StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 VStrom and it came with some mods and I've put a few on I have givi crash bars, givi skid plate, happy trail side cases, 16 tooth sprocket and I made my own luggage plate for the tail is there any must have mods for long distance travel and adv riding/commuting?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure where you live because nothing in your profile, regardless, heated grips in NY where I live I have found to be invaluable

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is a reoccurring question, but fun to answer.

Hyper-lite 3 way CA brake lights and signals
Rancho shock covers
Fork brace
Oxford heated grips
Foam grip covers
Digital led voltmeter
Eastern Beaver H4 Head light relay kit
$10 Aux LED spot lights (extra heatsink paste + sealant)
Mirror extenders
SH847 Regulator/Rectifier
Yoshimura Exhaust
Tutoro Chain Oiler

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,792 Posts
NOTHING is must have, everything is subjective. :) However I find my highway pegs to be almost must have, they make quite a difference in changing positions and giving the ole knees a break.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Center stand.
Fork brace (inexpensive).
Rear brake light LED flasher.
Replacement headlight LED bulbs (more for others to see you).

I should consider trying a sprocket myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Auxiliary circuits from distribution board, á la Eastern Beaver PC-8.
Ram mount for phone/GPS/bubble blower/etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first mod ( and by far the most effective )was ditching the standard windscreen and installing the adjustable Givi. Loved the bike from the start except for the useless stock windscreen

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unless you are under 150 lbs, replace the front fork springs with appropriate ones from Sonic or another vendor. Makes brake dive history and improves the ride. Also a chance to replace the nasty fish oil supposedly used by the factory.

Mark

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Depends on what you want. If you want performance, start taking things off. If you want a luggage travel bike, pile it on.

I'm the first choice, so not much help here. ;)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Watch out! TLDR

I think of mods in groups and prioritize groups in addition to individual mods: safety, comfort, convenience, preventive maintenance / defects / under-spec. I've included a few things I plan to add in future.

Safety

This is all stuff I think contributes in some significant-ish way to safety. None of it is a panacea, but I'm of the belief that every little bit helps.
  • Aux Driving / Fog Lights. For conspicuity's sake, and when mounted in a spread triangle along with the headlight to assist other drivers in gauging distance as I approach. I use a cheapo set from Amazon or eBay, with a dimmer since they don't have a beam cutoff, mounted to my Givi crash bars. If they break in a tipover, I'll get another cheapo set.
  • Aux Brake Light(s). The stock brake light, even with brighter LED bulbs, is pathetic. I perhaps have gone a bit overboard on this front (14" aux red brake light + red & blue aux brake lights which are legal in my state), but even just mounting a single, bright and / or temporarily flashing brake light I think is a huge improvement.
  • Daytime Running Light (DRL) Front Turn Signals. These are really just a nice to have since I mounted the fog lights, but they're cheap to do with LED bulbs and the Blinker Genie. From the front, I now have stock headlights, wide / low spread fog lights, and DRL turn signals.
  • Aftermarket Mirrors. Blind spot be gone! I use Aprilia Tuono mirrors after trying a pair of eBay knockoffs that were just about worthless (others have had better luck with cheapo eBay options, it seems). The Tuono mirrors are shorter (don't particularly need to see the sky and / or road), wider, and a bit more convex. With them adjusted just right, I can see directly behind me and all the way around up to where my peripheral vision picks up. I gather others use Adventuretech mirror extenders with the stock mirrors to good effect.
  • Gear. Helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. Really a separate subject, but I've seen plenty of people spend bundles on modding the bike, but wear crappy gear. In a way, this is really at the top of my list, but it's not directly on-topic, so moving on...
Comfort

Some of the stuff on this list is right up there with safety. If you're too uncomfortable, or uncomfortable in the wrong way, it easily can distract you and become a safety concern. Others are just nice to have because I'm...picky & particular.
  • Givi Airflow Windshield. Buffeting be gone! Well, mostly. I also love the adjustability. I'll remove the top half outright in the stinking hot & humid summer. And I'll adjust the height of the top half depending on weather, my mood, etc.
  • Seat Beads / Pad. I can't justify the high price of a Russell Day Long seat for my mostly local riding (though I had one on a previous bike I used for cross-country touring and it was amazing), so seat beads make a big difference for me. The cheapo seat pad really just protects the seat from the beads. And one of these days I'll add a sheepskin pad as an option. Had I known about the Sit N Fly at the time, I probably would've tried it first.
  • Lowered Footpegs. From richlandrick / adventuretech. I didn't think lowering the pegs just one inch would make much of a difference...but it did! I'm more comfortable for longer with the pegs lowered.
  • Heated Handgrips. I have Oxfords on mine. They're nice to have in cooler / cold weather and a must-have for my winter riding, along with the next three...
  • Handguard Frames. So I have something to which I may attach various handguards and keep mitts from blowing back onto the levers.
  • Handguards. I have Moose Racing Contour handguard frames. When it gets consistently cool, but not cold, I attach a set of plastic handguards. When it gets cold but not freezing, I add a pair of Moose Racing foam handguards (aka "elephant ears"). They're not guards so much as wind-blockers and do a great job. But when it gets really freezing, I take off the foamies and break out...
  • Handlebar Mitts. I previously used an $8 pair of Kolpin Geartector mitts, modified slightly to work with the mirror stems, until I recently stumbled across a better option at a stupid-cheap price (Watershed Storm Force Handlebar Covers). Hippo Hands are probably the most common option on this front, but my original cheapos worked OK, and the new cheapos are great.
  • Grab-On Grips. The foam is comfy, and my hands like the larger diameter. I have something else on my grips right now, since my last pair of GOG wore out, but I'll put a new set of GOG back on one of these days.
Convenience

All nice-to-have stuff, fro me and my particular needs. I use my Glee as my primary vehicle, so my list includes...
  • Top Box. Just bolted down with fender washers. Also serves as a mounting point for the aluminum angle / flatbar bracket I made to mount aux brake lights up high.
  • Side Racks / Cases. I frequently need more storage space than the top box, so I use these for groceries and such all the time. I have Hepco Becker Lock-It racks (thanks, Meathead!) and Pelican 2370 cases with Caribou Cases mounting hardware. The racks + cases are narrower than my handlebars, and the bulk of the racks can be removed with just 4 quarter-turn bolts. If I did it again, I'd go with cheaper mounting hardware, since I usually only remove the cases if I'm also removing the racks, and I could just do it all in one fell swoop with the bags permanently affixed to the racks.
  • Tank Case. I don't particularly like tank bags. So I mounted a tank case, instead: a Pelican 1150. Holds some small, handy stuff: Ipass for tolls, the glasses I'm not wearing (clear or sun), lint-free rag, backup earplugs, registration & insurance card, a copy of the relevant state code to show LEO that my "blue dot" brake lights are, in fact, legal (haven't had to break it out, yet, fortunately).
  • Over The Dash Ball Mount. From Adventuretech. Great for adding a phone-as-GPS as close to my line-of-sight as possible. If I did it again, I'd probably get the shelf + ball mount option.
  • Hard-mount Heated Gear Plug. Slightly more convenient than a dongle hanging out from under my seat, for plugging in my heated jacket liner.
  • Eastern Beaver PC-8 Fuse Panel. For easier and better wire management of my electrical add-ons.
  • Tool Tube. Might not store tools, as my kit fits ok under the seat. But might store rain gear to make space in my top / side cases, or a chain & lock for when I need to lock down my helmet or other gear more securely when I don't have space for it in the cases, etc.
Protection / Preventive Maintenance / Defects / Under-spec

This could be a potentially much bigger list, depending on one's perspective on the stock bike. For me, I limit it to just a few:
  • Givi Crash Bars. They've paid for themselves in 3 low or no-speed tipovers.
  • Weld86 Skid Plate. Probably don't need it, but picked it up at some point. If I did it again, I'd probably get a beefier option, if one at all.
  • Eastern Beaver Headlight Relays. The stock wiring just seems like a poor choice by Suzuki. The headlight / starter switch isn't guaranteed to fail, but this still seems like a good idea.
  • Tutoro Oiler. I do a decent job of remembering to lube my chain every fill-up or so. Even so, this one's next on my list.
  • Front fork springs. Per Mark above. This one's on my list when I change my fork oil.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gee, I thought of all the things I have added and when I ask myself what I could not live without it, comes down to two accessories. As I am a camper.
On the crash bars I added little bags off of Etsy. Nylon jobs with waterproof zippers. I can keep my Kindle and other USB charged devices there.
Then I installed a Dual USB port with a voltmeter on the right side of the cowling dash.
Thus I can keep my kindle and phone charged at all times while riding and know my battery status in the process.
I have modified almost everything else on the bike for comfort and safety but these two things make the most difference for me on long adventures.
My priorities are for safety first but also having a good life at the end of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a reoccurring question, but fun to answer.

Hyper-lite 3 way CA brake lights and signals
Rancho shock covers
Fork brace
Oxford heated grips
Foam grip covers
Digital led voltmeter
Eastern Beaver H4 Head light relay kit
$10 Aux LED spot lights (extra heatsink paste + sealant)
Mirror extenders
SH847 Regulator/Rectifier
Yoshimura Exhaust
Tutoro Chain Oiler

Do you have a link or pic of the '$10 Aux LED spot lights'?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like they are still available.

2PACK 12W LED Spot POD RACE LIGHTS Off Road Motorcycle Dirt Bike Fog Driving Work Lights 1200LM IP68 WATERPROOF, 24 Months Warranty

I have these exact lights installed on my 2015. They are a great deal for the price. Easy to install and work well. I modified the lenses by adding amber film. Nice and bright, not too large and look good on the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have these exact lights installed on my 2015. They are a great deal for the price. Easy to install and work well. I modified the lenses by adding amber film. Nice and bright, not too large and look good on the bike.
Do you have pics of the installation? I just picked these up for my 2016.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have the aux lights running all the time? Did you need to install a dimmer?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Do you have pics of the installation? I just picked these up for my 2016.
These light look very similar to the Mondomotos lights I installed on my bike. I used the adventure tech aux light bracket and also did a double layer of amber lens film to make more visible. Although there is a switch on the wiring harness I just keep it all tidy under the seat and leave these on all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts