StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to take some measurements on the 2012 Fork internals on my 650 (can't quite call it a Glee yet..) anyway, I couldn't easily find the info. from the earlier years, but am sure it is out there, and thought there may be some interest to see what is different based on the different ride quality reports.. so, here it goes, if any other measurements are needed, let me know...

Spring
Dual rate, dense coils go down
Free length 17 3/4 inch
OD 1.452"
Coil thickness 0.207"
Active coil count 38 1/3
Rate is ~0.64 / 0.84 kg/mm (calculated by a friend in the suspension business)

Spacer
Length 3.939" (100 mm)
OD 1.336"
Wall thickness 0.025"

Damper Rod
Compression holes:0.277" dia., Qty. 2, ~ 1 5/8" from bottom of the rod to centerline of the holes, 180 degrees apart
Rebound hole: (measured with drill bits) has a burr or intentional lip? a 3/32" bit fits snugly in the outside of the hole, there's a visible lip or burr on the inside that the 3/32" bit won't pass, a 5/64" bit is loose. 6 7/16" from bottom of the rod.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Man, you're gonna have to start thinking metric sooner or later. Much easier.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
metric

my fancy battery powered calipers that read out in metric or SAE have a dead battery... so I'm back to my good ole dial calipers that are in thousandths, very few if any metric drill bits either..

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Thank you Mr scbiker2 for posting the info.

i cant comment on the compression holes as mine were enlarged earlier and i didnt take note of original size.

The rebound hole sounds like it is unchanged from previous year. My 2mm drill bit pass through my K8 but the "lip"is measured to be approx 2.3mm. so all correspond to scbiker2 finding.

I had the my K8 spring measured for compression between 35 - 100 mm and it was about 73NM (i believe K4-K6 spring even softer?)- so the spring has obviously increase in rate - this probably means most guys to 85kg would find the spring adequate if not sporty.

never measured the stock preload spacer and it wont matter that much anyway - the adjuster has about 10mm of adjustment.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The L2 stock spring works well with Intiminators, and (unlike my K6), it wasn't obviously 'far too soft' to start with, so yes, probably about right one-up, if you aren't too heavy.

Useful information, thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
So will these stock 2012 springs fit in 2006 forks without any changes? My forks are at the dealer and the service writer does not have a clue about these, other than noting the part numbers are different. I'd like to have some idea before they experiment and give me the bill.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
So will these stock 2012 springs fit in 2006 forks without any changes? My forks are at the dealer and the service writer does not have a clue about these, other than noting the part numbers are different. I'd like to have some idea before they experiment and give me the bill.
Yes, they'll drop right in. Won't be much of an improvement, but if you can get a set for very cheap it will help a little.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Yes, they'll drop right in. Won't be much of an improvement, but if you can get a set for very cheap it will help a little.
Thanks for the reply Rich. I did get them for cheap ($30). The bike has 47k miles and I don't think the fork oil has ever been changed, so I might as well use the springs since I bought them.

I'd like to do more, but too many other maintance items on the bike and car right now. Fortunately, I am not a heavy wieght so I should be able to do with this for now.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rich. I did get them for cheap ($30). The bike has 47k miles and I don't think the fork oil has ever been changed, so I might as well use the springs since I bought them.

I'd like to do more, but too many other maintance items on the bike and car right now. Fortunately, I am not a heavy wieght so I should be able to do with this for now.
The new fork oil will help quite a bit. Use 10w in there.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thanks again for the info Rich. I took my forks back from the dealer before they worked on them, because I figured I could do this myself and save the money. My old boss even had a bottle of the same fork oil I bought, so I did not have to buy a second bottle for a couple of ounces.

Took it out today for a ride and along with the new chain/sprockets, new Michelin PR3s and the minor fork work, it seems like a new bike. The biggest being the chain and sprockets I think. It shifts like butter now. Can't wait for the tires to be fully scrubbed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts