StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have seen several inputs and comments of this seat, being from ‘very hard’, pain to install, and poor customer service on Corbins end. I am going to share my experiences with this seat and my dealings with Corbin.

Order Placement – Dealing with Corbin

I placed the order August 7th and explained that I wanted to know a time frame as if it was going to take 6-8 weeks including delivery, I will wait until the winter to place the order. The salesman said that he will check with the plant, and with the courier to confirm production date and shipping. He said that he will get the information and call me back within the hour. He never called back that night so I thought ‘ Damn, looks like there are issues ’. I received a call the next day and first he apologised profusely but explained that the shop was tied up and he couldn’t get back to me that night. He told me that the they will try to get it done by the end of August and have it delivered within the first week of September. I thought, that is not too bad, I will still get 6-8 weeks of riding in before I store it. I waited two days and did not get an email confirmation so I called Corbin to see if my order got processed ok. I was immediately connected to JESSICA. She explained that they did send me an email and it probably got filtered, and that my order was underway. I told her how happy I was as in Canada, we do not get as much riding in as I want some riding with it before it goes into storage. She says ‘Oh, you’re from Canada’, ‘let me see if I can put a rush on that!’. FOUR DAYS LATER IT WAS BUILT AND SHIPPED! Jessica has made feel assured and had my order immediately processed. I do not think that customer service can get any better!

Installation and fit

First off, I ordered the heated version, so it was not just a slip it on install. The wiring was simple and easy to hook up. The seat hooks up to a connector, which can be removed when removing the seat. The connector was easy to hook up, the negative was hooked up to the negative battery terminal and the positive was inserted into the fuse box, in the turn signal fuse. The fuse was first removed and then inserted into the connector for functionality. The connector end was then connected to the seat connector and the seat was then inserted into the bike. It might be added that the prongs from the seat HAS to be oiled, otherwise it is difficult for first time installation. After that the seat fit perfect and there was absolutely no movement from the seat. It was rock solid on the bike.

First ride and riding comfort

When first sitting on the Corbin, you think ‘Oh MY GOD!!’ the seat is hard and it is very ’flat’ feeling. Flat meaning that there is more real estate for your tush. At first, I thought ‘I don’t know about this’. I jumped on the bike and immediately did a 100 KM ride. To my surprise, there was actually no stiffness or aches in my butt at all, and it actually felt quite comfortable. This, I believe, is mostly because of the wideness and styling of the seat. The only thing that does take a bit to get used to is that the seat changes your posture on the bike. This is not uncomfortable, just ‘different’, and is supposed to improve fatigue reduction.

To ‘heat’ or not to ‘heat’

This is just to stress the importance of a heated seat while driving in cold weather. There was a statement made in a previous post regarding seats how a heated seat does nothing for warmth as it cannot stop the cold air blowing against you. That is partially true. The purpose for a heated seat is NOT for overall warmth, but to maintain your present body temperature. Having suffered from hypothermia years ago while riding in the cold, I am lucky to be alive. Hypothermia is when your body temperature is lowered due to cold and this causes you to be disorientated and then pass out. While riding, this is usually undetected as the cold air, and not being properly geared, will cause your body to chill and eventually hypothermia will kick in. With a heated seat, and the philosophy of heat rising will keep your body temperature stable and will help prevent hypothermia. For me, living in Canada, it is a wise investment.

Here are some pics of my seat:

After Install

Heater switch is easily located on left side

End result – Lookin Good!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks good--keep us informed after you get a few more miles. I'd like a seat that let you slide back a little further than the stock seat. Thanks for the mini review.

·
Registered
700 Posts
A great looking seat!
If you don't mind me asking what size, inseam are you. I am 6 ft, 175 pds with a 32 inch inseam. I am quite happy with stock seat but after 4 hours or so do wish for something better. My wife as pillion is ok for up to 2 hours. Have you had a passenger with the new seat. Comments vs stock if any for pillion?

Ken

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am 5'8", 175 lbs with a 30" inseam. I have not had a passenger on it yet, so I don't know, however, there is more padding than the stock, so it must be more comfortable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Corbin

That looks like a nice seat Abb1, thanks for the review with photos. What is the tab/flap looking thing in the middle (between rider & pillion)of the seat?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That looks like a nice seat Abb1, thanks for the review with photos. What is the tab/flap looking thing in the middle (between rider & pillion)of the seat?
It accepts the optional back rest, which is excellent, btw. :thumbup:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am 5'8", 175 lbs with a 30" inseam. I have not had a passenger on it yet, so I don't know, however, there is more padding than the stock, so it must be more comfortable.
Thanks for the info, let us know what pillion thinks when you do have one on board ESP for a longer trip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great review. I too am interested in hearing a passengers opinion on this seat vs the stock seat. My wife has refused to go anywhere over 100 miles with me on this bike as she says the seat is not comfortable. I am willing to spend almost any amount that she will allow in order to have her willingly come with me as I love to travel with her when we get the chance. I was thinking about a Russell Day Long since comfort is all but guaranteed but I would be looking at leather, and having both seats modded plus I would like to keep my factory seat which means buying another one to send to Russell. All of this makes it a pretty expensive option. For the same money I can get a Corbin with a back rest (and maybe even heat) and keep my stock seat. Let us know when you get a chance to ride it two up. Great looking seat, BTW! Thanks again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seeing that there is more real estate on the back seat and if you get the backrest for the passenger, I think that your wife will love it over the stock. Then you tell your wife that you got the seat for her and it is a win win situation :)! I cannot really give any input on the passenger comfort as in general, I do not double up. If I do, it will be with someone that has no input on the stock seat, so no actual comparison would be done.
I love this seat! I really enjoy long cruises and look forward to them as before I loathed them because instead of enjoyment, I got a screaming butt :yikes:!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm sure the Corbin will be much better. It appears a little wider and dished. Not to mention that it looks much more level than the stocker. The big issue I have with the stock pillion seat is how much it slopes forward. It feels like it's trying to push you into the driver. I'm sure I'll love it. Most of my discomfort w/ the stock seat seems to be w/ my inner thighs more than my tail bone. After a while it's all you can do to sit on it and I've spent a couple of 10 hour days on it. I'm planning on getting a Corbin w/ one back rest next spring. I'll use the backrest in the front position when it's just me and she can use it in the rear if we venture out w/out the top case. Thanks for the input and great pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Corbin Saddle Review

I could last about 2 hours on the stock seat before getting a little numb. Having over 85,000 miles on a BMW GS and Corbin I placed my order. It was delivered late Friday and installed with minor difficulty. It seemed lower than stock and a shorter seat length. I called Saturday morning and talked to Marty who, after some time on hold, gave me a return to fix at no charge number.
Since the factory is closed for the next 2 weeks he suggested I ride it and I did. 120 miles of freeway and mostly mountain roads.
First of all, I am short in the upper body with long legs and have some shoulder issues. My legs were somewhat cramped but livable with the stock saddle and I was high enough so that my shoulders weren't stressed (both metal and plastic parts added). The Corbin is a full 1 1/2 inches lower in the seat which badly cramped my legs and put some stresses on my shoulders. I was pushed forward by the "lumbar support" to almost the tank. The elevated sides seem to cut into my thighs. All in all I felt imprisoned on the seat with little freedom to shift. My butt, however, really like the firmness.
This morning I contacted Mike(Christopher?) and gave him the needed corrections. The result is it put in on the work order to be done at no charge. After some discussion he set it up for Corbin to pick up the seat then I will go up to Hollister and they will custom fit it.
Seems like super customer service to me. I will update with the results after January 9th when the factory is open again. At this point I wish I had just waited a little longer and had the seat custom made in the first place.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ordered a Corbin for my 2013 DL650 Adv. in Nov of 2013. From order to receipt of the seat it took about 3 weeks. No problem putting the seat on the bike. I've sat on the seat but with winter up here, I'll have to wait for a few months before I can ride the bike with the seat. Fit & finish were excellent and it mounted with no problems. The seat does seem lower than the stock, but I'll wait to pass judgment on it once I've put some miles on the seat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang, thats a nice seat. the seat is the only gripe i have about my storm.
Unfortunately, I no longer have my bike, but I still have the seat (excellent condition) which I am selling for $350 + Shipping. PM me if anybody is interested

·
Registered
435 Posts
I did the Iron Butt Saddlesore 2000 (2125 miles in under 48 hours) on my '12 650 V-Strom with the Corbin (not the heated version, just the standard one) No complaints. My butt wasn't sore afterwards, but my right hand kinda tingled for about a month. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the Holeshot version of the Corbin seat (it's made by Corbin but has a different cover). I got it because I don't like the stock Corbin cover -- that stupid flaming wheel thing on there is annoying. Price is the same as the regular Corbin. I'm not sure if there's any difference in the foam.

Anyway, I LOVE mine. I've done all-day rides in it several times and my butt doesn't get tired at all. It's fantastic.

Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the same seat minus the heat, easy install, seems more solidly attached to the bike and allows more rearward room IMHO. Pillion is very happy with thseat as well. She should be... she bought it for me!. The only niggle I have is that the leather surface is a little slipperier than the oem seat. It does 'feel' a little lower but that hasent caused me any grief. I havent had the chance for any long rides since I got it the middle of October. Took 2.5 weeks from order to receipt of package. It is heavier but that is because it has a proper seat pan that actually supports the seat and rider.
Note... this is the Dual Canyon version of Corbins seat!
Very Happy so far!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts