StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Been reading some threads on here about possible dangers of lowering front of vstrom if it has ABS....then others saying it's ok unless there's a stering damper on her

Well mine's an 08..only have her a week, dont know if it has ABS .. or a steering damper (do we mean aftermarket or is there something that's factory fiyted??)

Anyhow can anyone explain all for me ??

Cheers :hurray:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I don't have a Strom yet, but the DL1000 never got ABS, only select 650s pre 2011. 2011 and later ABS is standard on the 650.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I don't know if any European DL1000 got ABS. You'd see the speed sending rings on the wheels inside the brake discs, and the model number on the VIN sticker would list something like DL1000A.

The risk on the DL650A is the ABS distribution block for the front. If a fork brace is fitted (highly recommended), then the front that is lowered too far will cause the fork brace to hit the ABS block. It is easy enough for anyone to check this...lower the front (raise the forks), maybe 15mm, then with the bike on the centerstand and a jack under the engine, remove the caps on the front forks which releases the spring compression and let the front all the way down. If no parts hit except inside the forks at full compression, you're safe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The DL1000 can handle up to 19mm without interference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
mine is at 13mm, quickens the steering and makes it feel less like a wheelbarrow :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
geometry

mine is at 13mm, quickens the steering and makes it feel less like a wheelbarrow :)

if you ONLY lowered the front 13mm, it should not make any worthwhile difference in a bike with a long wheelbase such as ours, and a lot of trail (compared to a sportbike)

check your high school geometry

if you really want to make a difference - try that 17" front wheel (from an SV650)

·
38,104 Posts
I happen to have a 13mm lower front end too. Throw away your geometry book and take a ride. The difference is amazing. Besides quicker steering, the lower angle of attack helps prevent aerodynamic lift at higher speeds. The difference is easily noticeable.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll keep my geometry book thankyou

And I'll retain all the known laws of physics :)

13 mm (or similar) shouild make no big never mind

now if you truly feel a difference - then I ask you what is really happening to produce that sensation

too bad we don't live closer - it would be great to have a blind test

·
38,104 Posts
I'm a big believer in double blind tests. Try it. I also believe in the validity of the Placebo effect.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
13mm won't quicken the steering?
Non are as blind as those who choose not to see. Maybe your bike had different physics to all the others that came off the production line.

!7" quickens steering? Sure, that does too!

Saturn 5.... Physics? whats Physics? I know it's a drink.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm a big believer in double blind tests. Try it. I also believe in the validity of the Placebo effect.
+1 on the Placebo effect:thumbup:

10mm made a noticeable difference on mine. Way more than I ever expected.

·
Registered
300 Posts
regardless of what it's called, when you raise the forks in the tree it quickens the steering. (The same can be done by raising the rear shock ride height 13mm but this is not practical.) spend 20 minutes re-adjusting the fork height and you too will feel the difference, they can easily be put back to their place of natural factory origin.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I played around with raising the fork tubes in my Vee. I never measured them, just made sure both sides were even. When I found the setting I liked most, it happened to be 12mm.

I'm sure I'll be able to throw all of this out the window here in the next month as I'm going to install Racetech springs in the forks and also one on the shock. Then I'll have to start from scratch and try it all over again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm sure I'll be able to throw all of this out the window here in the next month as I'm going to install Racetech springs

not really, it just gets better from here with the new springs:yesnod:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I played around with raising the fork tubes in my Vee. I never measured them, just made sure both sides were even. When I found the setting I liked most, it happened to be 12mm.

I'm sure I'll be able to throw all of this out the window here in the next month as I'm going to install Racetech springs in the forks and also one on the shock. Then I'll have to start from scratch and try it all over again.
Are you upgrading to Gold Valves too? I find the front needs more rebound. Would appreciate a report on how the springs work for you! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I happen to have a 13mm lower front end too. Throw away your geometry book and take a ride. The difference is amazing. Besides quicker steering, the lower angle of attack helps prevent aerodynamic lift at higher speeds. The difference is easily noticeable.
One of the best and cheapest mods you can do!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Are you upgrading to Gold Valves too? I find the front needs more rebound. Would appreciate a report on how the springs work for you! :)
No Gold Valves this time. I'm going to see how the forks respond to fresh oil and a different spring rate. The rear shock spring change will also make the forks behave differently so I want to see how the package works as a whole. After a lengthy riding session, I'll decide on what needs to be done in order to complete the suspension tuning for my needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts