StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined these forums so first let me say hello to everybody, I'm really glad to be here! I haven't yet purchased my DL650 just yet, and wanted to get some input before I do.

Basically I found this Craigslist ad: Must Sell! Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle - $4000 FIRM!, and before you all tell me not to buy anything found on Craigslist this is a reputable seller.

Okay, so this bike has about 15k miles on it, is a 2009 with one owner and he's asking $4k for it. At that price he said he'd be replacing the battery, not because it's bad, but just because it's the original battery. I got him down to $3,800 at which price we agreed that I'd replace the battery.

How long can I expect this bike to run (assuming regular oil changes and a daily city commute) before I have to do any major repairs? Is there anything in particular I should look for when I see the bike in person?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas/advice you care to offer. Can't wait to get into a Wee Strom! :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
It isn't even broke in yet. Does it have ABS? I have a 2009 I bought 2 years ago. Love the bike. So much my poor Tiger doesn't get much exercise anymore. The price seems good. Make sure the seller has a Title in hand.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
the title throws me off, you don't usually see MUST SELL and FIRM together.. those things just don't go together!

It's hard to say if it is a good deal or not as that varies so much by region. For example I hunted all over for my bike, which I bought in the fall, a time when the value is low here because it's winter coming up and people dont want to pay to winterize, insure and store it all winter. Mine is a 2005 and had a center stand, side cases, engine guards, bark busters and a new rear tire. Mint condition with 24k miles. I paid $4250. Based on that it's a fantastic deal, but I am in another area and country then you are.

I would compare it to a brand new one, how much more will it cost you? is the price difference worth going to a bike that's 5 years old and has no warranty.

I'd tell him you can only come up with $3500 and to let you know if he will take it, can't hurt to try!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
also check for liens and that it has a mechanics certificate to be put on the road.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Just joined these forums so first let me say hello to everybody, I'm really glad to be here! I haven't yet purchased my DL650 just yet, and wanted to get some input before I do.

Basically I found this Craigslist ad: Must Sell! Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle - $4000 FIRM!, and before you all tell me not to buy anything found on Craigslist this is a reputable seller.

Okay, so this bike has about 15k miles on it, is a 2009 with one owner and he's asking $4k for it. At that price he said he'd be replacing the battery, not because it's bad, but just because it's the original battery. I got him down to $3,800 at which price we agreed that I'd replace the battery.

How long can I expect this bike to run (assuming regular oil changes and a daily city commute) before I have to do any major repairs? Is there anything in particular I should look for when I see the bike in person?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas/advice you care to offer. Can't wait to get into a Wee Strom! :thumbup:
The mileage is no worry at all. I got mine (2004 Wee) with 10k and it has now 26k. You'll likely need a chain and sprockets at about 20k and tires depending on what they look like now. Also there is a scheduled 15k valve check (I think), check for that and the cost, if you don't do your own maintenance.

Top box is great. Was one of the first items I put on. There are plenty of other goddies you can/ may want to add, depending on your intended use.

Make sure the seller's story pans out, that it's not wrecked (check the title), why he is selling it, ... etc. The usual things to check and ask when buying used. Mine was a rebuilt salvage and I had no issues with it. If he took care of it, no worries.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
At 15k its due for a valve inspection and adjustment (if needed). I assume he hasn't done it so figure on that unless you want to skip it as many do (if you feel lucky).
Otherwise look for crash damage, check out the chain and sprockets, ask about his maintenance habits as far as oil changes and such go.
At those miles it should be a solid bike. Whatever else one might say, they are built pretty tough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys this is great information thanks! I don't know if it has ABS Matts-Strom, but I will find out. Also good advice about the seller having the title in hand. I'll be sure to ask that question before I go meet the guy.

That's a good thought tenny80...those don't seem to fit do they in the title. Seller says he's trying to pay down some debt (good for him I say) so that's why he's selling. Great to know you started at 24k miles as 15k sounds great now =)

blaustrom I will look up the scheduled maintenance for these bikes, and ask the seller if he's done (or had done) the valve check you're talking about. Also very good to know I'll probably need to be changing my chain and sprockets at around 20k I'll be factoring that in as well.

Good to know randyo!

Joe S. sounds like I'll be asking the seller about that valve indpection/adjustment for sure. Also I'll be sure to look for crash damage, at the chain and sprockets and ask about his maintenance habits. So far he's said that he does all the scheduled oil changes.

Again guys this is awesome information, and much appreciated! :hurray:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Basically I found this Craigslist ad: Must Sell! Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle - $4000 FIRM! and before you all tell me not to buy anything found on Craigslist this is a reputable seller.

Okay, so this bike has about 15k miles on it, is a 2009 with one owner and he's asking $4k for it.
That'd be a good buy here (where all 2009s have ABS), assuming all else is fine.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I do make judgment about looking around at the guys other stuff and property

If his stuff/house is neat then I Assume the bike has been taken care of too so 15K no problem

Also in modern USA a lot of people are hurting and I would not be surprised to hear some one NEEDS the money back out of the bike

·
Registered
182 Posts
J... and before you all tell me not to buy anything found on Craigslist this is a reputable seller.
I think craigslist is a perfectly good place to buy and sell things. Heck, that's where I bought (and selling) my DL650, bought and sold my SV650, bought and sold wife's F650GS, sold my E39 BMW, and bought our Mazda5 and my Miata. Buying something off there is no different from buying off a forum, in the end it's your responsibility to know what you're buying, check it out yourself, and verify all the seller's claims.

I'm selling mine with 44K miles, and it runs just as good (if not better) than the day I bought it with 9K miles. The Strom is pretty much bulletproof, just replace the wear and tear items, and it'll keep eating up the miles.

At 15K miles, it'll need:
- valve clearance checked. I changed spark plugs at 30K, but the original ones still looked brand new
- new chain within about 5K miles (assuming it's the original chain and was lubed regularly)
- Hard to tell by the pictures, but the tires still look ok, I'm guessing they've been replaced, but that's something to check
- Air filter
- Take a peek at the brake pads, should be ok with that mileage, but you never know

EDIT: Total brainfart... DL650 is a 6 speed... no idea what I was thinking, maybe riding my wife's F650GS recently threw me off. Goes to show how little my strom is being used now. :bom_dunce2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Uh, you may want to check again.....my 2011 has all six of them.
Thanks, Rick... total brainfart on my part. Friends don't let friends post during work hours (apparently). :bom_freak:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think that's a good price and the mileage should not be a problem at all. As others have mentioned it should have some maintenance done and items replaced during the next few thousand miles. The valve check is the biggest job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2009 DL650 with ABS and it has 25k on it. The bike runs like new and have had no issues. As others have said you will need to replace the chain and sprockets soon which is no big deal. I would jump on that bike for the price if it is clean and hasn't been wrecked!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If the seller is the original owner, you can write down the VIN and take that number to a Suzuki dealer to run through the Suzuki data base to see what if any maintenance checks have been done, or if it's been in to have any repairs for damage done. Just part of making sure it's in good mechanical condition. Otherwise, it's just being broken in at 15,000 miles.

Oh, and one thing to remember about the price; prices can vary all over the country, depending on what part of the country you're in. Prices in the western U.S. seem to be higher than in the eastern part of the country, and you're less likely to find dealers in the west that are willing to make deals. It's strictly regional. But his price seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think that would be a good price, especially if it's an ABS model. 15,000 miles is nothing if it was maintained. Give it a good visual inspection, look at the chain and sprockets, check for oil on the fork tubes above the seal, give the fairing a shake(the 2 mounting bolts are known to loosen). As other posters have stated, find out if the valves,plugs and air filter have been checked. If they are due, and you want the dealer to service it, figure around 300 bucks, give or take.

Welcome to our world. They are great motorcycles :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts