StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know roughly what the dealer invoice is for the DL560AL2?

My dealer finally got an orange DL650AL2 in for me so I am working on a price right now. I looked through the 2012 price thread, but just wanted to see if anyone know the invoice price so I have a good idea where to work from.

Hopefully I can work out a deal and bring it home Saturday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer I just purchased from quoted $7,355 - before holdback - in response to my best guess of something just short of $7,200.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There used to be a site called Cyclebuy.com - which sold dealer invoice information for $20.00. I used it twice - once to buy a VTX 1800, and then to buy my 2009 DL 650. It is no longer in existence - the same site name, but now a retail accessories place. There is a link from that site to another called "seedealercost.com - but they do not have the DL650 listed.

I bought my 2009 DL650 in March of 2009 - almost exactly 3 years ago. I paid $6740.00, and the dealer cost info. I got was $6135.00 - including 3% holdback. Dealer markup was therefore 8.9%.

My guess is the dealer cost figure is somewhere around $7300.00 including holdback. This provides the dealer with about 12% profit if selling at retail of $8299.00. I have never bought a vehicle at retail , and the $8090.00 figure, or somewhere thereabouts that people have been paying here in the northwest provides about 9.7% profit. I still think this is too high, but dealers can get it because it is new model, with higher demand and limited supply. They also are well aware of the selling point of 0% financing...

I will be interested to see what happens to prices after the 0% financing is over at the of March - I suspect dealers will be more of a selling mood. I seem to recall Suzuki had Spring specials the last several years, as did other motorcycle manufacturers, and they probably will this year as well...

--John

·
Registered
281 Posts
Supply and demand may determine what you pay. If Suzuki dealers only get a few bikes here and there, they may not be apt to reduce the price of the new 650 models in an effort to keep the demand high. Or that suzuki just won't send them any additional inventory. I think you get a decent bike for 8k and change.

I personally would not spend the money on the ADV model, as i prefer to accessorize my bike the way i want it with exactly what i want on it, not with what the manufacture thinks I need or have to have. Just an observation.

Capitalism at its best :yesnod:

·
Registered
281 Posts
You're talking about the ABS model and not the Adventure, right 1vStromNC?
Why of course....you can't buy the black ADv bike for 8k. I personally don't see the 2k value in the Black model. 2k can buy a lot of high quaility eye candy...e.g. Top box, side cases, engine guards, driving lights, tank bag...and it's personalized to your own taste. Trax luagage, not so much. I believe they both have ABS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did buy, paying $7,897 plus title and licensing OTD. No tax for us lucky Oregon residents ; ). It's no Yamaha R1 which I mean in a good way. Couldn't fathom a 300 mile ride on that bike and my lady can enjoy the trip too now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

Just sealed the deal today - $8265.00 OTD at ProCaliber in Vancouver, WA... I called all the dealers in the Portland area to see if they would match, and nobody came close... Pro Caliber had the Yamaha Demo Day today, so they were apparently in a selling mood...:thumb up: I may have done better had I waited, but two dealers said they will not be getting new stock for awhile, and I was interested in getting the 0% financing (good through the end of May.)

So, OrangeSicle arriving on Monday, and then: Let The Farkling Begin...

BTW: I wanted to test the Tenere, but it was all booked up for the day! Darn!

I will post pics as farkles, arrive... also, I plan to do the Western Regional Rally in the Dalles in June, as I am now a Stromtrooper with Strom...:thumb up:

--John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pro Caliber is very good. Steve, the general manager, is an easy guy to work with. Just took my second run to the Coast and had 63 mpg and a smile on my face the whole way!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ha! I pick mine up tomorrow too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice JB! I'm having my 600 mile-ish service done there tomorrow so maybe I'll run into you. Fun bike. Check out the Scappoose-Vernonia highway stat if you haven't already ; )

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

Be there tomorrow at 1:00 P.M. - till whenever - have to do the dread loan processing... BTW, been on the Scapoose-Vernonia Highway - so few miles, so many twisties....LOL.... after sufficient farkling, including GPS, I plan to head up to parts unknown (to me)... in the coast range...

--John

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, returned home with the Orangesicle today - after a grueling 2 1/2 hours at the dealer waiting for the paperwork to get done... Here are my impressions after 22 mile trip home (mostly slab):

1.) Nice to hear and feel a VTwin again after the inline 4 of the '09 Concours - a little nice vibration at idle - just enough to feel it (and, one of the reasons why I got another V is the wife wanted more vibration...:thumb up:)

2.) Plenty of torque - esp. in the midrange - as others have reported... the roll on power in 6th is impressive - passing semis on the slab was quick and fun...That midrange sweet spot, both on acceleration, and roll-ons, will make it a bit difficult to keep it under 5000 R's for the first 600 miles...

3.) No wind problems - yet - stable passing semis - there was no wind today, so have not fully tested this... I feel more air than the Connie, but no buffeting - I will likely go with a Madstad and Givi 260ST like on my '09 Strom. The extra air flow on lower legs was actually welcome today - about 70 degrees in Portland...

4.) Brakes, - um, not so good...I had to make a fairly abrupt stop on the way home - a stop light from about 50 mph...and, though not scary, it was, how should I say, different... they are going to take some getting used to... to be fair, I am coming off the Concours, which likely has close to the best brakes on any motorcycle...

5.) Light, quick "flickable" as some say... I did not do any knee dragging on the way home - new bike and all:mrgreen: , but it promises to be much fun in the twisties.... :mrgreen:

My $.02...

--John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts