StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, a newbee here. My apologies if this is a question that has been asked before, as i am certain it has. What have you been happy with when upgrading the lights on your bike?

I ride home from work at some very early morning hours, sometimes it's 2:00 am, I want better lighting for night highway driving, and better visibility of me to others.

The market is flooded with replacement bulbs at all price points, it's very confusing, and aftermarket lights are certainly a option, but there are so many it's hard to tell who is being truthful. Denali has some very nice lights at very high prices, but they actually show you in the video how the lights perform.

I don't mind paying for good stuff, I hate buying something and finding out it's crap.

I also wonder if the charging system can handle the increased power draw when adding lights?

Thank you in advance for your time if you relpy, I appreciate that.

· Premium Member
3,448 Posts
You don't have your model listed, but even the early 650s have about 125 extra watts. Later model added more.
Most LED bulbs in the headlights lower wattage use(So more available) . My 05 650 early on ran 2 55W fog lights on separate switches. This was so I could turn 1 or both off for heated grips or vest. As LED's became available I switched to them in both the headlights and replaced the fogs with 10W LEDs. This allowed me to run most all accessory's at once. A voltage meter was also added to keep track of any lowering of the battery.
On the 2018 1000 that replaced the 650 the headlight again were swapped with LED's. The fogs now in use are 20W each and are always on (Safety daytime and extra light for night). With these I can have those on and run both my heated grips and full heated jacket no problem.
There are many excellent light out there for affordable prices. Adventure Tech(Member here) has mounts and lights that fit most budgets.

· Registered
2008 DL650, 2006 DL650 (son's), 3x1981 C70 Super Cub
22 Posts
I replaced one stock bulb with an 18W LED bulb in both our 06 and 08 650's. It was done for more wattage to hook up heated gear. I also put in two LED brake bulbs and also changed out the license plate bulb to LED. A voltmeter, heated grips and USB charger have finished the electrification. The extra 50 watts has been helpful. One up-side to the mixed LED front is incandescent shines differently than LED's, and I get the best of both worlds. You could put a brighter LED than I did, but I did it for lower wattage.

· Registered
2007 v-strom 650
57 Posts
I put LED bulbs in my headlights and they really have great output. Makes me feel much safer riding in the dark. I bought these ones, but have no comparison to any others (except for the halogen bulbs that were in there before then) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I also replaced all other bulbs with LED. They are also brighter, but it's not as noticeable as the difference in the headlights. And finally I have old, high quality accessory halogen lights, but compared to the bright LED bulbs they contribute almost nothing to my lighting. So I'm about to replace these with cheap, but much brighter LED accessory lights. I haven't put them on yet, but hooked them up to see brightness and lighting pattern and they are bright. They were recommended by someone else on here https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B12TMMMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

· Registered
6,152 Posts
If you add headlight relays to take the pressure off the starter button you will also get more power to the headlights.

· Registered
3,819 Posts
You want to study this thread: LED Headlights - FINALLY a solution that REALLY works.

Plus add a pair of cheap auxiliary lights that you can easily turn on/ off since they will be blinding BUT they will be bright at night.

Certainly add a relay headlight kit, even with LED H4 bulbs to protect your wiring connectors and the starter switch (headlight current goes through that switch!). Make your own or get it here for example: H4 Kits

And most definitely install a V meter to monitor your charging system. Vstroms are pretty bullet proof but they do have stators crap put. A V meter will allow you to know something is not quite right before it strands you somewhere with a depleted battery.

· Registered
245 Posts

· Registered
2007 v-strom 650
57 Posts
Neither of these links worked for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Does this work?
If not, search for "BEAMTECH H4 LED Bulb, S1 Series 10000LM 50W CSP Chips Conversion Kit Fanless Cool White All in One Plug N Play Halogen Replacement Pack of 2" on Amazon.

The other one is "CIIHON Motorcycle LED Driving Lights High Low Beam Fog light for Motorcycle Dual Color 6000K White 3000K Yellow 60W LED Motorcycle Spot Lights for Truck, ATV, SUV, Golf Cart 2 PCS"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts