StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree, I have a 2004 DL650 which I consider one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned. It is drop dead reliable, great for commuting, fantastic in traffic, very comfortable, handles the twisties as good or better than any bike I’ve ridden, and although some may disagree, a damn good looking bike.
My favorite bike I’ve ever owned was my 2004 KLR650, that KLR and I had many, many awesome adventures together. Though my V-Strom 650 is making a good case for changing that. I find I like it more and more each time I take it for a ride. I’ve got 32,000 miles on the clock, 10,000 of those are mine, and I can see putting at least another 100,000 on it without any major problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good, not great bike. I'd like to have a firmer front brake, the lever travels too far before engaging. The power is acceptable, but modulation is below average. Rear brake also locks very easily, especially under a panic brake situation. Suspension in front is very soft and poorly damped. On the street, it is acceptable, but below average. Rear is about the same. The engine is a jewel. Very flexible delivery with good top end power. It is a bit noisy, but that is fine. Also, the frame is sensational. Can lean the bike over easily, bike holds it's line very well. For what I paid and the mileage on this bike it is a very good bike. Affordable, do it all bike. I am still
uncomfortable off road on it, though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
My favorite bike I’ve ever owned was my 2004 KLR650,
I certainly enjoy mine in Australia. 15 years old and never quits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Super happy with my 2009 650. Absolutely LOVE the bike. Picked it up in NJ end of 2018 with 1,600 miles on it!!! Ten year old “like new” bike. It is everything the video posted. This is my 8th motorcycle and at 54, who only does a couple thousand miles a year of riding, could be the bike I finish this race with 😁 (2 Timothy 4:7). Very solid/safe feel to this bike. I dream like most of you guys of the adventures but with the pace of life it’s not easy to do..... Now that I have this bike that “can” go across country I’m 1 step closer to seeing it through. Yosemite CA is is my dream destination from CT 😁☕ 🏍

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've watched Pavlin's videos on occasion over the last few years. He seems like a very positive person; outgoing, friendly, and level-headed. And man does he ever travel.
I love the Strom's good manners, how it does precisely what you tell it to do. My eyes keep wandering to the more ambitious bikes, the KTM 790 Adventure R and such, buy really the Strom more than suffices. Plus I'm cheap (um, thrifty?). I bought a bargain '05 650 Strom in 2010 as a daily commuter. I put 50,000 more miles (~80,000 KM) on it but damaged the gearbox with a bad shift (won't shift past 2nd gear). I didn't think it worth my time to pull the engine and repair it so I keep it for parts... because I promptly bought low-priced '06 with fewer miles on it last year. I Love the Strom... It's the go-to bike, and I use it much more often than my '83 and '82 CX650 turbos, 1975 KZ400 or my 2013 KLR650. The KLR feels like such a dog after riding the Strom all week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts