StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am approaching 600 miles - and I would like to do the maintenance check up myself. I know it involves oil, oil filter, lubing the chain and checking all fluids. I would like to know what else is involved, including which bolts to torque - and the torque specs on the bolts... I thought there was a thread on this some time ago, but I could not find it - and also I wonder if there may be more to do on the '12 VStrom... the dealers wants $140.00+, and I can do it myself if I know all of what needs to be done.

Thanks,

--John

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
It might involve tightening everything.

Check your warranty manual. see exactly what it says you must do to keep the warranty in effect.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello All,

I am approaching 600 miles - and I would like to do the maintenance check up myself. I know it involves oil, oil filter, lubing the chain and checking all fluids. I would like to know what else is involved, including which bolts to torque - and the torque specs on the bolts... I thought there was a thread on this some time ago, but I could not find it - and also I wonder if there may be more to do on the '12 VStrom... the dealers wants $140.00+, and I can do it myself if I know all of what needs to be done.

Thanks,

--John
It's all listed in your owner's manual (except the torque specs...I just "snugged" any fasteners that were loose enough to do so without over tightening - didn't really find anything that was loose.)

FWIW, I documented each action along with the date and mileage and stapled a copy of the receipt for the oil and filter to the printout:

Item/Action
Exhaust Pipe/Muffler Bolts = Tightened
Engine Oil = Replaced
Engine Oil Filter = Replaced
Throttle Cable Play = Inspected (ok, no adj. nec.)
Clutch Lever Play = Inspected (adj. to spec)
Drive Chain = Inspected (adj. to spec)
Brake Fluid = Inspected (ok, no adj. nec.)
Engine Coolant = Inspected (ok, no need to add)
Steering = Inspected (lock to lock, no binding or play)
Chassis Bolts/Nuts = Inspected/Tightened

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks,

--John
Do yourself a favor and take some of your savings and buy a genuine shop manual for it. My dealer ordered me one for about $70. As another poster mentioned the biggest part of the 600 appears to be tightening and torquing things down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just charged $259 by my dealer for a 600 mile service. The receipt said 2.65 hours of labor were required. Is there really 2.65 hours of labor involved, or am I being taken advantage of?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was just charged $259 by my dealer for a 600 mile service. The receipt said 2.65 hours of labor were required. Is there really 2.65 hours of labor involved, or am I being taken advantage of?
They got you... Hook line and sinker... The 600mile service only requires an oil/filter change, maybe a chain adjust and a basic checking for anything loose... Should have done it yourself....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You are required to ride a 1 mile wheelie at the 600 mile mark. That's it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup, you got robbed!my dealer in Kingston ALSO wanted 3 hrs labour and $300, so I checked with this forum and most say that it is only an hours work that they got charged. I phoned the Suzuki dealer in Belleville and Toronto, and the Toronto dealer said 1 1/2 hours the longest and the Belleville dealer ( Belleville Sport & Lawn) said he can have it done with only an hours work. I went with them and my bill came to $106. I guess their mechanics are more efficient. I will now NEVER deal with the Kingston dealer again even though that is where I got my bike:thumbdown:.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep, only took my dealer 1hr 30min. And mine was free of charge as a thankyou gesture for buying the bike from them. Come to think of it, every dealer I have bought from in the UK has given free 1st service as a good will gesture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer said it would take 3-4 hours at a shop rate of $124.00/hour. Said that adjusting the valves would be done during that time. No thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A valve clearance check comes at 14,500 miles, not 600. The schedule is in the manual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I fix semi trucks and an oil change usually cost 200-300 depending on the type of engine. That's including actual almost 2 hours labor, depends on experience of the mechanic, 10 gallons of oil, several fuel and oil filters, and inspect the whole truck. Oh and grease everything that supposed to be greased. The owner can even watch us do it if he wants.
I'm gonna do all my own maintenance and write my own receipts for proof at the shop. My dealer quoted me 160 plus parts for the first oil change. So prolly over 200

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, only took my dealer 1hr 30min. And mine was free of charge as a thankyou gesture for buying the bike from them
As should be a standard gesture.

My dealer did offer 50% off the first service ($210 less 50%), so I'll give them that. They just aren't close so I did the 600 mile service myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
it took 2 hours -- 127.00

·
Registered
103 Posts
My shop manual is still on order...

So, I need to do 600 mile maintenance today. I bought the bike 10 days ago and ordered a shop manual at the time. It still hasn't come in. Is there anything other than torque specs in the shop manual that's not in the owners manual?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Is there anything other than torque specs in the shop manual that's not in the owners manual?
The difference is night and day. The service manual in over an inch thick. It contains all the information needed to do any work on the bike.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would think most "adventure riders" would want to do their own maintenance, even simply changing the oil. It gives you a good chance to learn something about the bike and how to deal with a problem when out on the road or Off-Road. Buy the oil and filter, take the rest of the money and purchase a tool kit that will allow you to do most of the work. JMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did 75% of the 600 mile service. I'm a super new guy when it comes to bike maintenance so here's what I did:

1. Went out and bought the Suzuki OEM filter from motoshop =$15 (if I remember correctly- I kept receipts and based on what I read on this thread will keep a notebook of all work).

2. Went to Autozone and bought 3 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic (I don't know, looked cool to me, probably could have gone cheaper but sparkly things catch my eye) = $30.

3. Cracked my owners manual and followed the directions. Oil and filter change done in about 15 minutes. Total cost = $45

Only tricky part was marking the filter and then doing the 2 turn thing the manual says to do so that the filter is properly seated- my pen mark came off as I was twisting it so I just snugged it up nice and easy- not too tight. I checked the filter and oil drain plug after running the thing around a bit and there was no leakage so I think I did it right.

I did buy two new crush washers but everything looked fine with the one that was on there so I left it on.

The other 25% involves inspecting bolts for correct torque, adjusting and lubing chain and inspecting adjusting control cables. I don't have a torque wrench so I didn't do the other stuff- bike seems to run fine.

Once I have the manual I'll figure out how to do the other stuff- I'd like to do most of my own maintenance. I'll probably bring it in to the shop for the next check just to let them do their thing (which may be a $$$ waste- I know but I figured I just saved some bucks on this service so it's like a discount) in case I missed something.

On my purchase list is a torque wrench, shop manual and beer. Beer makes the job much easier and is highly recommended- wish one of you veteran guys would have told me that when I started.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts