StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a short ride, stopped at traffic light, when letting out the clutch bike gasped and stalled, would not restart. Checked and the lights were not coming on so i tried to check for start switch problem which i had once before and fixed. I jumped across the 2 light wires in the start switch and the lights came on. Thought if i jumped the other 2 contacts the starter would turn. no such luck. Need a little help to resolve.
Thanks Howie

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Did it crank? If nothing, check the clutch lever switch connections.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Did it crank? If nothing, check the clutch lever switch connections.
+1. There's a little connector right by the clutch lever, looks almost like a little phone jack. Those are notorious for popping loose. Also the obvious - make sure you didn't hit your kill switch by accident and that the sidestand is up.

Hey, it happens......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just trailer the bike home and am cleaning the startswitch, If i jump the starter solenoid does that eliminate the starter switch?? Should the engine crank when the starter solenoid is jumped??

·
38,103 Posts
The starter button activates the solenoid so shorting the large solenoid connections will directly spin the starter. Did you check the clutch lever switch?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem resolved, cleaned start switch and inst new battery.
Thanks for the help
Will installing EB relay wiring resolve the start switch problem??

·
38,103 Posts
Headlight relays will take the load off involved connectors and contacts, including the starter switch. That being said, the starter contacts are different from the headlight contacts. Were they dirty, corroded or what? Dry or coated with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned the start switch apx 2yrs ago and coated all with dielectric grease. Did the same today. Found the switch contacts dirty and the spring under the movable contacts to be compressed more than i would like. More than a dirty switch i think the fact the battery had only 55 cranking amps was the cause of the problem. Possibly just replacing the battery would have fixed the no start but i feel better having cleaned the switch. I will install EB relays asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts