StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was on a long road trip over the weekend and noticed on day one that my headlights were on/off intermittently. Couldn't figure out what the issue was and then on day two, they just wouldn't come on at all. Lows and high, neither. Fuses are fine and bulbs look ok. Checked the connection and bulbs are firmly connected. Someone suggested I check the starter switch. I pulled it apart today and it looked fine, but the switch assembly seemed to be enclosed and I didn't want to break anything more trying to pull it apart.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm not terribly handy and frankly, electrical issues freak me out!

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found some other threads and will be performing the "switch start maintenance" tomorrow. Hopefully it works!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Most likely it's the starter switch.

You need to work on getting the load off that switch, fitting relays is a good permanent fix or you could reduce the load some by fitting LED headlight globes.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The other possibility is burnt connectors. The ones down inside the faring and the H4's at the back of the headlights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opened the bike up today. It's not the starter switch, it's the connection behind the radiator, two prongs are fried, but I'm not sure what the next move is here. How do I fix this?

Sorry if this is a silly question! IMG_20200915_102229.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Cut the 2 wires and splice them together. There is no reason to ever disconnect that connector. If for some odd reason the harness needs to be replaced, worry about it then. Wire and splices can always be repaired pretty simply. Your other option is to replace the whole connector which is not for those who are not skilled in working those type of connectors. Sourcing the parts will also not be worth the effort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that really the solution?
Shoot, I am terrible at soldering... Hopefully I don't make this much, much worse

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Eastern Beaver may have the connectors as an alternate. Fair warning though you do also need the appropriate crimp tool and those can be very spendy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WAGO Lever-Nuts are a great option for splicing solid or stranded wires, you can remove and reattach the wire as many times as necessary, they make a few different types but the kind I use are UL listed, work with 12ga down to 24ga wire, and are rated for about 30a. I use them for temporary electronics prototyping but no reason not to use them for permanent connections, although I'd maybe stuff some dielectric grease in them to prevent water intrusion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts