StromTrooper banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
  • Aux Brake Light(s). The stock brake light, even with brighter LED bulbs, is pathetic. I perhaps have gone a bit overboard on this front (14" aux red brake light + red & blue aux brake lights which are legal in my state), but even just mounting a single, bright and / or temporarily flashing brake light I think is a huge improvement.
@thirdofthree
What red+blue auxiliary brake light are you using?

I've been thinking about adding a blue brake light somewhere on my 2012 Glee since it is also legal in my state. (Edit: I am also in Illinois) I have, however, had a hard time finding ones I like and haven't really figured out how I would mount one if I did buy one.

If you have pics of your install, I'd be interested to see how you mounted everything.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
CS - I wish there was a simple solution, but there isn't...at least not that I could find.

Short Version

I couldn't find a standalone product I considered suitable. Finding something that worked for me took some searching and experimentation. The whole setup is hacked together from a variety of bits & pieces. Details below in the Long Version.

Ultimately, I added a second set of turn signal stalks with clear lenses & red LED bulb as aux brake lights, mounted below my turn signals with aluminum flatbar. (Note my turn signals are not in stock position, due to my Hepco Becker Lock-It racks.) The second set includes blue hideaway LEDs mounted in the center of the clear lens. Both red and blue are wired to go steady-on when braking.

It's not pretty, nor elegant, but I'm fairly utilitarian when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'll see if I can get some good lights-on pics tomorrow or Tue, but for now:

Aux Brake Lights Off Brighter sm.jpg Aux Brake Lights Off Brighter zoom sm.jpg

Long Version

I initially thought I could get away with simply mounting a <= 1" diameter blue led light, but as I read it (although I am not a lawyer) the law is clear the blue light needs to be part of a red or amber brake lamp.* I found absolutely nothing in the market I considered suitable, so I put together my own from a few different parts. Between my primary aux brake light and the "blue dot" aux brake lights, I took a long, roundabout path to finding lights that would do what I wanted. Fortunately, I enjoy dorking around with this kind of stuff.

What I finally put on the bike:
  1. Cheapo AliExpress turn signal stalks with clear lenses - something like these, though the ones I bought don't seem to be listed any longer. One of these days, I'll remember to add reflective aluminum duct tape to the insides of the lens pods.
  2. Red LED bulbs - one of which unfortunately just went out, so I'll have to get another...hopefully I can find one from JDM ASTAR that fits since I've had very good luck with their amber bulbs in my front running lights / turn signals and rear turn signals.
  3. StrobesNMore (SNM) Surface Star Hideaway LED, Blue - a birthday gift from my wife. I previously tried a similar hideaway from Abrams Manufacturing, but turns out they have a design flaw that causes issues when run steady-on. Ideally, I'd get a used Whelen, but I haven't had much luck finding the small, round, blue hideaways, and they also lack the lens found on the SNM version.
  4. Blue vinyl film - The SNM version of the "blue" hideaway is awfully white, with a strong blue overtone. I wanted a deeper, less washed out blue, so I added a few layers of blue vinyl film. I think I have 3 or 4 layers, and I may knock it down one layer. The more layers, the less bright, but even with the layers on there now they're plenty bright. (Pics to follow)
  5. Misc hardware - Small bolts & nuts to mount the hideaway LED to the clear lenses, aluminum flatbar and bolts & nuts to drop the new aux brake lights just below the stock turn signals, which in turn are mounted rearwards of stock position on my Hepco Becker Lock-It racks.
  6. Misc Wiring & Posi-Locks/Taps to hook it all up.
  7. Waterproof Switch - Wired inline and originally floating under the seat, but now mounted to the rear plastics just underneath the passenger handrail. Needed an easy way to turn them off if hassled by local LEO or when going out of state.
* 625 ILCS 5/12-208
625 ILCS 5/12-208 (a-1)
A motorcycle or an antique vehicle or an expanded-use antique vehicle, including an antique motorcycle, may display a blue light or lights of up to one inch in diameter as part of the vehicle's rear stop lamp or lamps.

625 ILCS 5/12-208 (g)
Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles may be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle that display a red or amber light, visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, that flashes and becomes steady only when the brake is actuated.

Additional Notes on my Aux Brake Lights

Incidentally, my primary and cheap aux brake lights -- Partsam Waterproof LEDs -- are mounted to my top case with aluminum angle & flatbar and misc hardware. The top is wired for low intensity tail light and high intensity flashing brake light, and the lower is wired for high-intensity steady-on brake light.

I over-think all this stuff, but as I said, I enjoy it. My goal with the whole aux brake light effort was to add aux brake lighting for:
  • brightness - more is better, generally
  • surface area - the small stock brake light really is tiny, and not very bright even with a quite bright LED bulb
  • configurable flashing - so it's not too annoying, but still eye-catching
  • off to steady-on - I find filling previously dark space with bright red light eye-catching
  • blue lights - because I can in IL! And it's seriously eye-catching. Has a side effect of many drivers thinking I'm a cop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures and how you set up your bike. That is an impressive setup, and I would hope you are plenty visible with those mods! Looks like I have a lot to think about if I want to install blue lights on mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My most important mod was expanding the perception of my bike. I noticed that at traffic circles I'd get respect on my ST1300, but was treated as a moped when I switched to a Vstrom. ON the outside of my handguards (facing traffic) and on the back of my GIVI bags I added 2 inches of super reflective yellow SOLAS tape. Without using any external energy the bike now looks twice as big, breaks up the "cool black" and gets me noticed. IMHO it's more effective than aux. LEDs which I also have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rick's lowering pegs, bar risers, V-Stream plus MRA screen, fork brace, top case, tank bag, throttle clamp, mirror extenders, foam grips, center stand, Givi crash bars. homemade highway pegs on my 2012.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts