StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish my side stand was a little shorter, or, would swing farther forward before hitting the stop. Anyone ever tried to modify these? I'm not comfortable parking the bike anywhere other than on perfectly level ground.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Has the bike been lowered?
That's a good question. Most people complain that the bike leans too far on the stand.
If the stand isn't going far enough forward perhaps some dirt, etc. preventing forward movement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not the original owner, so can't say for sure that the bike has not been lowered, although I don't think so. How would I tell? I have looked at the "stop", and can't see any dirt, etc. in the way. Can't imagine anyone thinking it leans "too far" on the stand, unless maybe, Suzuki made a change after my 2012. My BMW GS leans farther on the stand, and seems about right. I thought of filing some metal off the stop, but that looks pretty involved.
Mike

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Shortening the side stand is not hard. Any weld shop can do it in a few minutes for a few dollars. The harder part is determining how much you need to remove. Fortunately fear not I have taken the complications and guess work out it that as well.

Get you some pieces of plastic, wood or metal 1/8" or 1/4" thick. Put two shims on the floor and roll the bike onto the shims making sure they are fully under the tire. Then lean the bike over on the side stand. If its now leaning enough whatever the thickness of the the shims are under the tires are the amount you need to remove from the length of the side stand. This also works if you need to shorten a center stand.

If its not leaning over the amount you want with one shim add another and repeat until you get the lean you want.

Where are you located. If your close to me I can get the modification done for you at no cost.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took an angle grinder and removed a very small amount of the kickstand bump stop. Greased it and it works great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Quote from Hatchi post: "I took an angle grinder and removed a very small amount of the kickstand bump stop"
Did you take any pix? I'm sure that there are other members, with lowered bikes, who are thinking of this mod but not sure where or how much to grind.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
When grinding stuff away I have always taken it off the stand it self, just mark out the place where the stand and the stop meet and do a little at a time.

The reason for doing the stand is if you ever want to go back again it is easy to remove the stand, then walk into a welding shop the get some material added back on or you can buy another stand quite easily or do a swap with another member here.

When the bike is lowered grinding off the stop will not work for everybody, "it will for some but not for all", it will help the bike sit better when on the stand but getting it onto the stand can be a problem, because the stand is still full length but the bike is lower you may have to lean the bike way over to the right to get the stand into position before leaning it to the left and onto the stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts