StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read all the posts about center stands for the 2012 and remained totally confused.

Firstly, I plan to ride my Strom off road quite a bit and I am not a peg dragger on the tarmac. So for me, Ground Clearance is much more important than cornering clearance.

This is what I know about what's out there:

Suzuki -- $328
Hepco Beker -- $265
SW-Motech -- $180
Happy Trails --$150
vStoma -- $140 (out of stock)
Murph's -- $120

Out of all of these, it seems the Suzuki and the SW motec are the only ones that have been redesigned to fit the 2012. So it seems that all the others will fit, but will assume that the bike has a rubber stop to cushion it when the stand flips up. Thus all the others will bang on metal parts under the bike unless you somehow jerry rig a rubber stopper. Correct?

Suzuki -- it seems to be good quality, but is outrageously priced. I prefer not to pay this much. Does not reduce Ground Clearance (GC), but does reduce Cornering Clearance (CC). Correct?

Hepco Beker -- Don't know much about this one, can't tell if it's designed to fit the 2012. I'd prefer not to spend this much. If I did, I'd like to have substantial reasons as to why?

SW Motec -- Designed to fit the 2012. It seems to be what most are using. Easy install. Decent Price. High Quality. Significantly reduces GC. Correct? If so, by how much?

Happy Trails -- Good price. Some are put off buy the Piece of Sh#t (including myself) disclaimer in the install instructions "Don't sit on the bike, don't roll off the center stand, this stand is fragile..." Is it of good quality? Does it effect GC? CC? How does it work on a 2012?

vStroma -- Appears to be a Suzuki stand Chinese clone. Out of stock. Quality?

Murphs -- Good value. Another Suzuki stand Chinese clone.People have been receiving it w/o all the parts or rusted parts. It seems to be good enough quality if you can get one with all the parts in good condition. How hard is it to deal with the no rubber stopper issue? Other than the other complaints, is it a decent stand?

I'd like to make a Murphs or Happy Trail priced stand work as it would fit my budget and I'd get a reliable stand that will last a long time support the bike. If not, I could stomach the $180 for a SW motech, but I don't want to give up GC.

Finally, don't some stands have trouble with some skid plates? If so, what skip plate/centerstand combo's present a problem?

Any advice or additional insight would be appreciated.

thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the OEM the left lean is affected, but unless you are at the track, I doubt you will notice.

The left curb feeler is increased by about an inch bigger when the OEM center stand is installed (see pics):

Right feeler:

Left Feeler:

And here are a few pics of the stand from different angles:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Murph's stand and I think it is an acceptable choice. It is very easy to get the bike up on the stand and it is rigid, fits well and is easy to install. The welds are not a thing of beauty but once installed this does not seem a large issue. I have yet to resolve the no bumper issue when mounted on a 2012. I hear some other riders have. I would welcome photos of their fixes. Clearance would be similar to the Suzuki part number. Murph is waiting on a mfr. fix for 2012 installs.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I moved the Vstroma stand from my K6 to my L2 and made up a stop.

It's an improved copy of the zuk stand anyway (slightly better clearance), but being able to make the stop a little shorter means it really tucks up well, near no chance of dragging it.

Pete

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I moved the Vstroma stand from my K6 to my L2 and made up a stop.

It's an improved copy of the zuk stand anyway (slightly better clearance), but being able to make the stop a little shorter means it really tucks up well, near no chance of dragging it.
Thanks Pete. I'd really like something that tucks up well. Was it easy to rig up a stopper? Could you share your fix?

I'll email vStroma today and see how long before they get new stock. Thx

Thanks for the link, gw. That explains the clearance differences perfectly. .6" is about 10% of the existing GC, that seems like a significant amount of precious GC, considering that lack of GC is the primary shortcoming of the strom for off road use when compared to the other "adv" bikes with 19" front wheels.

I have Murph's stand and I think it is an acceptable choice. It is very easy to get the bike up on the stand and it is rigid, fits well and is easy to install.

I have yet to resolve the no bumper issue when mounted on a 2012. Murph is waiting on a mfr. fix for 2012 installs.
Thx, xplore. The Murph's will be my go to if I can't find a significantly better choice. Did he have an eta on the fix for 2012 stroms? Maybe, I'll shoot him an email as well.

At least one person posted in the 2012 forum about how he solved the stopper prob with a Murphs. No pics tho'. Search this forum for centerstand.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Thanks Pete. I'd really like something that tucks up well. Was it easy to rig up a stopper? Could you share your fix?

Mine is crude, a stainless steel U-bolt , a couple of slabs of 3mm aluminium strap for packing and some rubber strips to cut the 'clank'.

A stainless exhaust clamp would work better, but I couldn't get one locally. (Double check, but I THINK 38mm on the U-bolt).

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
vStroma said:

"We have no frim ETA so it is off until like September.

Kelley"

The Happy Trails designer said that his stand is as strong as any and the "no sit on" warning was a legal disclaimer only. He says he sits on his all the time.

He also says that his uses its own stopper, so it has no banging prob on the 2012 and that neither GC or CC is compromised to any degree worth measurement.

I may go that way.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've bought three SW-Motech stand for three different Vstroms, each one was improved over the previous. The 2012 is very high quality.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've bought three SW-Motech stand for three different Vstroms, each one was improved over the previous. The 2012 is very high quality.
Thx.

The SW motech seems to be the "go to" choice for those not concerned about ground clearance. Unfortunately, that rules it out for me.

At this point, it between the Murphs & Happy Trails for me. I am leaning Happy Trails right now since it doesn't seem to need modification for the 2012. The Murphs have come rusted and with missing parts as well, but it's also $30 cheaper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed the SW Motech center stand today. Easy install and doesn't effect the leaning clearance. I have the SW Motech skid plate as well and it is streamlined with it. I'm really happy with my purchase and would recommend it to others:thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just installed the SW Motech center stand today. Easy install and doesn't effect the leaning clearance. I have the SW Motech skid plate as well and it is streamlined with it. I'm really happy with my purchase and would recommend it to others:thumbup:
Ditto for me....:hurray:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey Glassware, what did you wind up doing????????????????????? I'm in the same boat as you....too many compromises with these stands right now for the 2012.

Vince

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey Glassware, what did you wind up doing????????????????????? I'm in the same boat as you....too many compromises with these stands right now for the 2012.
I went with the Murph's, if you are going to make compromises, you might as well get the cheap one, right? As it turns out, I am very pleased with the Murph's kit. It does not bang into anything on the bottom even w/o a bumper. The rotation limit of the pivot joint is the limiting factor. It may get a tiny 1/8" square wear mark where it contacts with itself, but it makes no noise & does not hit anything on the bike.

It is easy to use and the kit was complete. recommended!

btw, it's glassWAVE. :mrgreen:

cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a Pitbull spool stand and can also raise boths ends higher for easy easy wheel removal ! Btw , dont remove both brakes as manual says !
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
38,048 Posts
Removing both calipers when removing the front wheel will certainly will do no harm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I called Twisted Throttle some time ago and asked if the SW Motech centerstand reduced the ground clearance beyond the reduction caused by their skidplate (which I have). The answer was no, no reduction beyond that of the skidplate.

Since you (and Bozz) have both would you two agree with that? TIA.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
44 Posts
Removing both calipers when removing the front wheel will certainly will do no harm.
I didnt mean to insinuate it would harm the caliper just that there is no need to break factory torqued bolts in this case . I prefer to spend my time riding rather than making a simple task more complicated . :thumbup:

·
38,048 Posts
Those bolts are torqued by the dealership setup person. One of the first things I do when i get a new bike is to put a torque wrench on those bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those bolts are torqued by the dealership setup person. One of the first things I do when i get a new bike is to put a torque wrench on those bolts.
As I recieve the bike from dealership its in my eye and legally "from the factory . " I know the dealership and don't worry about a simple task such as that . I've never retorqed this type of fasterner on a new bike maybe because of dozens of new bikes I've not had that type of issue . Again my sole point was that theres no need to remove both calipers . :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts