StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Local sale of a 2016 DL650xa with super low miles. Is the difference in performance large enough to make the jump from my 2007 or is newer not always better?

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
Endless info here and observations concerning what you just asked, but yes I consider any of the 650's from 12 to current, to be a considerable/worthwhile upgrade to the original design. YOU really need to ride one to compare and come up with your own opinion, you may realize it isn't worth buying newer, especially if your bike is set up nicely for you.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This is a difficult question to answer. Last April I sold my silver 2007 DL650A with 85K miles and bought a red 2014 DL650A with 3K miles. I mainly made the switch because I wanted a red 'Strom instead of silver and the age/miles of the 2007. I don't regret the switch but I did not notice much difference in the performance in terms of power or gas mileage or handling. The specs say 3-4 more HP which I do not notice. Despite the marketing claims, the gas mileage on both bikes is about ~45 MPG but the Gen2 has a smaller gas tank so has shorter range which I hate. Some riders like the updated instrument panel but for me either instrument panel is fine once you get used to it. The Gen2 seems to have more buffeting issues whereas this was never a problem on my Gen1. I'd say that overall the Gen2 is a slightly better bike but the difference isn't so great to force an upgrade. If my K7 had 50K miles I probably would have kept it (it was starting to burn oil and needed a top-end refresh). I got a good deal on the L4 and the difference between what I sold my K7 for and the cost of the L4 was only $2k so in my case it made a lot of sense to do the switch. If your old bike does not have ABS I would upgrade to the Gen2 just to get that safety feature.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ABS is one of my primary reasons I’m thinking about a switch. My 07 only has 24k so not like it’s growing old through miles. If only there was blue and the wifey wouldn’t even notice.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I used to own 5 Wee and now on 4th Wee2. Despite the fact I like more the original design I would never go back. Engine seems to be smoother, longer gears and in your case ABS. Plus all the extra infos on dashboard. From my experience the range is the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having had a 2006 DL 650 and a 2012 Adventure for 6 years each, I would strongly advise purchasing the newer model. It is a significant upgrade in comfort, engine smoothness and linearity of power delivery. Buffeting is non-existent with the stock Adventure windscreen, a huge improvement over the 2006. Instrumentation is improved as is fuel mileage. Suspension is better as well. I can’t think of a single item on the 2012 that would be considered to be of lesser quality than the previous generation, plus ABS is standard. Not a giant leap forward, but a definite improvement.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Instead of the silly plastics on the sides of the tank, why didn't Suzuki just make it all tank? The extra few litres would have made more sense.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Instead of the silly plastics on the sides of the tank, why didn't Suzuki just make it all tank? The extra few litres would have made more sense.
Weight I suppose...

They're known for being top heavy which is one of the reasons a lot more females aren't riding them...my wife included.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts