StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As I went to unlock my luggage, the whole cylinder came out with the key. From what I understand there is a bolt that holds that and a cam in place that probably backed its way off. Unfortunately the box is stuck locked and my wallet is inside. Does anyone know how to fix this problem without breaking into the box? Or is there a non evasive way to get into the box while it’s locked? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Maybe one of the forum members, with a similar top box can snap a pix or two of the end of the latching system, for a better understanding of what to expect when the barrel removed?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
If it is this style case, then I think that you could stick a skinny screwdriver through the hole at an upward angle and release the latch. The latching system is pretty flimsy, I'd also suspect that it wouldn't take much to just pop the latch by prying the case open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is the same box. Thanks guys! Got it figured out. I was able to get into the box without damaging the latch. Just got a chisel in above the lock and popped it up without too much prying. The nylon bolt at the end of the lock cylinder which holds that cam in place backed its way off. Thanks again for the help! Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Have you perhaps thought of how to prevent the lock nut from coming adrift again at a later date? May I suggest drilling a 1mm hole drilled through the lock nut and bolt, once in the correct position, to allow for a split pin (or similar) to be inserted. Using a glue or loctite may prevent a later removial of the latch to fix any possible barrel or damaged latch problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you perhaps thought of how to prevent the lock nut from coming adrift again at a later date? May I suggest drilling a 1mm hole drilled through the lock nut and bolt, once in the correct position, to allow for a split pin (or similar) to be inserted. Using a glue or loctite may prevent a later removial of the latch to fix any possible barrel or damaged latch problem. Just a thought.
Yes, I put some loctite on there hoping that will do the trick. I like your idea of the split pin though. May do that as well. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts