StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just lowered my bike and forks and its a beautiful thing now for my short legs. My kickstand needs altering for sure but I don't want to mess with the original. Is the 2012 kickstand the same as previous year V-Stroms? If so, I will snag one from FeeBay. I don't like the Soupys design on his adjustable stand, the foot bothers me regarding stability. Thanks all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a unique part number, not shared with earlier years.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good to know the 2012 kickstands are different from earlier.
Mine is lowered and I, too, need a kickstand that is shorter than stock.
This has absolutely nothing to do with what foot will or won't fit. The need is for a shorter kickstand so the bike leans similar to stock.
Seems only a few choices. buy a new one and cut/weld it to the desired length; cut/weld the existing one; or, buy an adjustable but at $125-ish-an expensive proposition.
I'm leaning toward cutting the existing stand about 3/8 inch. If I ever raise the bike back to stock, I can fit a plate to the bottom thick enough to get it back to stock length.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is 3/8 of an inch cut down what is recommended? Need to do the same. Going to lower mine this weekend. I am going to modify the stand it came with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have also read about some people grinding down the stops to allow a little more angle on the kickstand, but this sounds like a less than stellar idea? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I recall that when I bought my 2008 DR650, it had a factory stock shorter kickstand from Suzuki for use on lowered bikes. It was painted silver so you could distinguish it from the customary black-painted DR650 kickstand. I wonder if that unit would work on the DL650.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Is 3/8 of an inch cut down what is recommended? Need to do the same. Going to lower mine this weekend. I am going to modify the stand it came with.
I am making a wag on 3/8".
Saw a pic of one that had been shortened and it was done below the ring tab you hook with your foot when you put the stand down. Looked like about 3/8 to me. Too much is better than too little, I think, because you could fab a wide foot of something with the right thickness to get it exactly where you want it and you would now have a wide foot for soft ground, plus the shorter kickstand. Did the thicker foot on 2 Valkyries and an R1200C because they leaned too far. Installed with small bolts and nylon lock nuts countersunk into the foot material (from the bottom) so it looked decent.

I don't weld so I will have to take the stand to someone who can. It is planned for next week. If you do yours and screw it up at 3/8, let us know so we don't make the same mistake!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have also read about some people grinding down the stops to allow a little more angle on the kickstand, but this sounds like a less than stellar idea? Has anyone done this?
I find the kickstand on my 2012 standard to be just terrible. It doesn't extend forward enough, so even the slightest of grade will allow the bike to roll forward off the stand. Putting it in gear is no help because if the bike moves even a 1/2" forward that is enough to roll off the stand. Is everyone elses kickstand as sensitive as mine?

If this fix works ok, I'll gladly do it to mine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I find the kickstand on my 2012 standard to be just terrible. It doesn't extend forward enough, so even the slightest of grade will allow the bike to roll forward off the stand. Putting it in gear is no help because if the bike moves even a 1/2 forward that is enough to roll off the stand. Is everyone elses kickstand as sensitive as mine?

If this fix works ok, I'll gladly do it to mine.
I have had the same issue once or twice and almost dropped my wee. I make sure that I put it in gear and roll it as far forward as it will go, then put the stand down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts