StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stuck in a parking lot recently with a non-starter.

I just picked up a 2012 V-Strom 650 used, about 3,000 miles. Ran great, no issues and then I went to start it in a parking lot one day and it decided not to go. I'm a bit new to it all so I'll lay it all out as much as I know.

-I left the keys in it, it probably sat about 45 minutes with the key in the on position
-When trying to start it, messing with the turn signal buttons and ignition switch would cause the displays to fritz out (come on and off, hop around)

I got it towed, about a week later (today) I messed with it again and:

-The noise that usually starts when I disengage the killswitch with the kickstand up is weak/much quieter (fuel pump?)
-The ignition switch currently crackles if I use it
-Still does not start, at first the displays came up properly but eventually acted up again
-FI light is on

Did I kill my battery, or are other forces at work here? I haven't modified anything on it since I picked it up at the dealership.

Pull no punches, I'm new but if I'm an idiot I'm okay with knowing it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You bought a used 2012 vstrom 650 at a dealer and now it won't start, I'd take it back to that dealer ASAP.
No screwing around.
If they are a good dealership, they will help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bought a used 2012 vstrom 650 at a dealer and now it won't start, I'd take it back to that dealer ASAP.
No screwing around.
If they are a good dealership, they will help you out.
Makes sense. Starting to feel glad I got the warranty, although it's going to suck being off of the thing for this long.

I appreciate the answer, Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The battery is dead. You left the key in the on position for 45 minutes and now it won't start. What else would it be. Get that battery charged and you'll be fine. No reason to go back to the dealer for something that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with you and NMTFN. . .. Bike was running fine before it was left on, now it shows symptoms of a severely undercharged battery. The three year old battery might not have been strong enough to have the key left on for 45 minutes.

You could consider a jump, but not sure what the safe jump procedure is. I'd check the manual, or perhaps someone could chime in.

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
I agree with you and NMTFN. . .. Bike was running fine before it was left on, now it shows symptoms of a severely undercharged battery. The three year old battery might not have been strong enough to have the key left on for 45 minutes.

You could consider a jump, but not sure what the safe jump procedure is. I'd check the manual, or perhaps someone could chime in.
No jumping........he needs a new battery or a charged battery. :fineprint: To the OP I recommend a battery tender for the charging process, and don't spend the big money at a dealer for a battery unless it is the most convenient.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's a 2012. Old enough that the battery is seeing the end of it's life cycle. Do yourself a favor and just replace it with a quality AGM battery not cheap stuff. I have found batteries on Amazon for $58.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi.You are going to need a battery tender or the like anyway.Unless you ride year round every year.The battery MIGHT be pooched.Do the cheap and sensible thing first.Got a riding buddy? Boost from any other bike just to get it started.Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the feedback. I had meant to change the oil and the battery at some point anyways, but it's hard not to play with a new toy immediately...

I've got a few tools to pick up and I'll give it a more proper diagnosis/fix this week. I feel better already knowing that the symptoms suit a discharged battery and I'll update when all is well. Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All done!

I threw a multimeter on the battery and it was reading a little under 10 volts. Seeing as it was a pretty old battery I threw in a new one and everything was back to life. I was worried about a short or something else because of the anomalies on the display but it was indeed just a dead battery.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Always good news!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts