StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would one of you fine people please describe or post a photo of the location of the fuel pump relay on a 2011 V Strom 650? My pump isn’t priming when I turn the key anymore and I need to troubleshoot.
Much thanks in advance for your time. Xoxo

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Start with double checking the kill switch and the dashboard indicates the transmission is in neutral.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It is the black relay behind the negative terminal of the battery. Sometimes a quick and easy fix is to pull it and bang it on the ground a bit (but not too rough) and try again. If that works it should be replaced. However, there are a lot of interlocks/switches that can stop the fuel pump from priming. You'll need to use a voltmeter and wiring diagram to troubleshoot. The DL650A K7 wiring diagram should be the same as your L1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Will check this weekend.

It is the black relay behind the negative terminal of the battery. Sometimes a quick and easy fix is to pull it and bang it on the ground a bit (but not too rough) and try again. If that works it should be replaced. However, there are a lot of interlocks/switches that can stop the fuel pump from priming. You'll need to use a voltmeter and wiring diagram to troubleshoot. The DL650A K7 wiring diagram should be the same as your L1.

View attachment 269024

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the relay and gave it a couple taps to no effect. Then discovered that the fuel pump fuse was burned out so I inserted the spare and turned the key. New fuse burned out immediately. I also have a problem where my right turn signal intermittently goes out and the instrumentation cluster dims when I try to activate it. Thinking I have a short...

·
Registered
821 Posts
There is a giant connector to the left of the bike near the top of the radiator with a black rubber cover that feeds the instrument panel. It is a known failure point especially if you do not have a headlight relay. I'd start by checking that to see if it is fried.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Try wiring a headlight bulb to the fuse terminals. When a short occurs, it will light the bulb instead of blowing the fuse. You can push the wiring around and see what area might be causing the problem. Hopefully, you can find a spot where pushing the harness around will cause the light to go on and off
This tip is from post #2 in Blowing fuses intermittently. (main and fuel)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
A fuse can also blow from a overload & a poor connection can cause that overload, as the volts drop the amps go up.

Another test is lift your tank, disconnect the wires to the fuel pump and see if the fuse still lets go, that will eliminate the pump as the problem.

The globe in place of a fuse test is not perfect on a good system, EG; if you were testing a lighting circuit the power wire can find a earth through the bikes light globe giving a false indication of a grounded wire, with the globe removed the light test would work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts