StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those of you that have been around V-stroms a while and were owners or perspective owners when the 650 was updated in the past.

About how long after the release do 3rd party vendors start to catch up with add-ons? With the 2012 it seems most are reusable for the front half of the bike, but I haven't seen many vendors release luggage racks for the back half yet.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A vendor has to get a bike first. So far, some have and some have not. Sometimes, they ask for guinea pigs to bring their bike in and check for fit.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Look in the "What fits my bike" section at TwistedThrottle.com and see plenty of stuff already there. Major players like SW-Motech get early access to new models to develop accessories.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I don't like any of the luggage options so far. I spoke with Roger at Caribou cases last week, and he's still waiting on access to a bike. If I was anywhere near Boulder, I'd bring him mine because that's the luggage I've been using and want to stick with. I only need the rack. Of course, my bike is on hold at the dealer until they fix the switch. :thumbdown:

Pat Walsh Designs gave me a deal on crash bars, as the first person to check them for fit. They should bolt up, but you never truly know until you try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really would have thought vendors like Givi, Caribeau and such would have access to what they needed out of the gate. I guess it makes sense for Suzuki to try to push their stuff before the aftermarket trumps them.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm really surprised a chain guard isn't standard on this bike. Even the lower cowl should be included, imo. Then again, the bike is priced as such for a reason, I suppose.

·
38,103 Posts
It has a plastic chain guard, just like the older bikes. The lower cowling and accessory chain guard are basically cosmetic items.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It has a plastic chain guard, just like the older bikes. The lower cowling and accessory chain guard are basically cosmetic items.
The cowling looks like it will do a good job to keep UFOs from puncturing hoses or the oil filter. Mine just came and it feels solid. I don't want to hit a boulder with it, but would rather have it on there than not if/when I do.

·
38,103 Posts
An object that will be stopped by the plastic yet would do real damage if said plastic was not there will fall into a fairly narrow range of malevolence, hence, "basically".

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
OK good to know - one less thing I'll be buying! Thanks!
The lower cowling WILL protect the oil filter. Am I the only one who has ever had a punctured oil filter? It happened on my '05 on I-95 in Providence, RI.

This is how much oil was left in the bike by the time I realized the damage -- 35 miles later:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Kewl, that finally kills the argument that you don't need a belly pan.

I'd managed deep grooves, but not a puncture.

Many thanks :).

(For providing the evidence needed to drive a stake through the heart of the interminable threads on that very subject)

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Although no pic, aussie rider Pete AKA OneOff, also had a misfortune of a foreign object (kicked by own front tyre) striking his engine case where the oil hose from the oil radiator goes on the engine case. He cant just change a connector fitting as it is part of the engine case - so either new engine :thumbdown: or someone needs to weld it back on properly(not sure how)...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts