StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quote from another list. This is the first I've heard of this. Probably a fluke.

On Saturday while trying to adjust the chain on a 2009 Wee with 2800 miles I could not get the nut to turn past 3/4 of a turn loose.

I tried to retighten and it would not do that either.
I rode it down to the dealer where I had purchased it and explained the situation. They could not get it to turn with out a very long breaker bar and working the nut back and forth, loose then tight then loose again to get the nut off. When it came off, the threads at the base of the axel against the swing arm were screwed up really bad. Now I have never had the nut off, no reason, and only loosened it for chain adjustments and always retorqued to 70 lbs with a beam type torque wrench. When they had gotten it off and replaced the axel and nut they torqued it to specs. When I got home I used my torque wrench to see if it was off but at 70 lbs it didn't even try to turn the nut so I'm feeling pretty sure I didn't over tighten by mistake previously. Even though they treated it as warranty I'm pretty concerned that this axel screwed up so easily from standard chain adjustment procedures. end quote

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My reply on that other list was:

It's not uncommon for the rear axle nut and axle to gall. There have been
many reports of this problem. What I do is apply anti seize to the threads
and torque to 58lb-ft instead of 72.5lb-ft to make up for the lubrication
effect of the anti-seize. A lubricated thread is commonly torqued to 80% of
a dry thread. Do that and you will never have the problem again. Leave it
dry and it can happen again. Stainless steel on stainless steel loves to
cold weld together under pressure.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was aware of the problem on earlier models with the cotter pinned nut. I thought one of the factors leading to the thread loss was the few number of threads on the pinned nut. This was the first I heard of the problem on the new wider nut.
I use the Dual Star nut on my 2004 with anti seize and torqued to 55 ft lbs. This coupled with crossed fingers on both hands has worked , so far.

·
38,048 Posts
That is the first time I've heard of a 2009 doing it.

·
38,048 Posts
Most spark plug threads are coated nowadays and anti seize is contra indicated for those. Check the manufacturer's instructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts