StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the seat last night to check on some of the stuff I've got stored in there. Both of the rectangular bumpers on the right side have gone missing. So I removed the other two to level the ride until I get replacements.
Is this a common lost item?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had one fall off the first time I took my seat off. Something to keep an eye on I guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They are a little tricky to put in. Make sure the rubber head is *really* in all the way around perimeter.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've never had one come off but others have. If it ever happens, I'll add a little contact cement.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep, same problem here. I just keep an eye on them now.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Took off the seat last night to check on some of the stuff I've got stored in there. Both of the rectangular bumpers on the right side have gone missing. So I removed the other two to level the ride until I get replacements.
What's a 'rectangular bumper'? Do you have a photo of the left ones?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I took mine off the first week I had the bike but they were there after 3 years and 8,000 miles.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
LOL that's the puppy! When I bought my used 2005 DL650 In December, I found one of those in the rear panel area and couldn't figure out what it was for! I put it aside, planned to join Stromtrooper so I could post a picture of it and ask what it was for, and finally had my eureka moment when I looked under the seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had one fall off, recovered it, and put it back with authority a couple years ago. Also persuaded the remaining ones to stay put. They were all still there when I got my Sargent seat a few months ago.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mine come off and I just poke 'em back on. I have laced my bead rider seat cover through those holes using shoe laces in five different places to secure the cover while riding. Pretty simple and I just watch them when I take the seat off to make sure they are in place before replacing the seat.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
They only don't come off when you try to remove them. I lowered a spare seat for my wife and daughter to ride my DL, it was annoyingly difficult to pull those little rubber nipples out of the seat pan. Once removed, they were hard to keep in. When replacing them, it helps to forcibly guide them in with a small flat screwdriver, or similar tool. Then. you'll want to find some miracle glue that will adhere to both the rubber bumper and the slick plastic of the seat pan.

I eventually gave up and since I wanted the seat lower anyways, I found some self-adhesive foam pads at Lowe's where they sell furniture gliders which have, so far, remained in place.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ones I pulled off showed some kind of reddish lubricant around the hole. The two remaining bumpers were easy to pull off as they were also just barely hanging on. I am used to losing rubber pieces as most of the covers on the Goldwing are held in place with rubber grommets that often get pushed through. I've learned a number of tricks to keep those in place. Similar problems just a different bike. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
166 Posts
2006 dl650k6

Stock seat was retired after 5-years and 87,000 + change miles. The seat cover started to dry-rot, but all the frame bumpers are still present.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I took off the chair to see what this piece is and to verify it is still there.
It was there alright, but another round rubber bumper fell - I found it in stuck between in the right side cover..
So it is kind of odd for a new bike to loose rubber bumpers so easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts