Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

New guy here and have been lurking for two weeks. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2009 Wee with 6000 miles. Well taken care of.

I believe the crash bars are Givi Tn532 based on my Google search (picture attached). Can anyone recommend a compatible skid plate for this bike and bars?
Prefer black if possible.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Suggesting a skid plate brand is a difficult as each has a different idea from what they want in a sump guard / skid plate. Light off-road and / or tared road riding, I suggest a Hyde skid plate. Besides engine hugging, it does not seam to amplify the engine noises as much as the metal skid plates... and it's black. Then there are the metal ones of varying gauge of metal, aka light weight and heavy duty. Most heavy duty, one can place a jack under the skid plate to lift the front end. The down side is, that most skid plates have to be removed to do an oil change.
Decide what you are looking for in a skid plate, so that you understand what your search range would be. Use the site's search function for more info on sump guards / skid plates.
As far as installation / connecting of the skid plates to the Givi bars, an adapter of sorts can be fabricated similar to that as illustrated: Roland - Fixation du sabot alu Suzuki (ou SW-Motech) sur les crashbar Givi.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Gert

Thanks for providing the details. I spent quite a bit of time reviewing the different options for my set up and decided on an Ebay Aluminum SkidPlate V-strom DL650 04-11 Vstrom Mud Guard Fender Engine Guard...made in Italy. Pretty certain I saw several bikes on this forum with the plate.

Cost $130 with $50 shipping to the US (USD)

Installation was easy since I put on rear spools and used a pit jack. Installed the rear "U" shaped bracket and then the front u-bolts around my GIVI engine guards. No instructions but it is pretty self explanatory. Total time was about 30 minutes. Read some threads on vibrations being an issue with some of the skid plates. I installed rubber dampeners at the bolt points. Pretty easy DIY.

150 mile run yesterday and no issues. I'm not certain I can post a link from Ebay here but a simple Google search with the words above will get someone there.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts