StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see if any owners of the new 2012 650 Wee have ridden any 500 or 600 mile days on a trip yet? I find it to be a good commuter so far, I have not been able to evaluate comfort level over a long distance.

Would be interested to hear impressions of overall rider comfort on a long day I the saddle. A very subjective topic of course. None the less it would be interesting to learn about other rider opinions of the 2012 Wee regarding the long haul days.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think comfort is different for everyone. Even as a kid I was squirming 15 minutes at the movie theater with my arse on fire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No 500-mile days yet (and maybe not ever), but I spent all day yesterday flogging my '12 on a 430-mile loop over a several mountain passes here. I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and found it pretty comfortable, though my knees were kind of creaky at the end of one long stretch without a saddle break. I didn't have any issues that some kind of saddle cushion wouldn't fix easily and cheaply.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've run for about 3 hrs at a pop from Jax to So Fla.. Major ass burn even with a custom Sargent seat.. I guess it has to break in.. No problems with the bike crusing at the speed limit and above.. Fuel miles vary from 45 running into a head wind to 55 with a tail wind. Peilcan bags drop the mpg's down a bit.
Passing at speed is no problem either. Just twist and shout..
I'm coming off a ST 1300 that I did a bunch of LD rides and my 650 V Strom is a keeper...

Just got to get in touch with Rick Mayer for a new seat...

·
Registered
536 Posts
+/- 300/day a couple times. Very comfortable, but I'm riding off pavement a lot and may want more comfort there. I'm thinking a medium airhawk would bring it home.

The true test comes in the fall with a two month UT > ID > NH > TN > UT loop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think comfort is different for everyone. Even as a kid I was squirming 15 minutes at the movie theater with my arse on fire.
Great feedback mud! :green_lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did 640 and 570 mile days on my recent 3400 mile trip from Austin to Key West.

I was expecting the worst but found the OEM seat fits my arse better than any OEM seat since my '81 R100RS airhead. I'd put a Russell Day Long on my '04 Connie, glad I won't have that expense with the L2 Wee.

Purely individual luck/fit but I'm a happy camper to say the least! I'm no hero and will stop for the day before suffering butt burn.

BTW, I'm 175# / 5'10", daily gear is a 1-piece Roadcrafter (ATTGATT rider)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done a 600 mile day on the Glee, and a few on the Wee, one outlier at 750 miles which I don't intend to repeat without an emergency scheduling constraint (which it was, had to hightail it home). The Glee's seat is more grippy so you have to treat it differently after a while. On any bike, I generally take a regular quick break with stretching after 60-90 minutes. Usually I match that up to gas or food stops, but of course sometimes the scenery has to be appreciated for a while. I plan trips so that they have legs that fit a decent break schedule, and try to anticipate varying times at which I reach exhaustion.

I usually find that such days are actually easy to plan. What I find difficult is how to plan a series of them. I find that I can do one 600-mile day, one 550-mile day, and then one more day that depends entirely on the nature of the trip and weather, and then any fourth day is essentially useless and I need to take that day off or at least not ride a long distance. So that essentially means I can go 1600 miles in some direction for three days and then take a day off, then go in some other direction a similar amount.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've gone long enough to know the stock seat isn't going to handle the 600-800 miles I often do in one day so I bought a Russell seat. I didn't take a long trip last year due to heat when I had trips planned. I rode in near 100F conditions two years ago between Idaho and the Chicago area and it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I rode seven 500-mile days in a row last summer, and found the long distance comfort of the 2012 to be very fine for this type of bike, with a few caveats. All the gory details are in the ride report in my signature.

• Overall, consecutive long-distance days were not a problem for me on the Strom, although I am very small, light, and flexible - 5'7", 30" inseam, 140 pounds. I once rode a CBR125 350 miles in 8 hours through the mountains and enjoyed it, so YMMV.

• I ride the OEM low seat, which brings me closer to the bars, but unfortunately also tightens up the seat to peg distance. After 4 or 5 hours I got some knee discomfort and wished that I had more clearance there. This year, I may try going back to the standard seat to open up the bend.

• As if we all didn't already know, wind management is huge. By sheer luck, the Icon Alliance helmet that I took on the trip worked well with my size and the stock windshield - it generated quite a bit of noise (I always ride with earplugs and in-helmet speakers, so no foul) but very little buffeting except in extreme crosswinds. I also have an Arai XD3, and if I had to ride that for more than 100 miles I think I'd just dump the bike and walk home. I have since upgraded the screen to a Givi Airflow and my street helmet to a Bell Star, and hope this combination will be even better.

• The 2012 is sensitive to road type. It's got a comparatively small engine, wide bars, narrow tires for a street bike, and loves to turn. It makes twisties practically effortless, so 500 mile routes made up of 90% high-speed backroad curves (Idaho FTW) were sheer heaven. I could easily have gone another 300 on those days and still have been grinning.

• Superslab, not so much. On a straight, windy interstate, the height and shape of the bike coupled with low displacement and mediocre wind control equals exhaustion. On the two days that I had to point her straight and pin it, I just wanted to be done after a couple hours. That sort of riding calls for a Concours, FJR, VFR, K1300S, Hayabusa, Electra Glide, whatever - not a V-Strom. Boo. If you have multiple 500 mile days of freeway riding on a V-Strom, I feel sorry for you.

That said, I've been toying around with the idea of doing an IBA SS1000 this year, which would pretty much have to be a long day of slab. I think one or two 2012 riders here that have done this already - it would be interesting for them to chime in...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i've got two days of 450 miles at 90% interstate. I have a fork brace, Corbin seat, and highway bars. This bike is very smoothe and capable. I rode a 7k mile trip on my 2012 goldwing last summer. within two weeks of returning from that trip, I sold the goldwing and bought my weestrom. the strom is way more comfortable than the wing. This past sunday was my wife's first ride on it and acording to her, it is just as comfortable for her as the wing with big lounge chair. i'm only addressing comfort. all else is good too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts