StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April 10, 2014: 2008 V-strom 650 passes 100K mile mark (miles--not KM). So far, my bike has survived 4 accidents (2 with police officers!). At 74K miles, generator/rectifier died--no longer charged battery. At 86K miles, replaced bad starter motor (probably brushes, but was too lazy and inexperienced to take motor apart and change brush assembly). Had starting problems after 90K miles: disassembled starter button and cleaned contacts: did the trick. Other than that, just basic maint. Best tires so far: Michelin Anakee 2/3's. Last very long (even longer than Metzeler ME880's). Also, out of the 5-6 brands I've tried, the Anakee is best rain tire. Best/cost efficient oil: Rotella T6. Favorite spark plug: NGK Iridiums CR8EIX. At 75K miles, developed left fork oil seal leak. Am changing seals this weekend for first time. Need a 24 MM wrench for fork caps.

Ridden through moderate-heavy rain, lightening, hail and Bay Area traffic for 5+ years now. Temperatures from 27 deg. F to 108 in San Ramon, CA. Hope to get at least 50K more miles out of bike: still runs very well.:hurray:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You da man! And your Wee da bike!

Quite a testimonial to Rotella, for sure. I do believe I'll be looking in that direction at the next oil change.

You ever get out Placerville way shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Post like this confirm I purchased the right bike. Congrats and best of luck on the next 100k.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congratulations. This is a bike that endures the challenges ahead. Also, thanks for advices in oil, spark plugs and tires.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know 'we' like to knock Suzuki for getting things wrong, but this is a testament to the fact that they actually DO get it right. As much as I like BMW's, and they get good SS Enterprise mileage, how many people can say that they have such an easy 'carefree' bike? I too made the right choice. Having said that, I started on Suzuki's, had a brief affair with a dozen BM's then back to Suzuki's. Also a well done to maintenance on your part, that is always the clincher :thumbup:
BTW, does anyone inform Suzuki as to the high mileage bikes? Dealers would not as I guess after 20-30k people stop going to dealers and do their own thing? Maybe sooner......

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced left front fork oil seal.

Removed left front damper from bike after tire/fender/brake caliper removal. Followed factory manual instructions, except for using special tool to remove damper rod--did not get tools ordered from Partszilla yet. Fortunately, the bottom bolt came out anyway. Disassembled damper and removed leaking oil seal. Used 43 mm Motion Pro fork seal driver tool to install new seal. Put everything back together, installed 524 mL of new 10 weight fork oil and compressed damper: leaks like a sieve!!! :furious:

Took damper apart again, emptied oil and removed seal. You all can guess what happened: I put seal on upside down. 2nd attempt: put seal in right side up. Put damper back together with fork oil. Compressed damper many times: no leaking. Put damper back on bike and re-installed tire, fender, brake lines and calipers. Test drove bike on quick 20 mile round trip ride: no leaks! The only take away is when I do this again either on the other damper (I did not replace seals because I ran out of time to do it and it is bone dry--no leaks at all) or on my new 2015 Wee Strom, I will double check the polarity of the seal!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Love to hear tales of high mileage Stroms ! Just got mine and 'posts' like this really make me feel like i chose one. Congrats. man...H.:thumbup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Love to hear tales of high mileage Stroms ! Just got mine and 'posts' like this really make me feel like i chose one. Congrats. man...H.:thumbup:
You did choose the right one, guy! She's a little overweight and maybe not the prettiest one at the dance, but I love mine dearly!:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts