StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by starting that while I owned a couple bikes in my youth, I haven't ridden in a loooong time. After a lot of research I've decided that a 650 vstrom seems like a solid choice to reintroduce myself to riding, and I've been pestering the sales staff at my local dealership. They don't have any '18s (or '17s for that matter) in stock, and won't until mid Feb. They did have a 2012 650 adventure, with 28,xxx on the clock, but they want $6999 for it. I'm going to to test ride it, but the price seems steep compared to a new bike ($8799 base, $9299 for the xt) adventure package or not. Just looking for some advice on a good price for the '12, or if I should just wait until the '18s get shipped.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That seems really high for a '12 with that kind of mileage. I would wait for a new one if you can afford it.
But definitely go for a test ride on the used one if you can. That will give you some idea of what a Vstrom is like.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
The price is outrageous. I paid less than $8k out the door for my zero miles 2014 DL650 Adventure.

With a bit of patience and some Craigslist and other ad venue watching you can buy garage queen 2012-14 650's for less than $5k

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, outrageous price. I just bought a new (well, 1 mile on the odometer) leftover 2016 650 XT (ABS, spoke wheels) in December for $6900 out-the-door.

No farkles, but I would rather put my own on anyway. $600 more so far for SW-Motech crash bars, Ravetech skid plate, Barkbuster handguards and an SW-Motech oversized sidestand foot. All much higher quality than OEM.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Even from a dealer, that bike shouldn't be more than 5K, less from an individual. If you want luggage, that's something to consider as it's very expensive to add later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently paid $3400 off Ebay ($3800 with shipping from out of state) for a nice 2012 with 7500 miles. I have spent an additional $600 on some add ons (Givi windscreen, fork stabilizer, SS brake lines, peg lowering brackets, lowering links) and needed routine maintenance interval supplies. If you buy a used bike and it's due for interval maintenance that will add to your cost especially if you take it to a shop.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Depending where in this world you live can affect the cost, in the UNited States one area to another will affect the price.
If you add your location it will help you to get better information. The price will be affected if coming into or out of winter non ride season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The dealership sells several brands, and I think they're a little more partial to Kawasaki, tbh.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Just a minute ago I just looked over on the advrider.com flea market and there are a half-dozen 2012 - 2016 VStrom's for sale anywhere from $4,000 to $7,000.

My advice? Keep shopping, and let the dealer find a "more money than sense" impulse buyer to take advantage of on the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$8799 seems really high for a used '12 adventure

I bought my 2014 DL650 Adventure in 2015 new out the door for a little over 10k
The 2018 is $8799. They want seven grand for the '12. $6999 to be precise (plus TTL, etc). It does come with heated grips, engine skid plate, hard cases, etc.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Can't do cl. Gotta finance.
Any bank or credit union should be happy to finance for you.
If you are going to finance, then I agree with JLee. Go to your bank or credit union and work out the money part, and then deal with the dealer without telling how you plan to pay.

Most dealer sales people will have a folksy demeanor and will slip a "how do you plan to pay" question into the discussion while they are inundating you with images of adrenaline rush and hair blowing in the wind if you buy that bike.

Their goal is to squeeze every possible penny out of you, and if they know you want the bike and are financing with them, the price is final.

So when he slips in the "how do you plan to pay" question, you answer with "we'll talk about that when the price is right."

Then, after the price is right, you can write him a check and tell him to send the paperwork to the bank or credit union. Be sure and work it out before signing the check, but if your banker is working with you they will take care of the balance issues when the paperwork is done.

Next, don't get fixated on that motorcycle. Yes, it may have all the bags and accessories you want (today), but there are hundreds of the same bike out there that can be accessorized to your liking after you find a bike that fits what you want.

Be willing to walk away from any deal until you get the money where you want it.

Finally, there are dealers with internet sales departments that do a brisk business. Look until you are satisfied you have found what you want at a price you can sleep with.

JMHO

·
Registered
894 Posts
Financing a new bike generally gets better interest rates than a used bike. Often manufacturers offer financing incentives, especially on previous year models. Check Cycle Trader for internet sales through dealers in your vicinity.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I recently paid $3400 off Ebay ($3800 with shipping from out of state) for a nice 2012 with 7500 miles. I have spent an additional $600 on some add ons (Givi windscreen, fork stabilizer, SS brake lines, peg lowering brackets, lowering links) and needed routine maintenance interval supplies. If you buy a used bike and it's due for interval maintenance that will add to your cost especially if you take it to a shop.
It wasn't the orange one from Georgia, was it? If so you beat me by about 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts