non-gooseneck) loading, and tear-away covers to keep the love-bugs off the front while headed to Bike Week. No pricing yet............

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hey..........I like that!!!!! Just checked the H-D website and they are hot on the heels of all the Jap/Yuro-pee'ing bikes by introducing a new line in early 2012..........called "Adventure Trailering" Models. Supposably (no spy photos yet), the new line-up will include bikes with multiple Tie-down hooks built in, higher ground clearance (for non-gooseneck) loading, and tear-away covers to keep the love-bugs off the front while headed to Bike Week. No pricing yet............
Is that before or after they do that 300,000 unit recall for defective rear brake switches...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Well spray me with whip cream and call me Sundae

I was wrong and good luck to them...

I am glad as I was anticipating running out of DL1000 parts in 5 years and that looks identical to my 05

If there is a real adventure on maybe some parts could migrate backwards

·
Registered
522 Posts
$10,399 for the standard model and $10,999 for the "adventure" (can you say factory luggage) model. Thank God the new Vee isn't saddled with the 2012 Wee cosmetic upgrade.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Yea, Yea, Yea, Let me sleep and dream a little,
I did almost loose it with the ADVENTURE trailing from Harley...
Now that woke me up,
Mike

Ok, we discussed this before... Wake up now... come on... it's all just a dream... You know this will never happen from any manufacturer in our lifetime...:mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
I need to place an order with my material supplier for more material to make baskets from.

I too thought the DL 1000 out of production for good. At least in the form as we know it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Likely Suzuki is seeing the competition taking sales with the Tenere and new Honda coming, they figure they can still capture the low end of the segment with no or little investment needed in new tooling.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Likely Suzuki is seeing the competition taking sales with the Tenere and new Honda coming, they figure they can still capture the low end of the segment with no or little investment needed in new tooling.
IMO, these bikes are meant to serve two different markets.

In 2012 the big bore (~1200cc), shaft drive, AdvTouring bikes are going to include the BMW GS, Yama Tenere, new Triumph bike (whatever they call it), Honda Cross-Tourer, and Guzzi Stelvio. All very similar bikes with similar features, made for long distance touring and "limited off-road" capability, all in the same price range ($15-18K or so).

Below those in the marketplace will be the smaller bore (650-800cc, now including the Vee and the 1050 Tiger), a bit lighter weight, chain drive, AdvTouring bikes including several BMW's, some Triumphs, a couple of Italian bikes and the Wee and the Vee. Somewhat similar bikes, some set up for "more off-road" capability than others, can be used for touring but are not as capable as the bigger bikes, falling in a price range from $8+K (the Wee) to about $12K or so.

It's going to be an interesting year with lots of choices for those of us who like that kind of bike.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts