StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old thread about retrofitting but couldn’t find anything on this site about doing it to the 12-16 model. Has anyone done it? I’d like to do this to mine but would feel better seeing pics or hearing from someone here that it worked out well for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you were going to crack open the headlight to do this, you might as well just do the LED projector retro fit. I am actually going to start looking for a ebay headlight assembly to see if it can be accomplished cost effectively. $192 new, and I am not willing to open one up at that price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you were going to crack open the headlight to do this, you might as well just do the LED projector retro fit. I am actually going to start looking for a ebay headlight assembly to see if it can be accomplished cost effectively. $192 new, and I am not willing to open one up at that price.

LED’s still aren’t quite as bright as hid. I have led bulbs in there now and they are pretty decent but the light is scattered. I think what I would like to do is install one projector with hid and leave the other side alone so I’ll still have a little light above the cutoff line.

What led projector are you looking at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually LED projector retrofits are as good as HID, hence the OEM application of it more and more. LED bulbs are no where the quality of a projector LED. Lori Morimoto is one of the better known HID projector retrofits, and also build LED projector retrofits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Instead of jacking around with the headlights why not just add auxiliary lights?

More than likely you would have more and better quality light down the road than retrofitting whatever into the headlights.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did HID projector retrofit on my FZ6. I'll post up some pics later when I get to a computer. It's not terribly difficult to do, but I'm pretty handy with electronics stuff like this though. I bought the stuff from theretrofitsource.com on a Black Friday sale (usually 15-30% off). It made a big difference, but the FZ6 stock has worse lighting than the Wee does - the left side is low beam, and the right side is high beam. The Wee has dual highs and lows.

Opening up the headlight isn't a big deal, preheat the oven first to 200f. And adding projectors is doable in a way that it's easily able to go back to stock (I recently did on my bike, only needed to purchase new rubber headlight boots for like $6)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of jacking around with the headlights why not just add auxiliary lights?

More than likely you would have more and better quality light down the road than retrofitting whatever into the headlights.

Hid projectors are really the best way to upgrade the factory lights. When done correctly the lights are 3 to 5 times brighter with a perfect pattern that doesn’t blind oncoming traffic. Adding auxiliary lights is fine if u don’t mind having extra stuff hanging on the front of the bike and adding more wiring. And good aux lights can be pricy. I’d rather have awesome lights inside the original headlight. I’ve been wanting to try a retrofit project for years and I’m thinking the strom is going to be the first guinea pig. Just trying to find out if anyone here has done it on a 12-16 650 and how it worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Hid projectors are really the best way to upgrade the factory lights. When done correctly the lights are 3 to 5 times brighter with a perfect pattern that doesn’t blind oncoming traffic. Adding auxiliary lights is fine if u don’t mind having extra stuff hanging on the front of the bike and adding more wiring. And good aux lights can be pricy. I’d rather have awesome lights inside the original headlight. I’ve been wanting to try a retrofit project for years and I’m thinking the strom is going to be the first guinea pig. Just trying to find out if anyone here has done it on a 12-16 650 and how it worked out.

In most countries it's illegal to retro fit HIDs into halogen housings. The housing is not designed for HID projectors and the beam cutoff will always be screwed up.

Retrofit HID into halogen housing illegal?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In most countries it's illegal to retro fit HIDs into halogen housings. The housing is not designed for HID projectors and the beam cutoff will always be screwed up.

Retrofit HID into halogen housing illegal?

A “retrofit” is not simply replacing halogen bulbs with hid bulbs. It does not use the reflector other than to mount the projector housing. Using this method eliminates beam scatter. The cutoff is perfect, just as if it had hids from the factory. A retrofit may not be DOT compliant, but it is far superior to using hid bulbs in a halogen reflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
A “retrofit” is not simply replacing halogen bulbs with hid bulbs. It does not use the reflector other than to mount the projector housing. Using this method eliminates beam scatter. The cutoff is perfect, just as if it had hids from the factory. A retrofit may not be DOT compliant, but it is far superior to using hid bulbs in a halogen reflector.

Yea it's not DOT compliant and you could get a ticket because it's not legal.

Why do you want lights 3-5 times brighter than the OEMs? How could you use those around other drivers?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Why do you want lights 3-5 times brighter than the OEMs? How could you use those around other drivers?
Have you ever driven a modern high-end car with HID headlights? They work incredibly well. It's the same principal. You're not just swapping halogen bulbs for HID bulbs. The stock reflector doesn't come into play at all, it can be removed altogether. You've got a projector designed for the HID bulb with the cutoff, and a clear lens on the headlight assembly.

In general, modifying any lights is illegal. Those auxiliary lights you mentioned, if they don't have a DOT stamp, they're illegal. Replacing bulbs with LED's, probably illegal. Adding extra brake lights, probably illegal. Aftermarket exhausts, definitely illegal. If its done safely and not annoying, chances are you wont get hassled.

Proper vertical adjustment is important to not blind oncoming traffic. On a bike though, I'll admit extra care has to be taken to not annoy drivers. Rolling on the throttle causes the front end to lift, raising the beam. Extra payload or a passenger without adjusting preload will lower the rear, raising the beam.

Here's a link on my local forum with pics of my install: HID install how-to, and product/vendor review - Band Of Riders

Before:

After:

With HID's on:

HID's off, Halo LED DRL's on:

·
Registered
55 Posts

Please quote the DOT regulation on projector retrofit. Or even the NHTSB regulation on projector retrofit. Both of these are FEDERAL regulations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts