StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine Noise

I posted the video above the Suzuki Rep says this is a normal and was wondering how many others have the same sound in their engine.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Many DL650s have been ticking like that since the 2007 models and maybe before.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Normal? I would be frustrated. I wonder if that plate under the engine doesn't make a huge contribution for this noise.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah that would worry me too. Mine doesnt do it. Make sure your skid plate isnt barely touching the very bottom flat piece of exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2012 makes the same noise, only once it has warmed up however.

Cold start is quiet, once the second bar on temp gauge shows it starts the ticking. Maybe not quite as bad as yours, and only at idle. As soon as the revs rise 150-200 above idle no ticking noise.

Interestingly I can not hear it with my helmet on, only with it removed.

My bike has 9000km on the clock now and I have no idea how long it has been making the noise as usually I start the bike and while it's warming up I am putting my helmet on.

A well trusted Suzuki mechanic told me no problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have not heard that noise on mine. I dont have the skid plate or engine guard and I wonder if that is causing an amplification of the noise.

In the old days we would have blamed it on a collapsed lifter or valve out of spec.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I started hearing that noise only after changing over to Rotella T oil. As some said it goes away at anything but idle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm a new owner as well and I'm sometimes worried about all the noises that motor makes, but I love it once it's on the road, what a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
773 Posts
The skid plates definitely do reflect (and subsequently amplify) engine sounds. That being said, I haven't heard the ticking. However, I also get the plugs in, and helmet on as soon as I start it up. I'll check it out tomorrow if the sound is there once I get the 2nd temp bar....

Funny thing is, of all the bikes I've owned, I like the smooth sound of this engine the most... (a previous Inline-4 sounded pretty good as well, however, didn't have the deeper, satisfying rumble of the Glee).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Im not sure what is normal on these things but mine seems quiet and smooth, compared to my Harleys I guess I would expect that. If its below 30 deg when I start it the motor will tick for a second or two but it goes away. I suspect as the motor runs in over the years it will develop some noises as most others do. Heck, at 5500 RPM's my TC88 sounded like a M60.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I had bit of a ticking when I changed my valve shims. Ended up going back to stock shims.

You could use a mechanics stethoscope and probe around for the strongest sounding area for the ticking...Or even a long screwdriver or metal rod in your ear. Just be careful with the shadetree stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been riding Harley's for the past 14 years. Your engine is dead quiet in comparison. Provided engine noises do not get ridiculously loud and you do not lose power keep riding with peace of mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is a new 2013 with just 216 kms on it.
I hear a ticking sound when I pull the throttle but when I decelerate the sound desappears but, maybe it´s normal. Every engine has their own particular sounds/noises, I think it´s a matter of time getting used to each engine. I owned a Versys and then a Tiger 800XC, each one has their own sounds but I have to say I love this engine... it´s smooth with a natural deep sound... I think it´s the first bike that I'm doubting put my Leo Vince Exhaust.

The other day, a friend of mine show me his brand new KTM 1190 Adventurer and it sounds horrible, really... I said; You have to install your Akrapovic right now!

I will break in the engine first, do some long rides and decide later if install the exhaust I have...

By the way... what BKP says is true, the Skid Plate reflects many engine noises, it´s logic and normal. In my case, I put a Hepco&Becker but I have to add two washers in the front bolts because the plate touched the exhaust tube clamp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
no ... actually sounds like exhaust or a fastener.. noticed it before or aft skidplate??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Engine Noise

It is similar to a post above no ticking sound at start when cold, once the second bar on temp gauge shows it starts the ticking. As soon as the revs rise 150-200 above idle there is no ticking noise. The bike started making the noise with around 100 miles on it. It now has 800 and the noise seems to be getting worse. The dealer originaly said it was valve noise so I took it in to get the valves adjusted at 600 miles they told me it was a tolerance issue from the factory not related to the valves and there is nothing they could do about it. They would have to talk to the Suzuki rep on how to handle the issue. A week later they call telling me it's the timing chain tensioner and want to look at it again after keeping it for a week they call telling me the bike is ready but the noise is still there and they can't do anything about it. They get the Suzuki rep involved and he says the ticking is normal. I wanted know if others out there are having this same issue.

I can take the skip plate off and it has no impact on the ticking. The ticking sounds like it coming from the top of the rear cylinder.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts