StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,

New in the bike business (apologies for terms and english that i am going to us) so the other day I took the back wheel (leaked, took it to tyre shop to get fixed) of.. and before I could really see how things fit, the spacers etc fall out .....
now if I put the wheel back and torque it, the rear wheel does not run freely .. actually very difficult.. the only place i think i could have gone wrong and i tried both sides, but just want to make sure I put in the correct way around .. to me it feels if fits both ways...but obviously one of them must be wrong ..here ipick form tjhe spacer, and fit the oneway and the other...which is correct, please?
Please help I think I have done this now over 10 times
First pic the spacer and where it should fit.
the next two is the two ways I had it in (don't feel much of difference in turning the wheel..just want to make sure which way it must fit, please
PS. Have the bike less than a year (first bike).. and see that thumb .. was caught in the chain馃槉

Attachments

Registered
the other day I took the back wheel (leaked, took it to tyre shop to get fixed) of.. and before I could really see how things fit, the spacers etc fall out .....
now if I put the wheel back and torque it, the rear wheel does not run freely .. actually very difficult..
Thys -- there's an exploded parts diagram at 2008 Suzuki V-Strom (DL1000) REAR WHEEL | Ron Ayers. I think you have a part or two in the wrong order. On the diagram check part #8 and #9 against how you have them on your bike.

Premium Member
That spacer in your hand goes by between the wheel and sprocket hub You need to pull the sprocket hub out of the cush rubbers and install the spacer

Registered
Hi guys .. yip in meantime got the pic of the parts and realized ...very stupid of me...very embarrassing... I wanted to fit no 8 outside...damn.....

Thanx a million...
I hate to tell you this, but you need to keep an eye on the 3 bearings in the rear wheel now. By torquing the axle down wrong, you have put a huge lateral force on one or more of the bearings and then rotated them in that condition. You are probably going to be OK, but for safety sake, watch the rear wheel for a few thousand miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the warning STCorndog ..just my luck it will happen to me... done about 650km could notpickup any funny stuff thus far....

Registered
The other thing to watch is the torque value. The manual calls for a very high value and loads of people are reporting galled rear axles because of that - especially if you have a catellated nut/cotter pin combo instead of the proper fuji locknut. Find the Rear Axle Galled thread, apply anti-seize and reduce the torque value according to the wisdom in that thread.

Registered
Thanx for the warning STCorndog ..just my luck it will happen to me... done about 650km could notpickup any funny stuff thus far....
Your welcome and you are not the first to have done this. Just grab the wheel at 12-6 locations and 3-9 and try to rock it looking for play. Then spin wheel. If all seems ok ride that puppy until the tire wears out, then check the bearings when you remove the wheel again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts