StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2012 VStrom 650 Adventure. I thought it would be a smaller lighter alternative to my big GSA for local roads and light dirt work. Let me just say I LOVE THIS BIKE! It's a great machine that appeals to me for many reasons - not least of which are:

1) Great Value
2) Great reliability (assuming I have the same experience as MANY who have
gone before me)
3) Great Fuel Economy
4) Well balanced and agile

I read a review that said one of the Strom's best qualities is that it disappears beneath you allowing you to focus on the ride. I don't know that it disappears but it is so light, well balanced and easy to ride that you can't help but enjoy it for all that it is and, in many respects, all that it is not.

I took my GSA to the dealer to sell on consignment today. I will miss the big bike for sure. However, for my needs the Strom does 95% of what the GSA would do (the only thing I'll miss is the two-up capacity of the BMW but my wife doesn't ride much with me anyhow).

For the record I'm not trying to start a fight or a BMW bashing. I'm just saying that I like the Strom so much more than I thought I would and for me it is better (or at least as good) for the things I need it to do than my big Beemer. :hurray:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the club. Former K1200GT rider here. There are many other former BMW riders here also. :thumbup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another recent convert here! Came over from the Connie camp. Tried to get a Wee in 2005 but the dealer wouldn't order any!:confused:

Ended up with an 05 Connie. 7 years later got bored on a weekend went for a ride and came home with a Wee contract. Can't beat 0% for 60 months!

I think I am in love! The Connie was my dual sport after my Royal Star Venture, but wow. Wish I had gotten the Wee back then. Much better manners in the dirt than the Connie:thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Me too. I sold my 1200gs a couple of months ago, and I'll never look back. This new Vstrom could quite possbly be ,like one of my friends said, "the best motorcycle ever made." (if that's even remotely possible.)

·
Registered
617 Posts
My plan was to buy a R1200GSA as my graduation present to myself a couple of years ago, and instead, bought a Vstrom. Now that I have the Vstrom, I am VERY glad I did not buy the BMW, because it would have been far too heavy for the type of riding I do. I have ridden the big R1200 and I think it's a great bike, but damn that thing is heavy!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I sold my R1150GSA in April and bought a Wee Adventure. The GS was a good ride, but so heavy and poor mileage (38-39). I will say that in 3 seasons and 32K miles, it never let me down. But the Wee is so much easier to maneuver, and 15-25mpg more is nothing to sneeze at with gas prices still near $3.81 here. The local BMW club has seen many riders sell their Beemers and migrate to VStroms. It's got to be cutting into their sales.

Went from this:

To this:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I came from a Connie as well, had it for 7 years, 03 put 60K on her, I really like the Wee, and it does 95% of what I need, most of my rides are 300-350 to get to Western VA and WV, the Connie I would have to push in the turns , the Wee I just look into turn and she's going there, but I still miss my Connie, sold her a month after buying the Wee, do I have a need for the Connie No.

Another recent convert here! Came over from the Connie camp. Tried to get a Wee in 2005 but the dealer wouldn't order any!:confused:

Ended up with an 05 Connie. 7 years later got bored on a weekend went for a ride and came home with a Wee contract. Can't beat 0% for 60 months!

I think I am in love! The Connie was my dual sport after my Royal Star Venture, but wow. Wish I had gotten the Wee back then. Much better manners in the dirt than the Connie:thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the welcome posts. Looks like a great group. I like to hear what other people were riding before the Wee. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I came from a Connie as well, had it for 7 years, 03 put 60K on her, I really like the Wee, and it does 95% of what I need, most of my rides are 300-350 to get to Western VA and WV, the Connie I would have to push in the turns , the Wee I just look into turn and she's going there, but I still miss my Connie, sold her a month after buying the Wee, do I have a need for the Connie No.
Heh Tom! Haven't seen you since camping with Dawgwhat up northwest of you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also had a Connie (06'). It was a nice, reliable bike but had several things that bothered me after a while. Poor selection of available tires, too soft suspension and turbulence from the stock windscreen to name a few. One test ride on the new wee was all it took for me to sign some papers. :mrgreen:

Before that I had an 01' Honda VFR 800. Awesome bike! Great sound, superb handling and could stop on a dime. I was a fool for selling it as I wish I had it back as a second bike now. The problem was that it was a 3hr bike for me. I didn't like putting weight on the handle bars all the time.

The wee really is a perfect all around bike. I find it very confortable and has all the power I need. I almost bought one back in 04' but couldn't justify the money back then.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 VStrom 650 Adventure. I thought it would be a smaller lighter alternative to my big GSA for local roads and light dirt work. Let me just say I LOVE THIS BIKE! It's a great machine that appeals to me for many reasons - not least of which are:

1) Great Value
2) Great reliability (assuming I have the same experience as MANY who have
gone before me)
3) Great Fuel Economy
4) Well balanced and agile

I read a review that said one of the Strom's best qualities is that it disappears beneath you allowing you to focus on the ride. I don't know that it disappears but it is so light, well balanced and easy to ride that you can't help but enjoy it for all that it is and, in many respects, all that it is not.

I took my GSA to the dealer to sell on consignment today. I will miss the big bike for sure. However, for my needs the Strom does 95% of what the GSA would do (the only thing I'll miss is the two-up capacity of the BMW but my wife doesn't ride much with me anyhow).

For the record I'm not trying to start a fight or a BMW bashing. I'm just saying that I like the Strom so much more than I thought I would and for me it is better (or at least as good) for the things I need it to do than my big Beemer. :hurray:
Ok, I'll bite- I don't look at your comment as bashing at all, you have every right to express your thoughts on this forum as all members do.

I own both the 2011 BMW GSA and a 2012 Wee and will keep both in my stable for now, why not? The 12 Wee is fine for commuting and day rides. Its a fun light bike, very nimble and just a blast to ride. But for extended long haul touring...it's the R1200 ADV hands down. The additional weight and hp of the BMW R1200 Adventure is important to me. I don't believe I could log a 750 mile day on the Wee as comfortable as I can on the Bimmer. I know I can roll some very high miles on the R1200, I have done it. The comfort level and ergos of the BMW far surpass the Wee in all long haul categories for me. I am 6'5" and the ergs on the ADV are dialed in. Not to mention the beef of the 110 hp of the BMW Adventure that is quite welcome when loaded up for a long trip just..... JMHO. Hardly a comparison between the two bikes as they are much different to say the least. I average 43 mpg when riding......A side note,

Trust your instincts:mrgreen: you will miss the big ADV bike...:yes nod: having said that;

Ride what you like and like what you ride! As long as your enjoying two wheels who cares! Not bashing the Wee at all here just my thoughts as the owner of both bikes! Cheer!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

1VStromNC:

Completely agree that the GSA is a much better distance platform. Especially for someone 6'5" tall. That said, I can still comfortably (relative measure) ride distances on the Wee. Unfortunately, I won't be logging enough 500+ mile days in the near term to justify the GSA as an addition to the Wee for those rare occasions. If I find myself logging enough time on the super slab I'll add a K1600GTL to the mix which (IMHO) is a much better platform than the GSA or Wee for big mile munching.

Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
1VStromNC:

Completely agree that the GSA is a much better distance platform. Especially for someone 6'5" tall. That said, I can still comfortably (relative measure) ride distances on the Wee. Unfortunately, I won't be logging enough 500+ mile days in the near term to justify the GSA as an addition to the Wee for those rare occasions. If I find myself logging enough time on the super slab I'll add a K1600GTL to the mix which (IMHO) is a much better platform than the GSA or Wee for big mile munching.

Cheers
Subjective topic; I find the low seating position on the 1600 not comfortable at all being tall. And I actually gave the 1600 some thought before picking up my second R1200 Adv. I did not even bother test riding the GTL. And have offered by two dealers a test ride....just no interest in the sweet 16. The Ergos on the Adv were a lock for me.

The Adv and the Wee, the best of both worlds for the riding my wife and I do. Two up the Adv is it for sure. I have done 700 mile days on the Adv...ain't happening on the Wee for me.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I actually find my Wee more comfortable for long-distance riding than my Goldwing. But I do very little freeway riding, long distance for me is 300-500 mile days riding through mountain passes here in California. The only time I take the 'wing is two-up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I actually find my Wee more comfortable for long-distance riding than my Goldwing. But I do very little freeway riding, long distance for me is 300-500 mile days riding through mountain passes here in California. The only time I take the 'wing is two-up.

Wow! Very Interesting...I have owned three Wings and cannot even begin to compare the Wing to the Wee. Not even close for me..Or I the same class of bike. The Wing is a great bike and pure "Road Sofa". An 800 mile day on the Wing is a stroll. Not so on the Wee.

But hey, everyone has there thoughts.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Left 1150 GS adv for wee strom also.

I have only had it a week. I never do more than 750 miles in a day, and haven't done one on the Strom yet. Did do 350 last Saturday and I don't think it beat me up any worse than the Beemer. I didn't seem like it worked too hard either.

I guess it would be hard to argue that it's as good of a distance bike as the 1150 though.

The chain maintenance is a little more involved than I thought. I hadn't had a bike with a chain in 25 years, and I don't recall doing much with them. But I guess that was more out of neglect.

So far very happy. Smooth, agile, and good mileage. Ohh, and fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts