StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I would like your opinions. I found a dealer in Michigan that has a brand new 09 sliver V Strom. He offered it to me for $7499 OTD and if I buy it this month he will throw in a three year extended warranty. Is this a good deal? I can find some nice used ones but none of them are very close. My biggest fear is not liking it after I buy it. (I have not been able to find one to ride)

Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's a fair out the door price for an ABS model in my opinion. Is it ABS? Not a smoking deal but then again the ABS models are hard to find new. The 3 year warranty is not worth much since these bikes are so reliable, the likelihood of needing it is remote. I'd rather get a free center stand or discounted factory luggage or something thrown in instead of a warranty on this bike. I wouldn't worry too much about not liking it...if you like to ride, you'll enjoy the Wee. There is a strong resale market so worst case scenario it turns out the be the wrong choice for you, post it up here and you'll sell it for a small loss.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, however it is a non ABS.......so not a good deal?

Good thought on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
No ABS = No Deal at that price. I also agree that 3 year warranty is not needed on this bike. Mine is 3 1/2 years old with 40K+ miles and has not needed anything other than normal maintenance, and there are many others out here with the same story.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Without ABS, I'd offer him $7k OTD and tell him he can keep the warranty. Or take it at his price without the warranty but with factory bags, or with a center stand and a gel seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without ABS, I'd offer him $7k OTD and tell him he can keep the warranty.
I was thinking about what to offer him. He said the warranty was worth $600-$700 so he should jump on $7000. Which is a fair deal, not a killer deal. Suzuki not making any bikes last year didn't help the consumer with pricing.

It's October in Michigan so if he could easily end up with this bike all winter.

On a side note the told me that Suzuki lost 350 dealers from its network in 09.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also keep in mind there's always gonna be someone in a forum that tells you that you paid too much. Get the bike and ride it! You won't remember a couple hundred bucks but you will remember the next 4 weeks of riding.

I bought my '09 without ABS used with 800 miles on it for $5900 including Givi bags/fork brace/Madstad/extended warranty. I thought that was a smoking deal but then again I had to spend the better part of the day driving to Palm Springs to pick it up, and I didn't get to enjoy that new bike smell like you will. That was 6 months and 4,000 miles ago :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also keep in mind there's always gonna be someone in a forum that tells you that you paid too much. Get the bike and ride it! You won't remember a couple hundred bucks but you will remember the next 4 weeks of riding.

I bought my '09 without ABS used with 800 miles on it for $5900 including Givi bags/fork brace/Madstad/extended warranty. I thought that was a smoking deal but then again I had to spend the better part of the day driving to Palm Springs to pick it up, and I didn't get to enjoy that new bike smell like you will. That was 6 months and 4,000 miles ago :)
That does sound like a smoking deal. But like you said you did have to invest a day of your time and some travel expense. From what I am sensing these bikes are more common is the western U.S. and east cost. I have been riding sport liter bikes for the last five years so I am expecting a big change, but change is good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
MSRP On 09 DL650 non/ABS is $7,499. Don't let them kid you with the warranty. Giving away a warranty plan doesn't cost them anything until the bike needs to be repaired. They're gambling on it not breaking down. Not that big of a gamble.

You will pay MSRP on a bike if you are financing and have not the best of credit. It's a great bike, if that's the best you can do, do it. Many folks on the forum buy motorcycles with cash like blue-collar workers buy cell phones. It's an upscale crowd around here. If that is you, you can afford to negotiate on the price and you should.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think I did fairly well getting mine -zero miles- for $6299 + set up fee (he wouldn't budge). I did get a 4-year extended warranty. Don't care if this bike is considered bullet proof. I've seen and heard enough stories about weird things happening to new bikes (various makes and models, incl. the Wee) that did not get the ext. warranty and had to pay out the nose. I won't miss the few hundred if something does go wrong. I won't miss the few hundred if nothing ever goes wrong.

I only had to drive 50 miles to get mine. Gee, I wonder why it took 150 miles to get back home? ;-) The ride home thru the mountains with the new smell was awesome! lol

:thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MSRP On 09 DL650 non/ABS is $7,499. Don't let them kid you with the warranty. Giving away a warranty plan doesn't cost them anything until the bike needs to be repaired. They're gambling on it not breaking down. Not that big of a gamble.

You will pay MSRP on a bike if you are financing and have not the best of credit. It's a great bike, if that's the best you can do, do it. Many folks on the forum buy motorcycles with cash like blue-collar workers buy cell phones. It's an upscale crowd around here. If that is you, you can afford to negotiate on the price and you should.
I told the salesman that I can pay cash (always pay cash for a bike) but he was really pushing the Suzuki 1.99 financing. I am thinking of offering them 7G out the door. You know these guys....set up, freight, doc fees, blah blah blah.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If you offer $7k out the door ask for the center stand. Don't get the factory luggage. There is better. If yo are tall and have long legs yo may ask for a discount on the Tall touring seat.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't go $0.01 over $7,000 OTD.

Like most mentioned already, the extended warranty is free to the dealer as long as your bike doesn't need repair. I bought a brand new 09 non-abs wee this exact time last year and paid $6,400 OTD. I got the factory one year warranty, which I haven't used.

All being said, it is YOUR decision and your money. I can tell you this much, you will not find many brand new Strom's on the show room floor ANYWHERE, so if this bike suits you.... get it. As far as liking it.... you will.

$7,000 OTD still puts a few bucks in their pocket and you end up with a brand new bike. Win-Win situation.

My $0.02

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the comments. Suzuki did have some incentives on these bikes a few months ago which might explain why prices were lower.

After all the helpful comments, maybe I will offer him 7 otd with a center stand. He can keep the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thank you for all the comments. Suzuki did have some incentives on these bikes a few months ago which might explain why prices were lower.

After all the helpful comments, maybe I will offer him 7 otd with a center stand. He can keep the extended warranty.
That sounds like a fair offer to me. BTW I paid $6375 OTD back in March of 07 for an 07 non-ABS with heated grips and a soft tail bag thrown in. My other option was an 07 ABS for $7550 with no extras, I really wanted ABS but not for 1200 big ones.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That does sound like a smoking deal. But like you said you did have to invest a day of your time and some travel expense. From what I am sensing these bikes are more common is the western U.S. and east cost. I have been riding sport liter bikes for the last five years so I am expecting a big change, but change is good.
Invest a day and some travel expenses riding a new bike home? I bought mine in Seattle and invested 2 days picking it up and riding it home...two of the best days of my life. Not much downside to a road trip on a new bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Invest a day and some travel expenses riding a new bike home? I bought mine in Seattle and invested 2 days picking it up and riding it home...two of the best days of my life. Not much downside to a road trip on a new bike.
Not a bad idea, but if I am going to do that I better do it soon. A month from now we could be seeing snow in Michigan. I actually found a couple on CL today that look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PRICES

Incidentally, if you get the warranty....there IS a cost to the dealer whether or not it is used.
The dealer pays the warranty company that issues it X amount of dollars. Used or not used is irrelevant to the dealer afterwards, he still has a cost associated with it based on the term.
I deal with extended warranties on a daily basis in my business.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was going to call the dealer today but I'm still not certain about going new. With some travel involved there are some very nice farkled used bikes. There is the 2009 ABS on the site that has really caught my eye.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts